Why doesn't Windows like me anymore?

vbimport

Okay, I felt that my system was getting a little bogged down and needed a reinstall. Nothing unusual about that, so I backed up my important files and reinstalled Windows XP.
It all went smooth as it use to do and it didn’t take long until my desktop with the default rolling hill was staring at me.
Fine I thought, let’s start installing.

So I loaded SP1, Winrar, Antivirus and other essential stuff.
To top it off I installed WMP9 (I happen(ed) to like that player, please don’t flame me :)).
After a while (half an hour or so and many reboots) my Windows was terribly slow. Even worse than it was before! I think, this is not right, a fresh install and it stalls after half an hour!

So I make sure I have the correct drivers installed, run Windows Update etc.
Still slow (bringing up the right-click menu on the desktop took 3 minutes), now I start pulling my hair.
So I look around in properties for my computer. I check the advanced tab and sees that Windows has set my swapfile to 3 GIGABYTES!
I have 1 GB RAM, but windows obviously didn’t think that was enough. Set it back to 384-512 and voila, system is fast again.
Now I tell myself to play some mp3’s to calm down (in WMP9 as I didn’t have Winamp installed).

Windows Media player locks up my computer.
I reboot and open WMP again. Lockup.
At this point in time, I’m very angry, tired and my legs ache after todays running excercise.

Thank god for system-restore (and Winamp, once again my default player)

This is what makes me like Linux more and more…

The size of the page file, 3Gb, isn’t that strange. I’ve got 1 Gb of memory as well, and Windows allocates 2426MB of memory. That doesn’t surprise me at all.

WMP9 crashing on MP3’s? As playing MP3 is quite a common functionality, I ask myself whether those MP3s you where trying to playing had some specific properties?

One suggestion, install SP1 and all updates before installing any drivers or software.

Ever heard of Windows2000?

I have the same prob with wmp9 (i like it too :wink: ) i found that when I do a fresh install then install sp1 and then all the drivers wmp9 works ok, but if I install any codec packs before I use wmp9 it locks up when I try to use it or any other player ( like the player in kazaa lite or the divx player). So i usually have to uninstall all my codec packs run wmp9 then reinstall the codec packs :confused: very unusual but it works for me.

for page files, you should do a bootup defrag to clean out the fragments in that page file, and i also set my page files on both hard disks to 1.5gb static page files so it allocates that space for when it needs to use it,diskeeper is a good defrag utility

Originally posted by slayerking
I have the same prob with wmp9 (i like it too :wink: ) i found that when I do a fresh install then install sp1 and then all the drivers wmp9 works ok, but if I install any codec packs before I use wmp9 it locks up when I try to use it or any other player ( like the player in kazaa lite or the divx player). So i usually have to uninstall all my codec packs run wmp9 then reinstall the codec packs :confused: very unusual but it works for me.

I’ll try that cause I did install codecs before WMP9…

I’ll try that cause I did install codecs before WMP9…
It does it to me everytime! i’ve got it down to xvid or nimo codecs that do it. When I uninstall them it works fine.

How often do you reinstall XP. I found it to be very reliable and havent had a need to do a reinstall yet. I have had it for over a year now. I think its disk management is far superb compared to 98, I mean its basically a suped-up win2k. After a simple defrag every 2mo or so its never slow. To clean registry I use System mechanic. And ad-aware for spy-ware. Norton Corp for viruses but I never even use Norton because I own every original and only download movies and mp3’s. I use norton for any .exe I get on rare occasion and scan then. Using this process I never had to do a reinstall ever. Even my younger sister who doesnt know heads or tails about the computer hasn’t had XP crap out on her. Ohyeah I also tweak it out like crazy, if anyone needs tweaks I have shitloads of them.

@Airhead
ok I done some testing and found out when I install nimo codec pack with a full install, wmp9 crashes. When I install nimo codec pack basic install (just codecs) it works perfectly.
Hope this helps :wink: .

@xtacydima
I do a fresh install every 1 1/2 to 2 months. Defrag at least once every week (usually every time I install a new program). Clean the registry every time I unistall something. I use grisoft AVG antivirus, In my opinion its the best and its FREE.