Why do people still buy CMC MAG discs?

vbimport

I, probably like many other newbie burners, were suckered into believing that optical media is all the same - It’s digital and produces an exact copy of a recording - Right?

Well, in part this is true. Now, the mugs that bought the cheap media thinking nothing could go wrong are waking up and paying the price for it. Big time, with lots of corrupt, wasted discs.

It doesn’t matter if it burns successfully to start with. It matters if the data is still readable in three months. I’ve had two CMC MAG brands - RiDisc and Bulkpaq both in 50 packs, and I’ve probably thrown out more than what I’ve kept. Maybe even a 50-50 burning ratio.

For most of us, this is unacceptable. We can’t keep burning on lousy media if they are unwholly reliable. CMC MAG, as the variation on them is massive are summed up in one word. UNRELIABLE. It’s production is erratic. Please, stay away from this garbage!

Now I understand that not many people can afford Verbies, let alone Taito Yuden, but needless to say, it pays a lot to invest more in decent media - and also for the dye being used.

Example - I always ALWAYS buy Maxell discs for DVD-R burning - As it uses a RitekF1 dye, which has proven to be very stable. This dye can be got for the same price as, or little more than, what CMC MAG is churning out.

CD-Rs I’m less fussy about - Infact, most of my CD-Rs are infact CMC MAG. Again, there is an obvious difference between cheap crap media, and expensive crap media, and on this playing field MBI have been churning out some fairly stable stuff recently.

Why do people still buy unreliable media? I can’t think of anything more frustrating than to burn something, than 3 months down the line it is uncopyable. Pay a little more, or shop better, and you can have undisappointing results!

(Eg - Amazon Marketplace sellers are doing a special on Maxell - 100 pack for ~£14! :bigsmile: )

Edit - People that burn could do with educating so they don’t learn the hard with like I did :frowning:

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2572548]

Edit - People that burn could do with educating so they don’t learn the hard with like I did :([/QUOTE]

I have to agree - even my 64 year old mum can now recognise a TY cakebox at 50 paces, and knows that when Verbie DVD media is on offer, those are the ones to get. :slight_smile:

I really wish I’d found this place a lot earlier in my burning “career” - got caught up in the Ritek G05 thing and almost lost a shedload of backed-up stuff. It’s our duty to spread the word about quality media. :bigsmile:

I think some brands tend to get the “cream of the crop” where certain MIDs/manufacturers are concerned - for example, as I mentioned in another thread, compare Memorex CMC MAG. AM3 to say, Maxell AM3 or Infiniti AM3. In my experience, the cream of that crop went to Maxell and Infiniti.

CMC MAG M01 is a whole different ballgame. Wouldn’t use that under any brand if you paid me.

I think the reasons for people still buying unrelaible media are many - price, not knowing where the good MIDs are likely to be found (under which brands etc), simply not being aware of what the “good stuff” actually is, and being fooled by a well-known name - and the fact that one brand can use several different manufacturers for their 16x discs, for example, can throw even the best of us off guard! :doh:

Thanks for the tip about the Maxells on Amazon BTW :wink:

Ah Arachne, you never fail to amaze with your wisdom and stories! :bow:

Although about the “Cream of the crop” comment, I have to agree there. I’m in no doubt that CMC can but in my experience - don’t - produce some decent media, but the bottom line for me is CMC varies too much to be actually reliable.

Example, I’m sure proper brand names like Phillips can churn out some decent CMC media, but for the muppets like myself that thought it didn’t matter about disc quality (before I became obsessed with Club MyCE and burning :doh: :bigsmile: ) because it’s digital - Need to think again. My experience of CMC MAG media is a 50 pack of Bulkpaq and a 50 pack of RiDisc, where HALF of my disc varifies okay little after a month.

I don’t pretend to be some sort of expert, (nor do I want to be - Dyes concern me, not PI scans and the likes :stuck_out_tongue: ) but I admit now I’ve savvied up, I’m learning more about disc quality and how dyes and brand names are CRUCIAL to longtivity.

In doing so, I learned that DVD-Rs are not all the same, CMC was the WORST performer and shouldn’t be touched with a bargepole, and that practically speaking if you pay a little more, you are GUARENTEED quality results.

For us, money’s tight so we can’t afford TY or Verb discs. certainly not on a regular basis. Failed discs are an irritant, yeah, but not as much when you’ve lost your data! :Z :sad: :doh:

But I do demand quality media like Maxell (IMO the BEST brand out there for quality and price match, even their RitekF1 dyes are great :D) and (my local supplier of media does seperate discs - Maxell for example are 14p a piece :slight_smile: ) and so have been stocking up.

