Why does my IDE burner show as a SCSI?

vbimport

I installed a Lite-On LDW-411S Combo Burner with a Pinnacle Studio AV/DV video editing package that included Cyberlink PowerDVD XP ver 4.0 and Sonic MyDVD. I can play & burn audio CD’s fine but can’t play or burn DVD’s.

I have the Burner connected as Master on the secondary IDE channel. In Device Manager it shows up as a SCSI Cdrom Device located at Bus Number 0, Target ID 1, LUN 0 using driver cdrom.sys.

I have an EPOX 8K3A+ motherboard with an Athlon XP 1800, Windows XP Home, 1G RAM, onboard Raid 0 with two 40G drives for video storage. The OS and misc files are on a 40G drive on the Primary IDE channel.

Smartburn and InfoTool from LiteOn find the burner OK so maybe it doesn’t matter that Device manager thinks it’s a SCSI device.

I tried to access the burner using LtnFW, Mktflash & MktWinFlash and they all locked up my machine, requiring the Power Off button to restart.

Is there some way to tell Device Manager this is an IDE drive?

Do you think this is related to why I can’t read a DVD?

reinstall the Burner. Delete the burner out of the Device manager, and reboot. See if windows finds the right device this time. The burner shouldnt be recognized as a SCSI Device.

If that doesnt help, try installing the newest VIA drivers for your mainboard.

I installed a Lite-On LDW-411S Combo Burner with a Pinnacle Studio AV/DV video editing package that included Cyberlink PowerDVD XP ver 4.0 and Sonic MyDVD. I can play & burn audio CD’s fine but can’t play or burn DVD’s.

I have the Burner connected as Master on the secondary IDE channel. In Device Manager it shows up as a SCSI Cdrom Device located at Bus Number 0, Target ID 1, LUN 0 using driver cdrom.sys.

Have you installed the VIA IDE miniport driver? This driver will make all IDE devices appear as SCSI. It also causes problem with CD and DVD burning softwares for many people. Uninstall the driver unless you absolutely have to have it. You can find more info at viaarena.com. There is also a lot of discussions about the miniport drivers at forums.viaarena.com.

Frank53, many thanks for your reply to the original poster. Although I didn’t find it soon enough to stop me burning a few new beer coasters it’s much appreciated.

I’d upgraded my Motherboard drivers to the latest available VIA ones and it must have screwed things up. As soon as I removed them I could burn to my hearts content!

I was the original poster. I haven’t replied in a while because I am ashamed to say that I took the easy way out. I tried all of the suggestions, including reinstalling the updated VIA drivers, and still couldn’t get it to work, so I took it back to Circuit City and paid $40 to upgrade to a Sony DRU-530A. I installed it, loaded the software, and it worked the first time.

I’ve heard good things about Lite-On but I don’t think much of the 411-s.