Why does my burner flash red and yellow during burn?

vbimport

I have done all that I can to find this out, have defragged my computer, tried a few diffirent firmwares but every burn that I do doesnt have a continuos red when burning, can anyone help?

My specs are

1.7 ghz Athalon Processor
512mb ram

Thanks

Is your burner in DMA mode?

yes in dma mode.

Originally posted by bootlegboy2
yes in dma mode.

Oh right, you already posted about this over a week ago. Next time, please continue your old thread instead of starting a new one. That way, I don’t end up suggesting the same things I suggeted before.

So let’s see here…
-Both drives are in DMA…
-HDD is defragged…
-I take is that you don’t have many memory-intensive / HDD-intensive things running in the background?

Hmm… interesting… What IDE drivers are you using? Also, what’s the specs for your HDD? What mode is it in (ATA-66, ATA-100, etc.?) and what is its RPM?

Finally, do you have another computer that you could try this on? Perhaps a friend’s computer?

Thanks alot codeboy, your sarcastic comments are much appreciated, do you try and make people think they are stupid on purpose or did it take quite a bit of training, as I said in my post have tried everything that you mentioned, but it still does the same.

Thanks alot codeboy, your sarcastic comments are much appreciated, do you try and make people think they are stupid on purpose or did it take quite a bit of training, as I said in my post have tried everything that you mentioned, but it still does the same.

How was I sarcastic? Halfway through typing my message, I realized that this sounded familiar, went & checked, and found that this was actually an continuation of an old thread, and ended up deleting what I typed because I was about to repeat some of the general comments that I said in that old thread. Hence my comment regarding continuing old threads instead of starting new ones, so that people have a “history” of what has already been said (which incidentally, saves us work).

And in my post, I simply reiterated things that you said (not being sarcastic), making kind of a checklist of things ruled out, and then concluded with a request for an extra piece of information as well as another suggestion.

I’m sorry if I came across as being sarcastic, but I simply don’t see how my post could be interpreted as such.

Say what you want but code65536 is right here. If everybody does the same, we go crazy. It’s just that if we do not ask for following rules, nobody will do.

Ok, my apolgies, to you coddy. Anyway, can anyone suggest anything else, or suggest the best firmwear for me?

Ok, my apolgies, to you coddy. Anyway, can anyone suggest anything else, or suggest the best firmwear for me?

Well, the firmware shouldn’t be the cause of the problem.

Right now, there are two possibilities…

1. The drive is defective, in which case, you RMA it and get another one
  2. There is something misconfigured in your system… software misconfiguration, driver misconfiguration, hardware misconfiguration, etc.

Normally, I’d lean towards #2, but you’ve tried and exhausted a number of the possible causes for #2. But if the problem really is #2, then returning the drive and getting the new one will solve nothing, as you’ll still have the same problem, which is why it would be nice to determine for sure if it’s #1 or #2. One way of doing so would be to try it in another computer. Do you have another computer to try it in? Or a friend who would be willing to let you try it in his/her computer? Trying it in another computer will give a more clear verdict on #1 vs. #2.

dont have anyone to give it to, so still scratching my head, only had the drive for about a month.

Two things:

• Is it doing the same things when burning cds as well as dvds ?
  • What’s is your mobo chipset ? KT133 ? or if you dunno, give the mobo model ?

Using Nero InfoTool before burning can cause this problem. If you run Nero InfoTool, then restart your computer before burning a disc.

It doesnt do it when burning cd’s just dvd’s and im using Alcohol 120 to copy them.

It doesnt do it when burning cd’s just dvd’s and im using Alcohol 120 to copy them.

/sarcasm on
It´s a h*ll off a compu you have:
-1.7 ghz Athalon Processor
-512mb ram
-Alcohol 120
/end sarcasm.

BTW, when I burn DVD´s at 8X speed, my drive (411@811) is blinking yellow… many times. :smiley: And produces perfect burns. What type of drive do you have?

Sorry what’s wrong with my system?? If all people are gonna do is flame me then can they please no bother posting, it doesnt make you hard or intelligent.

I have a Celeron 1.4 GHz with only 384 MB of RAM, and my 8x burns can keep up, so processor-wise and memory-wise, you should be fine.

Chasing down possibility #2 a bit more…

1. What’s your setup? Are you using the motherboard’s IDE controller or an IDE card? What’s the chipset of the controller, whether it’s mobo or IDE card? Where is your HDD connected (pri. master, etc.?)? Where is your burner connected?
  2. What’s the specs for your HDD? In cases like this, it’s not so much the processor/memory specs that matter, but the HDD specs.
  3. What drivers are you using for your IDE controller?
  4. What’s your operating system?

How long does the light stays yellow before turning red again?
If it’s only for a few sec.,this could happen when your drive changes speed…

Asking again: what’s the chipset of your motherboard ?

most likely as was suggested before you are experiencing buffer underruns…

so here are some suggestions:

in alcohol there is a buffer bar check the bar and see what it shows. if it is repeatedly going to 0 this will cause the drive light to change color and suspend writing until the buffer is refilled.

another question/suggestion: if you are recording on-the-fly then stop and create and then burn images.

next suggestion is to try the software that came with the drive. this will determine if the problem rests with the alcohol software or the system setup.

also you have been asked repeatedly about the motherboard. this is because there are certain chipsets that will cause problems. please reply with your motherboard chipset or let us know if you need help to locate it.

in your first post you noted that 4x burning is faster than 8x. that will happen if the drive is repeatedly starting and stopping while the buffer is emptying and refilling. if you can give us more info we may be able to help you so you can get a steady stream of data to the drive so you can burn at 8x.

you also noted that the dvd burns 4% fast and then slows. this is because the drive is zoned to burn the first 4% at 4x then to 6x for a while and then an 8x zone. this again plays into a scenario that requires the info and testing on your part noted above.

thanks

My writer is connected via ide controller, and my hard drive is connected as the master, my writer is also the master on the other channel, and my reader is the slave. My hardrive is a 40gb, how do I find out what chipset ect that I have?? Sorry if I sound thick, just not totally 100% whizkidd, you know how it is!!