For newbies out there, I have one message. (Feel free to quote me and spread it :flower: ) Do not be conned into buying the cheapest media. As always research see how they are, (Bulkpaq, Memorex, et al anyone?) by researching the dye used. Avoid CMC, and if they are really clueless, STICK TO QUALITY, WELL KNOWN BRAND NAMES. Maxell have my trust from their cassette and CD days, but it is yet to be proven.

Sorry for the long post, I tend to get enthusiastic on Club MyCE :bigsmile:

& Also, Amazon can’t seem to get rid of the Verbatim DVD-Rs (from official Amazon, not from third party sources :wink: ) They are going so cheap, I recommend people to snap them up before they shoot up in price again. (haven’t used them, but I hear they are a toughie to beat :slight_smile: )

£16.99 for 100! :bigsmile:

are all maxell 16x dvd-r RitekF1?

thanks

[QUOTE=blade2005;2572930]are all maxell 16x dvd-r RitekF1?

thanks[/QUOTE]
No, some are CMC MAG. AM3.

You might be the only one, anyone who knows me from the last 5 years or so just thinks, “Oh God, she’s off again” :bigsmile:

I’ve only addressed parts of your post as otherwise my post would be a mile long. :slight_smile:

Although about the “Cream of the crop” comment, I have to agree there. I’m in no doubt that CMC can but in my experience - don’t - produce some decent media, but the bottom line for me is CMC varies too much to be actually reliable.

Example, I’m sure proper brand names like Phillips can churn out some decent CMC media, but for the muppets like myself that thought it didn’t matter about disc quality (before I became obsessed with Club MyCE and burning :doh: :bigsmile: ) because it’s digital - Need to think again. My experience of CMC MAG media is a 50 pack of Bulkpaq and a 50 pack of RiDisc, where HALF of my disc varifies okay little after a month.

Very good points :iagree:…once again, I think the lower-tier brands (especially Bulkpaq, Datawrite etc - I’ve had some extremely variable CMC discs from them) tend to get the more questionable/variable quality discs.

Since your experiences with CMC seem to be pretty carp overall, I can totally understand your views on them. :iagree:

I don’t pretend to be some sort of expert, (nor do I want to be - Dyes concern me, not PI scans and the likes :stuck_out_tongue: ) but I admit now I’ve savvied up, I’m learning more about disc quality and how dyes and brand names are CRUCIAL to longtivity.

Ditto. I wouldn’t want the “burden” of being seen as an expert. I’m more of an enthusiast since I arrived here. If I learn stuff along the way - bonus! :bigsmile:

…and that practically speaking if you pay a little more, you are GUARENTEED quality results.

Amen to that! :iagree:

For us, money’s tight so we can’t afford TY or Verb discs. certainly not on a regular basis. Failed discs are an irritant, yeah, but not as much when you’ve lost your data! :Z :sad: :doh:

Ditto, and ditto. I only ever buy Verbies/TY if on special offer these days. Luckily I have a bit of a stash if offers are thin on the ground :wink:

I hear you about the data loss as well with lower-quality discs. It’s a shame when you think you’ve snagged a real bargain, back your stuff up, only to find the discs are variable, or can’t be read after a certain amount of time. Been there, done that, found CDF just in time. :wink:

But I do demand quality media like Maxell (IMO the BEST brand out there for quality and price match, even their RitekF1 dyes are great :D) and (my local supplier of media does seperate discs - Maxell for example are 14p a piece :slight_smile: ) and so have been stocking up.

Once again I can see your point - I feel the same about Verbatim. :wink:

Sorry for the long post, I tend to get enthusiastic on Club MyCE :bigsmile:

Hahaha, easily done. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=pepst;2572931]No, some are CMC MAG. AM3.[/QUOTE]

can you tell from the package which dye they are? i found these :

http://www.osoo.co.uk/Maxell_DVDR_Storage_Media_47GB_16x_Cakebox_Spindle_25_Pack(200151).aspx

and also have found there are maxell dvd-r 16x in red and black packaging

thanks

Unfortunately not, but my guess is RitekF1 - CMC MAG. AM3 Maxells are becoming quite rare nowadays.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2572953]You might be the only one, anyone who knows me from the last 5 years or so just thinks, “Oh God, she’s off again” :bigsmile:

Very good points :iagree:…once again, I think the lower-tier brands (especially Bulkpaq, Datawrite etc - I’ve had some extremely variable CMC discs from them) tend to get the more questionable/variable quality discs.

Since your experiences with CMC seem to be pretty carp overall, I can totally understand your views on them. :iagree:

I hear you about the data loss as well with lower-quality discs. It’s a shame when you think you’ve snagged a real bargain, back your stuff up, only to find the discs are variable, or can’t be read after a certain amount of time. Been there, done that, found CDF just in time. :wink:

:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Now, here’s what’s got my goat. Some of my Ritek discs are beginning to skip and stall, my Doctor Who disc that I burned the other day did just that… I haven’t rescanned it, so I can’t confirmed if it’s dead.

