Why does CDFreaks double-load everything?

1 - I get an email notifying me that a thread I’m watching has a new post.
2 - I click the link which brings me to this forum in my browser.
3 - It goes to the correct location and begins loading.
4 - After awhile it jumps around like hell, reloads, then goes back to the correct position.

Why?

Surely it needs some kind of position defined in the loading code to prevent all of the jumping around! It’s very unnerving…

I generally find that this only happens when your viewing a thread with a lot of attachments (pictures/screenshots).
I think this is just the way that most browsers load data and then display the contents.

[QUOTE=Dee;2410022]I generally find that this only happens when your viewing a thread with a lot of attachments (pictures/screenshots).
I think this is just the way that most browsers load data and then display the contents.[/QUOTE]

It happens on this page too, and there are no pictures or screenshots here…

Could be that it first loads the thread and then jumps to the marker of the exact post that is linked in that e-mail.

True. It starts out loading very briefly (for a split-second) at the top of the page in the thread, then jumps to the location of the exact post. Then it takes several seconds (maybe 5-15 seconds) to load completely. So I assume it has finished loading and begin reading. Then there’s a second disorienting jump, hard on the eyes and nerves, which repositions at the same exact post. That seems unnecessary. Why reposition a second time when it’s already there? Surely that’s some kind of coding glitch…(?)

[QUOTE=JohnnyBob1;2410168]True. It starts out loading very briefly (for a split-second) at the top of the page in the thread, then jumps to the location of the exact post. Then it takes several seconds (maybe 5-15 seconds) to load completely. So I assume it has finished loading and begin reading. Then there’s a second disorienting jump, hard on the eyes and nerves, which repositions at the same exact post. That seems unnecessary. Why reposition a second time when it’s already there? Surely that’s some kind of coding glitch…(?)[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I cannot really reproduce the error. Works normal here. Could you send me the link you are referring to? :flower:

any email link I receive, for example for your post…

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f20/why-does-cdfreaks-double-load-everything-296734-new/

[QUOTE=JohnnyBob1;2413289]any email link I receive, for example for your post…

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f20/why-does-cdfreaks-double-load-everything-296734-new/[/QUOTE]

Do you happen to have another PC from a friend or something which you can check and try out if it’s still the same? Because when I click a link from one of our e-mails (or the link above) it loads perfectly straight away to the post (windows/IE)… so I have no idea what to check… :confused:

[QUOTE=MP|3;2413300]Do you happen to have another PC from a friend or something which you can check and try out if it’s still the same? Because when I click a link from one of our e-mails (or the link above) it loads perfectly straight away to the post (windows/IE)… so I have no idea what to check… :confused:[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I only have this one working PC available.
A couple of ideas…

There’s a difference between browsers. I’m using IE6, so you might test it, if available to you. It’s an older version but I prefer it, and believe something like 15-20% of internet users still have it.

I have Shockwave Flash Object disabled. I find that most websites that use it don’t require it, i.e. provide an alternative workaround coding.

I think I finally found out what’s wrong here. To me it looks like something in these direct links may have changed. On a multi-page thread the links are generated the following way:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f{forum-id}/{thread-title}-{thread-id}/index{page-no}.html#post{post-id}

The problem here seems to be the value for page-no. vBulletin allows changing the number of posts shown on one page under Control-Panel -> Edit Options -> Thread Display options.

If you happen to change your setting or receive the link from someone with a different setting, the page number given may not match the page number of your current setting, this results in one page being loaded and then forwarded to the correct page.

In case someone wants to reproduce this, just try this link.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2414749]In case someone wants to reproduce this, just try this link.[/QUOTE] I get redirected when clicking that link. :iagree:

[QUOTE=MP|3;2413187]Unfortunately I cannot really reproduce the error. Works normal here. Could you send me the link you are referring to? :flower:[/QUOTE]

unfortunately, the behavior of the original posters trouble is normal.

not knowing exactly how vbulletin and internet browsers communicate. here is how i see the problem. a page loaded with a link to a particular post, not being the first post, immediately the browser jumps to the correct post number, the page takes time to load and the browser repositions the page to accommodate for the loading of everything [ie… banners, post framing, words of post themselves, pics…etc] as the pages is loading the browser is still trying to jump to the correct position of the required post number. this can happen very fast and hardly noticeable or slowly and very annoying. depending on your browser rendering of the page and your connection speed.

i know firefox you can delay the drawing of the page until more of the page is loaded by using nglayout.initialpaint.delay, this is the number of milliseconds to wait before first displaying the page, lower values will make a page initially display more quickly, but will make the page take longer to finish rendering.

If it helps, there are various error messages while the page is loading. There’s the little yellow triangle messages in the IE6 status bar at the bottom of the page. Then if I doubleclick them, it gives details about the loading errors. See below. Note that I also subscribe to the Videohelp as well as several other forums and they do not have this kind of problem.