Why does dvd need erasing before writing

I can burn 200 MB video file to a 4.7 GB DVD but when i try to burn a second one it says I have to erase the disc? I think it might be to do with finalising the disc? Where do I turn this off in ImageBurn

Thanks

I think you’re doing it wrong. Why not put all the files in one big session? Use the normal write data dvd and put all the files you want to write on it.

Thanks for the reply

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2451087]I think you’re doing it wrong. Why not put all the files in one big session? [/QUOTE] Because i do not have them all ready. I thought a rw disc could be written to many times without erasing the first one as long as there was space

[QUOTE=david banner;2451089]I thought a rw disc could be written to many times without erasing the first one as long as there was space[/QUOTE] That is also correct, but then you have more than one session. This is alled a multisession disc.

If you prepare your disc for multisession burning it should be no problem to add more sessions to your disc.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2451107]That is also correct, but then you have more than one session. This is alled a multisession disc.[/quote] OK

If you prepare your disc for multisession burning it should be no problem to add more sessions to your disc.
how do i prepare it. I have now ticked close disc

Thanks

If you have closed the disc, you cannot re-open it. You are required to erase the rw frist. If selectable in your program use a multisession dvd template and do not close your disc, only the session.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2451139]If you have closed the disc, you cannot re-open it. You are required to erase the rw frist. [/quote] Oh i see OK

If selectable in your program use a multisession dvd template
I do not see that option

do not close your disc, only the session.
Ok thank you
Edit: should close session be chosen before or after burning? i get an werror message when i try

It seems Imgburn can’t make multisession discs. Use Nero.

Open ImgBurn, go to TOOLS-Settings and click on Write tab.
In write mode you will see DAO/SAO, change it to TAO (track at once).

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2451149]Open ImgBurn, go to TOOLS-Settings and click on Write tab.
In write mode you will see DAO/SAO, change it to TAO (track at once).[/QUOTE]
There is only DAO and incremental. No TAO

Thanks

What version do you have?
Latest is 2.5.0.0
ImgBurn is free so you can update it.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2451233]What version do you have?[/quote] 2.4.0.0

Latest is 2.5.0.0
ImgBurn is free so you can update it.

OK
BTW I also have latest BurnAware and it does not have the option of multi session as claimed at http://www.burnaware.com/products.html

Thanks for the help

I have version 2500 now with TAO

Even with TAO chosen as write type I cannot burn again without erasing? It says disc needs erasing before burning again

Sorry I guess ImgBurn is not capable to burn multi session data DVD.
I tried “Incremental” mode and it does the same, closing disc at the end.
I use Nero for data burning and that one is fine. It does allow to add files later on same disc, but if you burn later files, the option to not close the session is grayed out, which make me to be suspicious as what Nero does during formatting. If it format disc for “packet write”, you may not be able to read it on other machine or when you change software. I got burned like this once, so I stay away from that.
Only way to get files back, in that case, is to use ISOBuster (not free).

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2451331]Sorry I guess ImgBurn is not capable to burn multi session data DVD.
I tried “Incremental” mode and it does the same, closing disc at the end.
I use Nero for data burning and that one is fine. It does allow to add files later on same disc, but if you burn later files, the option to not close the session is grayed out, which make me to be suspicious as what Nero does during formatting. If it format disc for “packet write”, you may not be able to read it on other machine or when you change software. I got burned like this once, so I stay away from that.
Only way to get files back, in that case, is to use ISOBuster (not free).[/QUOTE]
Have you used burnaware.it says the free version can do multisession but i cannot find that in the options
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/BurnAware-Free/1212419334/2

I newer used that one, but just downloaded it to my machine and will see if it can do it. Will let you know, but is is limited software.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2451344]I newer used that one, but just downloaded it to my machine and will see if it can do it. Will let you know, but is is limited software.[/QUOTE]
Just discovered there is an option to [B]multi session under create data dvd in burnaware free.[/B] just checking now if i can write another file without erasing. will post back

[B]EDIT:[/B] Yes i was able to write another file. I think it strange that data dvd is used to describe video

[B]EDIT:[/B] Now burning third file to the same dvd. Thanks guys for the feedback. It was driving me mad

Thanks for the link. It looks like a good software.
The software works fine. I guess you figured it out also.
You just have to click on next icon down “DVD Video”, than “Create data DVD”.
Just one think, once the add file, window open and you will see an icon that looks like a gear (next to DVD title box), click on that and make sure that “Finalize Disc” is [B]not checked[/B]. There are other options you can check there also.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2451354]Thanks for the link. It looks like a good software.[/quote] you are welcome, enjoy it

The software works fine. I guess you figured it out also.
At last!

Just one think, once the add file, window open and you will see an icon that looks like a gear (next to DVD title box), click on that and make sure that “Finalize Disc” is [B]not checked[/B]. There are other options you can check there also.
Got that too

Good.
Happy burning.
I would not get rid off ImgBurn as that is only software reliably burning double layer DVD.