Guys - WHAT’S GOING ON!? :@ I’m switching burning between a Pioneer DVD-109 (:confused:) and a Visitron DVD-5001 DVD recorder, and these discs are beginning to skip like crazy. They can’t ALL be a DVD-R problem, surely? :frowning:

I’ve gone through an assortment of brands and although I will continue to use the Maxell brand discs in the future for their Ritek F1 dye, (much more stable then CMC MAG AM3, I hear…) I’m beginning to wonder if it is my DVD players/burners/discs themselves which is the problem.

Non of the players seem tempremental on my Pioneer burner (Just wait until I get hold of the manufacturer…) and if that wasn’t enough, trying to burn Arita CD-Rs Good God, wait until I get hold of the manufacturer…

So, I think my drive is failing, and did a pretty nasty job in my mums Sony laptop drive :frowning:

@Pepst, it’s probably a good thing that Maxell ditched CMC, their media was too unreliable to be… er, reliable.

Pepst handled this really well over in the other thread, but as usual I can’t help adding my thoughts :stuck_out_tongue:

Just want to clarify - the RITEK F1 discs burned on the Visitron, your own Pioneer, and your mum’s lappy drive are all skipping etc? Or just discs burned on two of the drives?

DVD recorders are a bit of an unkown quantity (to me) for recording quality, particularly on 16x discs/non-TY/MCC discs…what’s your Visitron DVD recorder’s manual say about recommended media?* And how old is the unit?

Also, what make of drive is installed in your mum’s lappy. and once again how old?

• Mind you, that might not help much - my LG DVD recorder manual mentions HP and Maxell, along with Verbies - and as we all know, Maxell/HP can be made by different manufacturers, producing different results! :doh:

Pepst has dealt with your Pio 109, so I won’t go there. :slight_smile:

The ultimate test would indeed be tor try Verbies on all/some of these drives…but they’re expensive to waste if you get the same results :frowning:

This is just another case of being “penny wise, pound foolish”.

no one should say that they cannot afford $5-$10 more for quality media.

In america, the price difference between cheap CMC and verbatim MCC is just $5 when on sale.

The cost of labor, reburning corrupted data, permanently losing data to corruption, etc… is just not worth the $5 discount.

again, “pound foolish”. You save money today, but waste a bunch tomorrow.

[QUOTE=link626;2574924]
In america, the price difference between cheap CMC and verbatim MCC is just $5 when on sale.[/QUOTE]

See, here in the UK, the price difference between the two can be pretty hefty, unless you shop in the right place/grab Verbies when on sale.

The difference is even bigger when it comes to DL discs. Depends where in the world you are, I guess. :wink:

I do agree though - “buy cheap, buy twice” is a mantra you’ll often hear (or see) here.

Er, bump? :wink:

GUYS - I seems I’m going to embarrass myself and say that their Ritek CD-R completely sucks as well! Or at least under the Arita brand :frowning:

I went through 13 solid failures wondering what the problem was - I always burn on my mums Sony laptop drive at the maximum it could do it at (24x IIRC), so there was no real problem with that speed - And some discs would burn initally - Then suffer playback problems - Or won’t even burn at all! :a

So I racked my brains figured it might be the burning speed - Frustratingly, the Arita Gold (Sometimes marketed as Arita Peach? :confused: ) doesn’t list the actual max burning speed. The only brand not to do so that I know off, MASSIVE cockup on their behalf :a

Anyway, so I read somewhere on the internet to never burn ARITA discs any higher than 8x - Although this is painfully slow, I would rather wait a couple a minutes extra and get a quality burn then… Er, no burn at all. Guess what - IT WORKED! All of my discs were burning and verifying perfectly - Albeit apart from one, and satisfied I wasn’t going to waste any more discs :slight_smile:

So chaps - What’s going on? Ideally it could be my fault for burning the disc at 24x and stumble on problems for the burning speed is too high - But this is 2011, not a decade earlier! Every disc even after the new millenium should be capable of AT LEAST 16x burning :frowning:

Despite this frustrating hiccup, I’m beginning to wonder if Ritek is a garbage brand. I might even go back to CMC MAG discs - But experienced burners suggest to stay away from these as they are garbage too, and vouch for Ritek for more stringent production control.

