Why do they limit dvd read at 16x?

vbimport

if they managed to make burners that burn at 18x and 20x. why do they still limit dvd read at 16x??

Why don’t you ask them? :?

Because the most important part about making an 18x / 20x burner is that you get to put a large 20x on the box, so that no ordinary user would consider buying an “inferior” 16x drive from the competion? And so that people get a strong urge to ditch their old 16x drive and buy a new 20x drive? :stuck_out_tongue:

The actual writing and reading times would then be irrelevant for 95% of all possible customers.

I think that’s the major reason for these drives supporting 18x and 20x writing. Maybe I’m just a cynic.

Techically I don’t think there is a problem enabling 20x reading, although this shouldn’t give any great marketing echo. :slight_smile:

[I]Off topic[/I]

Yeh, but I’m not ditching any of my 16x burners. Two year old BenQ 16x drive is almost as fast as drive linked to. :bigsmile:

No, you are not. :smiley:

Drage, you are a breath of fresh air. Strange what a little common sense can accomplish, and unfortunate that common sense is so uncommon.

This is the way the free market works. It is sometimes frustrating, but it is vastly better than any alternative.

20x burning is pretty much useless, but if media is good quality. I wouldn’t mind the slight speed increase during dvd-rom reading

I dunno, maybe the read speed can be increased by tinkering with the firmware. There is firmware for some drives to remove the “riplock” but I don’t know if it ever gives more than 16x reads.

My old Lite-Ons can have their read speed for various media be adjusted easily with omnipatcher. But omnipatcher doesn’t work with new Lite-Ons, and the highest speed these old drives can be set to is 16x.

One thing I’ve learned is the faster the read speed, the noisier the drive. At least when a disk is first inserted and the drive is trying to figure out what’s in there.

Realistically, reading at 16x and higher speed isn’t all that useful, as read errors increase to the point where the drive frequently needs to slow down. Anyone who rips a lot of video knows that trying to rip a DL video disc at 16x is often slower (takes more time) than ripping it at 12x. Single layer ripping is usually not a problem at 16x, but even then slow-downs are not unusual.

So my answer is that while it may be possible to make a drive read at 20x, it’s not necessarily going to be faster. The same holds true for burning. You can call it a 20x burner but that doesn’t mean it will actually reach that speed on a consistent basis.