Why does CloneDVD take soooo long?

vbimport

Hi everyone, I am new here and found this site while trying to get some info on AnyDVD and CloneDVD. I have just installed the free trial versions of both and tried them out last night. I want to make backups of all my DVD movies and these programs were recommended to me. My questions is…why is it taking 12+ hours to do this??? I started last night at 10:00pm and it is 82% complete this morning at 8:00am. I have read other posts where people were frustrated with 1.5 hours. My computer is a Gateway Media Center edition that is 1.5 years old running XP. Is there a way to speed this up or is there a better “shrinking” program out there? I am new to this as well…didn’t know about shrinking until last night! Thanks so much for any help!! :slight_smile:

That combo works for me with average speed of ~40 mins/ XP 3.8Ghz 2 Gb Ram. I don’t inderstand the time difference.

Before you start copying, defrag your HDD, diasable your antivirus and firewall.

How many programs do you have in start up? They may be eating all your ram.

======================

Thanks for the help! So I only need to disable my antivirus software (McAfee is what I have installed) while I am making a copy? Also, when you say “how many programs do I have in start up”…are you referring to the START menu at the bottom left of the screen? There are 11 icons on the left half, which are also pasted to my desktop as shortcuts. I do have a lot of desktop shortcut icons…should I dump some of them? Thanks!! :disagree:

you can RUN, type MSCONFIG, the startup and diable all then restart. windows will load what it needs to run.

More information on the system and hardware involved would be required in order to recommend more definitive solution.

If the hardware is not optimized, the time required for transcoding may be extended.

It may be prudent to ensure that the hard drives and optical drives are configured for optimum data transfer. Make sure DMA is enabled on both (if applicable).
A fragmented hard drive or a file system with errors may also extend the process undesirably. Check the hard drive for errors and defrag as required.

Since the copying process is CPU intensive, you may want to observe Task Manager to determine if the system is already under excessive load. If it is then the remaining CPU cycles may not be enough to complete the task in the usual time frame.

[QUOTE=Nemesys;1995992]More information on the system and hardware involved would be required in order to recommend more definitive solution.

If the hardware is not optimized, the time required for transcoding may be extended.

It may be prudent to ensure that the hard drives and optical drives are configured for optimum data transfer. Make sure DMA is enabled on both (if applicable).
A fragmented hard drive or a file system with errors may also extend the process undesirably. Check the hard drive for errors and defrag as required.

Since the copying process is CPU intensive, you may want to observe Task Manager to determine if the system is already under excessive load. If it is then the remaining CPU cycles may not be enough to complete the task in the usual time frame.[/QUOTE]

Its also a “drive issue” sorry my bad english but if you have a dvd Drive (ROM or burner) which has a “rip lock” in it, theres a good chance that this might be the failure.
See if you have this “rip lock” embedded in your drives firmware , they slow down in reading speed from 16x to 3x on single pressed dics and from 12x to 2x, means as soon the drives realise you put a pressed dvd in, they slow [B]their reading speed down[/B] which means it takes ages to get the dvd read on the hdd.
Good drives who dont have a “rip lock” is the Samsung 203( sata writer) and Liteon drives (Burner and Rom)´if you have ide ports, just buy a dvd rom or a burner liteon/samsung which ist metioned on this site:

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/

take the rip lock free firmware, update, get rid of region code lock and enjoy (new liteon dvd rom is about 15 EUR/20$/ new Samsung burner 35 EUR/40$)
Then you can get fast rips in less than an hour. My old grandpa Athlon xp 2800 and 512mb ram does a perfect shrink copy including writing in less than 25minutes.

Good Luck :smiley:

[QUOTE=alanamarie;1995961]Hi everyone, I am new here and found this site while trying to get some info on AnyDVD and CloneDVD. I have just installed the free trial versions of both and tried them out last night. I want to make backups of all my DVD movies and these programs were recommended to me. My questions is…why is it taking 12+ hours to do this??? I started last night at 10:00pm and it is 82% complete this morning at 8:00am. I have read other posts where people were frustrated with 1.5 hours. My computer is a Gateway Media Center edition that is 1.5 years old running XP. Is there a way to speed this up or is there a better “shrinking” program out there? I am new to this as well…didn’t know about shrinking until last night! Thanks so much for any help!! :)[/QUOTE]

I would agree with Nemesys we need more info on your system hardware and software setups?? Like what kind of MCE edition do you have and is it Service Pack updated or not? How much RAM do you have and how big is your HDD and what is your CPU speed? What else do you have running in your taskbar? I have AVir AV running and I don’t see a need to disable the AV also I have Zonealarm pro and both of those progam are running. Can you tell us the exact version of Anydvd and CloneDVD that your using and also how do you have your HDD and Burner setup as in jumpers or SATA. Also DMA or not…plus what kinda DVD are you trying to backup and as well if you can tell us or not what media type are you using? What are you doing at the same time on the computer when your burning and does it come up with any other errors?? It seems alot to ask but the more info we can get in reply back we can at least get to narrow down what is causing the long burn process…also make sure you dont have any kind of malware or virus running amuck on your system as well…Also I used Macafee and Norton AV and didn’t in the end like those two programs…so I switched to Avira AntiVirus…and this free program doesn’t hog down my system and worked well in the catch virus arena…so that might be one thing you should look into that Macafee might be the slowing of your burning area…What if any kinda of firewall do you have as well??

Thank you everyone that replied to my post and helped me with this!!! I have done the disk defrag as suggested…which was LONG overdue! Been awhile since I last did that! I also uninstalled a lot of programs that I no longer used but still had hanging around on my system so I cleared up a bit of space that way too. I also realized that I had all the subtitle language boxes checked in CloneDVD so I removed all but “english”. All of this seemed to fix my problem as it only took 20 minutes to copy the same DVD that I had tried to copy last night and was still running after 12 hours!! I also stayed off the internet while I made the copy. Hard to do as I am a multi-tasker that likes to have several things on the go at one time! LOL :flower:

Again…thank you for all your great answers! This is definately the place to go for any sort of computer/software/program assistance!! :clap:

BTW…just wanted to comment that I viewed the copy I made and am very pleased with the quality. Just wanted to add that in case someone else is looking into trying these programs…AnyDVD and CloneDVD.

:smiley:

That’s good to hear…that it worked out for you in the end. And, Yes multitasking when your burning or duplicating your dvd is something hard to stop but the results in the end will be better for you and your computer…plus you will still be able to use it after your done burning…