At least I know they worked. Besides, their DVD-R media might not be too great, but their CD-Rs are excellent :slight_smile: Ritek’s CD-R IMO don’t seem to be too great - Or is this because I bought this under the Arita brand, whilst apparently excellent still a B-Grade brand? Ritek’s RitekF1 dye is excellent though, give me that over CMC AM3 any day :smiley:

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2577285]Er, bump? :wink:

GUYS - I seems I’m going to embarrass myself and say that their Ritek CD-R completely sucks as well! Or at least under the Arita brand :frowning:

I went through 13 solid failures wondering what the problem was - I always burn on my mums Sony laptop drive at the maximum it could do it at (24x IIRC), so there was no real problem with that speed - And some discs would burn initally - Then suffer playback problems - Or won’t even burn at all! :a

So I racked my brains figured it might be the burning speed - Frustratingly, the Arita Gold (Sometimes marketed as Arita Peach? :confused: ) doesn’t list the actual max burning speed. The only brand not to do so that I know off, MASSIVE cockup on their behalf :a

Anyway, so I read somewhere on the internet to never burn ARITA discs any higher than 8x - Although this is painfully slow, I would rather wait a couple a minutes extra and get a quality burn then… Er, no burn at all. Guess what - IT WORKED! All of my discs were burning and verifying perfectly - Albeit apart from one, and satisfied I wasn’t going to waste any more discs :slight_smile:

So chaps - What’s going on? Ideally it could be my fault for burning the disc at 24x and stumble on problems for the burning speed is too high - But this is 2011, not a decade earlier! Every disc even after the new millenium should be capable of AT LEAST 16x burning :frowning:

Despite this frustrating hiccup, I’m beginning to wonder if Ritek is a garbage brand. I might even go back to CMC MAG discs - But experienced burners suggest to stay away from these as they are garbage too, and vouch for Ritek for more stringent production control.

At least I know they worked. Besides, their DVD-R media might not be too great, but their CD-Rs are excellent :slight_smile: Ritek’s CD-R IMO don’t seem to be too great - Or is this because I bought this under the Arita brand, whilst apparently excellent still a B-Grade brand? Ritek’s RitekF1 dye is excellent though, give me that over CMC AM3 any day :D[/QUOTE]
Arita is a crappy brand, I’ve had no problems with Ritek CD-Rs! I wonder if Ritek supplied just the stampers for arita and they did it themselves! If that’s the case, then theres your problem!

Oh dear! :frowning:

I always thought Arita would be a good brand as it is a Ritek branded disc :sad: The “naffness” in Ritek discs are pretty slim - (Many people prefer Ritek over CMC because it’s quality control is better than CMC - Too much quality variance to be reliable) :frowning:

But Arita is indeed a sub-division of Ritek - Whenever doesn’t make Grade A media is rebadged and thrown into an Arita package. (Therefore, B-Grade material) There was something dodgy about Arita discs when I bought them - Even on the internet they always seem to be cheaper than other cheap brands likes Traxdata Value Line - Datasafe, Datawrite etc, but just assured myself Ritek would be excellent.

Arita is apparently very stringent in quality of discs, hence why I bought them. Hmm, I now muse.

Maybe we should start buying all our discs online, buying TY and Verbatim instead of the crap they sell in the stores! According to the Arita website, they just use the ritek dyes (I have yet to get any arita discs so feel free to correct me here) if they are just using the dyes, that may be why they are bad! A bad manufacturer with a good dye can make a lousy product! Either that or you just got a bad batch…if you have had no problems with them in the past, that’s very likely!
I’ve had bad batches of discs before, where every one of them that I burned coastered!

I concur, Arita are a Ritek exclusive brand - They use ONLY Ritek dye, and is a division of Ritek for passing on their not so great media :slight_smile:

Good call though about making the discs themselves, but to my knowledge, they are owned by Ritek. If their quality is as good as they say for Ritek, I have a suspicious feeling that if Arita produced top-notch Ritek, then profits made from Arita would seriously undermine Ritek’s better line, i.e. RiData.

Their 50 pack spindles can be got from such as svp.co.uk for less than 10p a disc, or less than £5 for 50 pack spindle. Having said that, I’m positive they are infact top quality Ritek, but it is B-Grade.

I might have bought a duff batch, but reasonably expecting I should not have coastered out on the first 13 discs of my spindle! I’ve burnt another 6 this week, all by lowering burning speeds, and it seems to be redeeming itself.

The product name is called Arita Gold - Replaced or similar to the Arita Peach?

[QUOTE=RCM;2577313]Arita is a crappy brand, I’ve had no problems with Ritek CD-Rs! I wonder if Ritek supplied just the stampers for arita and they did it themselves! If that’s the case, then theres your problem![/QUOTE]
Arita is not a media manufacturer - it’s just a brand name, used by Ritek for their B-grade media. :wink:
An A-grade Ritek’s media are sold under the “Traxdata” and “Ridata” brand names and under the brand names of important customers like Maxell, Sony, etc.

[QUOTE=pepst;2577324]Arita is not a media manufacturer - it’s just a brand name, used by Ritek for their B-grade media. :wink:
An A-grade Ritek’s media are sold under the “Traxdata” and “Ridata” brand names and under the brand names of important customers like Maxell, Sony, etc.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification pepst!