Why do you participate in FAH/WCG?

I just wanted to try this out and start a discussion about everyone’s reasons for folding and/or WCGing. I’d like to hear from everyone, even if you contribute to another team, or if you stumble upon this thread after a google search, sign up and make your mark :wink:
There are no wrong answers, so don’t be shy.

Personally I started folding because cancer, Alzheimer’s, and heart disease run rampant in my family. I originally found FAH on a different forum and joined their team because I figured it was something I could do to maybe lead to a cure one day. Most of the regular posters as well as the management at said forum began to rub me the wrong way, so I ended up switching to the CD Freaks team shortly after and never looked back :cool:

As you mentioned, cancer and heart disease also feature quite heavily in my family, so that’s one reason I started running F@H…it’s also nice to help good causes, and be a part of a great team. :slight_smile:

Off-topic - I see I have a new NEW PC :bigsmile:

For me my pc is usually at or near idle speeds 98% of the time so I like to feed it some work. I have a science/engineering background and not working in the field lately so its nice to contribute in one way.

I hope the universities that actually discover something new get to actually implement the discoveries and not just shelve them they way large companies would because selling a cure is far less profitable than selling a treatment.

Cancer and heart disease in my family also.

Mostly I like being able to help some good causes where I can, and since I have a few computers that sit around doing nothing a lot of the time,I figure I can do something good with them to help.

Small part but small is better than nothing.

Off topic: Arachne

Off-topic - I see I have a new NEW PC

CPU: Pentium D 945, 3.4GHz
Mobo: MSI MS-7173
RAM: 2GB DDR2-533
PSU: FSP Blue Storm II 500W

Nice :bigsmile:

How you like it so far ?

[QUOTE=Arachne;2169233]
Off-topic - I see I have a new NEW PC :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

lol, indeed, I ended up pretty much rebuilding the whole thing cause I failed to correctly diagnose some bum ram :doh::doh: at least the new stuff overclocks better so I can do moar crunching:bigsmile: (and maybe make an HTPC out of the leftovers :cool:)

[QUOTE=bean55;2177447]
Off topic: Arachne

CPU: Pentium D 945, 3.4GHz
Mobo: MSI MS-7173
RAM: 2GB DDR2-533
PSU: FSP Blue Storm II 500W

Nice :bigsmile:

How you like it so far ?[/QUOTE]

The Pentium D one?..it’s not the newest PC, but it’s quite nice, solid as a rock (though it gets a bit toasty at times)…it’s being swapped for my mum’s Dell C2D on Monday though :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=jwill427;2177566]lol, indeed, I ended up pretty much rebuilding the whole thing cause I failed to correctly diagnose some bum ram :doh::doh: at least the new stuff overclocks better so I can do moar crunching:bigsmile: (and maybe make an HTPC out of the leftovers :cool:)[/QUOTE]

Every cloud has a silver lining, eh? :wink:

We are participating because of kids like Natalie Jane Hood:sad:. We’re not medical doctors or genius researchers but we just can’t stand by and do nothing. We also had a close brush with cancer here at the Mountain House a few months ago so the whole issue snaps into sharp focus. All this computing power that we spent so much money on shouldn’t just be sitting around doing nothing 2/3’s of the day.