Why does my Lite-ON SHW-160P6S have probs reading +R Media

vbimport

Hello Guys/Gals,

Been here after a very long time. :smiley:

My Lite-ON SHW-160P6S (PS0B) is acting strange lately. At first I thought that the media I burnt got bad but, I now I observe that it has stopped reading +R Media all together.

Does it mean that it’s time to get a new burner or what?

I run Windows Vista Business.

Any help would be appreciated.

I see PS0C is out. I plan to flash my drive with but, would it help? I feel know coz PS0B was reading +R media fine all these days.

My guess would be that it is “only” DVD+R media with DVD-ROM Booktype or is it also with non booktyped DVD+R media ?

[QUOTE=minaelromany;2038040]My guess would be that it is “only” DVD+R media with DVD-ROM Booktype or is it also with non booktyped DVD+R media ?[/QUOTE]
Hi!

Indeed the disks are DVD+R discs with DVD-ROM BookType Setting. All my +R media is set to DVD-ROM BookType.

Tried change the book type back to +R using LiteON’s BookType Utility. It says that it has been changed but, when I re-insert the disc, i see that BT is again DVD-ROM.

Vista indentifies the media as blank but, CD-DVD Speed indentifies it as closed.

Just successfully played all these +R disks in my LG DVD/DivX Player.

OK, I’d like to report a new finding.

I mostly use Moser Baer’s whether +R or -R. All MB +R are not working but, all -Rs are.

Only ONE +R worked. That is a Sony and was burnt in a BenQ and not this drive.

What does this indicate? Bad Drive or what? Is it time for me to go shopping again?

Please, any input would be really appreciated.

In Nero CD/DVD Speed it says media type is DVD+RW , right ?

RMA the drive if still under warranty and get a replacement or buy a new one

I’ve had 3 LiteOn 20A1Ps die with the same problem :a

[QUOTE=minaelromany;2038580]In Nero CD/DVD Speed it says media type is DVD+RW , right ?

RMA the drive if still under warranty and get a replacement or buy a new one

I’ve had 3 LiteOn 20A1Ps die with the same problem :a[/QUOTE]
Hey man,

You seem to have gone through this, Indeed Nero CD/DVD Speed recognises MBI +R media as DVD+RW.

I’m definately out of warranty. :sad:

Man that’s bad - 3 drives.

I think it’s time to go shopping.

And BTW, I flashed the drive to PS0C and as expected nothing changed/improved.

[QUOTE=darshanjog;2038609]And BTW, I flashed the drive to PS0C and as expected nothing changed/improved.[/QUOTE]

Nothing will ever make a difference , believe me I’ve gone through this 3 times with literally hundreds of attempts but RMA’d them one by one at the end

20A4P seems to be going well till this moment and it is an excellent all arund burner :slight_smile:

Mine had a similar problem and still works (so far anyway), after restoring EEPROM and cleaning lens. Worth a try anyway. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Cressida;2038658]Mine had a similar problem and still works (so far anyway), after restoring EEPROM and cleaning lens. Worth a try anyway. :)[/QUOTE]
Hmmm…

That’s a good idea. BTW, how do you restor the EEPROM.

and which cleaner to use - Dry or Wet? I have a the Dry one i.e. a CD-ROM having a small soft brush on the downside.

[QUOTE=minaelromany;2038644]Nothing will ever make a difference , believe me I’ve gone through this 3 times with literally hundreds of attempts but RMA’d them one by one at the end

20A4P seems to be going well till this moment and it is an excellent all arund burner :)[/QUOTE]
Thank’s for the recommendation but, Samsung 203B seems the current Top burner.

You seem to have it. How is it? First hand Pros and Cons would be helpful :slight_smile:

Samsung 203B is no where near the quality of 20A4P regarding burning DVD media , it is an excellent CD-R burner though .

I can post hundreds of scans in which 20A4P has way lower PIF/PIE/Jitter with quality DVD media than 203B including Panasonic TYG03 / MCC004 / MCC 03RG20 (203B burns these nicly though if strategy swapped with MXL RG04) / T02 / OPTODISCR16 and the list go on and on

I use my 203B as a CD Burner only ATM :wink:

[QUOTE=darshanjog;2038880]Hmmm…

That’s a good idea. BTW, how do you restor the EEPROM.

and which cleaner to use - Dry or Wet? I have a the Dry one i.e. a CD-ROM having a small soft brush on the downside.[/QUOTE]

An EEPROM restore can only be done if you’ve made a backup previously (preferably when the drive was new). I only mentioned it as a routine measure, as I’m not sure it played a role in keeping my drive operational.

I cleaned the lens (carefully) with a Q-tip and some desinfectant alcohol after opening up the drive. Cleaning discs probably aren’t as effective and some say they may even knock the optics out of alignment (no personal experience).

Looking at minaelromany’s experience, it’ll be a slim chance, but I’ve been using mine a lot since cleaning and the recognition of booktyped DVD+R hasn’t been a problem at all anymore.

[QUOTE=minaelromany;2039313]Samsung 203B is no where near the quality of 20A4P regarding burning DVD media , it is an excellent CD-R burner though .

I can post hundreds of scans in which 20A4P has way lower PIF/PIE/Jitter with quality DVD media than 203B including Panasonic TYG03 / MCC004 / MCC 03RG20 (203B burns these nicly though if strategy swapped with MXL RG04) / T02 / OPTODISCR16 and the list go on and on

I use my 203B as a CD Burner only ATM ;)[/QUOTE]
Hmm…

Then the Samsung is out of question. I don’t burn CD-Rs now days. May be occassionally but, now it’s only DVDs :stuck_out_tongue:

And for the CD-R I have my Litey CD Writer 48246S which is very good.

Got to check out the one you mentioned. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Cressida;2039330]An EEPROM restore can only be done if you’ve made a backup previously (preferably when the drive was new). I only mentioned it as a routine measure, as I’m not sure it played a role in keeping my drive operational.

I cleaned the lens (carefully) with a Q-tip and some desinfectant alcohol after opening up the drive. Cleaning discs probably aren’t as effective and some say they may even knock the optics out of alignment (no personal experience).

Looking at minaelromany’s experience, it’ll be a slim chance, but I’ve been using mine a lot since cleaning and the recognition of booktyped DVD+R hasn’t been a problem at all anymore.[/QUOTE]
I don’t have the time nor patience to open up the drive and clean the lense. 2 years back may be I would have done it but, now impossible.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. DVD Burner’s are cheap now so, I guess I should buy a new one.

Any specific model you recommend?

[QUOTE=darshanjog;2039891]I don’t have the time nor patience to open up the drive and clean the lense. 2 years back may be I would have done it but, now impossible.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. DVD Burner’s are cheap now so, I guess I should buy a new one.

Any specific model you recommend?[/QUOTE]

I see you’re getting advice in a new thread. The LiteOn 20A3(P/H/S) is my favourite drive at the moment.

Yup. I thought opening up another thread for the advice would be better :slight_smile:

Forgot to link you guys there :stuck_out_tongue:

Am sorry.

Lemme just check out the drive you mentioned.