Why does DVDFab create \downloads directory?

vbimport

I’ve been running DVDFab 5 Platinum on Vista x86 with no problems at all. However, I’ve noticed that it every time I start the application, it creates a \downloads directory in my \user directory tree. I’ve searched the regsitry and don’t see where this is configurable and and I’d like to disable it as it screws with my backup software.

How can I tell DVDFab to stop creating this \users\downloads directory?

thanks!

[quote=TowJam;2150308]I’ve been running DVDFab 5 Platinum on Vista x86 with no problems at all. However, I’ve noticed that it every time I start the application, it creates a \downloads directory in my \user directory tree. I’ve searched the regsitry and don’t see where this is configurable and and I’d like to disable it as it screws with my backup software.

How can I tell DVDFab to stop creating this \users\downloads directory?

thanks![/quote]
Open common setting—> General …and remove the check mark next to “Check for new versions”

Thanks but that’s not making any difference. Even with that option deselected - and changing the target output and temporary directories to a local emp directory, it is still creating the \downloads directory. There are no applicable references in the regisitry (at least that I can find) so it looks like this is a hardcoded function.

If there are any other ideas, I’m all ears.

are you sure its dvdfab creating the folder? because it does not happen for me.

It only creates a folder a" My Documents" to use for files until they are burned. After the burn you can keep them or have them deleted by DVD Fab. It only creates the folder once.

[QUOTE=troy512;2150529]are you sure its dvdfab creating the folder? because it does not happen for me.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=alan1476;2150536]It only creates a folder a" My Documents" to use for files until they are burned. After the burn you can keep them or have them deleted by DVD Fab. It only creates the folder once.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I’ve never seen or heard of this[I] \users\downloads directory[/I].
Darn peculiar behavior, for sure.

Hey Alan, good to see you around…:iagree:
Hi Troy.

Vista creates a users\downloads folder and unless otherwise specified puts downloaded files in it. Could this be the same folder?

[QUOTE=90312;2150554]Vista creates a users\downloads folder and unless otherwise specified puts downloaded files in it. Could this be the same folder?[/QUOTE]

A-ha. Thanks 90.
I guess this should have occurred to me, but thankfully I have no experience with Vista.
You’ll have to pry XP Pro out of my cold, clammy hands.

I’ll think hang on until windows 7 gets past beta.
Hey, I think I heard that win-doh:doh:z 98 is out of beta…woohoo…:bigsmile:

Yeah, I think they have worked the bugs out of 98! LOL!

Just to clarify (and my apologies for the confusion):

[ul]
[li]The directory being created is under c:\users\myUserName\downloads.
[/li][li]Vista is NOT creating this directory. DVDFab IS. I exit DVDFab, delete the \downloads directory, restart DVDFab and watch the \downloads directory created and a \documents\DVDFab directory created under that.
[/li][li]The behavior only repros with DVDFab - not with any other app.
[/li][/ul]

It’s more of an annoyance than anything else but as good as DVDFab is, there has got to be a way that I can disable this.

On a side note, I run Vista (Home Premium and Ultimate) on 5 different machines - including 4 laptops 24x7. Other than the usual UAC annoyances (which can be disabled), it’s been rock solid.

I’m not arguing the point TowJam, but this cut & paste is from Vista’s help - finding a downloaded file.

"To find a file you have downloaded
Open your personal folder by clicking the Start button , and then clicking your user name at the top of the Start menu’s right pane.

Double-click one of the following folders:

Downloads

Documents

Pictures

Videos

Music"

so I’m pretty sure Vista puts one there, maybe DVDFab does I don’t know.

Yes this may be what the op is talking about, which is not not a DVDFab issue at all…and depending on your version of vista you can make a settings change within the system.

[quote=90312;2150721]I’m not arguing the point TowJam, but this cut & paste is from Vista’s help - finding a downloaded file.

"To find a file you have downloaded
Open your personal folder by clicking the Start button , and then clicking your user name at the top of the Start menu’s right pane.

Double-click one of the following folders:

Downloads

Documents

Pictures

Videos

Music"

so I’m pretty sure Vista puts one there, maybe DVDFab does I don’t know.[/quote]

I’ll run a filemon on it and see if I can figure how which process is creating it. The reason I was so sure (up until now) that Vista wasn’t creating it, is because after deleting the directory, it only reappears after running DVDFab. I’ve not been able to repro this with any other app.

Thanks for the pointer - it looks like I have some homework to do.

It may very well be that Fab’s calling home routine is causing Vista to create a download folder?

Dear all,

DVDFab don’t create “download” sub-folder in “Users” folder on vista.

I’m sure the folder is created by another app.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

[quote=TowJam;2150805]I’ll run a filemon on it and see if I can figure how which process is creating it. The reason I was so sure (up until now) that Vista wasn’t creating it, is because after deleting the directory, it only reappears after running DVDFab. I’ve not been able to repro this with any other app.

Thanks for the pointer - it looks like I have some homework to do.[/quote]
"The directory being created is under c:\users\myUserName[B]downloads[/B]"
That folder “[B]Downloads[/B]” at that directory location can not be deleted permanently, it is a folder used by the operating system for storage of downloads that you create from the internet.

Have a nice day :flower:
SJ :cool: