Why do you (or don't you) visit the CDFreaks.com front page?

vbimport

So, I made this thread a few weeks ago wanting to know if you guys visited the front page.

I’m now curious as to why you visit (or don’t visit) the front page of the site.

Robin and company are looking to improve both the site and the forums, and your input is greatly appreciated.

If you don’t want to post a response publicly, feel free to send me a private message. :iagree:

I visit the front page solely to get to the forums because my bookmarks are set to www.cdfreaks.com and I’ve never been bothered to update them.

Since the handy news digest was removed, I rarely visit the news section - occasionally I visit the reviews section :iagree:

I’ve tried the front page a few times, but I can never seem to find what I want. Gave up.

[QUOTE=tropic;2174264]I’ve tried the front page a few times, but I can never seem to find what I want. Gave up.[/QUOTE] That brings up another good question. What kind of content do you want to see on the front page?

News … lots of it … one big scrollable Column with the entire articles … with the last 5 days of news - rather than a whole bunch of links :slight_smile:

BIG Link to Forum …

Link to Reviews … A “Review Search” function would be nice :wink:

Dynamic content on what’s happening in the forum should be: “Thread Name, user posted & the first 10 words of what they said”.

Reactions to news articles … Bah :stuck_out_tongue:

More promotion of what CDFreaks is about -> Direct links to Newbie Forum, HiDef Forum, Hardware Forum & Software Forums :iagree: and certainly don’t forget the living room :iagree:

Less promotion of links to other crap … aka “buy our stuff”, “Download Stuff”

More CDFreaks Identity & less what every other site does stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=debro;2174286]News … lots of it … one big scrollable Column with the entire articles … with the last 5 days of news - rather than a whole bunch of links :slight_smile:

BIG Link to Forum …

Link to Reviews … A “Review Search” function would be nice :wink:

Dynamic content on what’s happening in the forum should be: “Thread Name, user posted & the first 10 words of what they said”.

Reactions to news articles … Bah :stuck_out_tongue:

More promotion of what CDFreaks is about -> Direct links to Newbie Forum, HiDef Forum, Hardware Forum & Software Forums :iagree: and certainly don’t forget the living room :iagree:

Less promotion of links to other crap … aka “buy our stuff”, “Download Stuff”

More CDFreaks Identity & less what every other site does stuff :p[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you.
I enjoyed the front page and news section as it was prior to the last update or “improvement”. Many sites believe that change is good, any change. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
All browsing should be intuitive, easy to find what you are looking for.
Sure make a cleaner more modern looking web page but don’t destroy its functionality. I visit the front page now only 3-4 times a year as against 3-4 times a week under the old system.
As for the forum, it is bookmarked on the bookmarks tool bar taking me directly to the log on screen.:slight_smile:

Yo-

I totally agree with both debro and weedougie-eh!!

I use RSS for the news and my bookmark points directly to the forums.

i don not visit or read the technology news because i can not afford it. :slight_smile:

My bookmark points directly to the forums, time is my main factor.
Haven’t seen much on the front page to keep my interest.

Most reviews are linked in forums when I do want to read one.

[quote=bigmike7;2175161]Yo-

I totally agree with both debro and weedougie-eh!![/quote]

:iagree: :flower:

Any more thoughts on the topic?

Where’s the iphone versions?

I’d love to see an iphone.cdfreaks.com, or even just a portable.cdrfreaks.com :slight_smile:

The image heavy front pages suck down alot of Data across the slow (and expensive) 3G network (upto 5Mb/s [I]apparently[/I]), but it still manages to be significantly slower than my 512Kb/s connection at home :stuck_out_tongue:

I would like to know from the freaks team if they are listening to us and are going to give us what we asked for?
Or are they going to be like politicians, say they are interested in what we want but will give us what they think we need or want?
Alas I think it will be the second option as there was some discussion about this after the last change and nothing happened.
So come on who ever will make the decision, come and engage with us.

I really only go to this site for the forum. Its why I started going to the site, and its where my Opera speed dial points too.

weedougie: I know the people who can make the changes have been reading this thread, and it’s obviously up to them to make the final call. There are a couple of changes I’d like to see happen, and have forwarded my recommendations to them in the past.

[QUOTE=Randomus;2214736]weedougie: I know the people who can make the changes have been reading this thread, and it’s obviously up to them to make the final call. There are a couple of changes I’d like to see happen, and have forwarded my recommendations to them in the past.[/QUOTE]

I agree and realise that there are commercial considerations involved as well as other things we are probably not aware of. But come on I posted that comment 3 weeks ago and still no input from the team!
This is what happened last time as far as I can recall, have they learned nothing from History and as we know if we do not learn we are doomed to repeat the same mistakes again and again.:flower:

I completely skip the front page altogether as my Safari browser has a minimum of 4 tabs dedicated to CDFreaks already open when I run it, those of the subforums I frequent most - the front page is more “clutter” for my tabbed browser (commonly having 15-20 tabs open).

I second debro’s suggestion for a Lo-Fi version of CDF. The only way I could conveniently access the CDF forum over some of my older WiFi enabled phones and 3G devices is by parsing it through BareSite.com which takes care of removing all the unnecessary fat from the forum pages. This is very important for me since I access CDF occasionally out of the house when I’m on media hunts, and referencing a post or thread is essential to arriving at an informed decision. :slight_smile: With how things are right now (without the parsing) CDF takes too long to load on my iPhone/iPod Touch and is impossible on my older Nokia SmartPhones. :frowning:

I didn’t know there was one! I first got here via the forum and always came back to them.

I’m a techie so the marketing focus of the front page is of no interest to me. I go straight to the forums, where I get the expert advice and communal dialogue I’m looking for.