Why do people still buy CD media?

Heh, being hard of hearing, I don’t buy music, and I don’t listen to music other than what gets played on the radio in my car. I don’t listen to music at all when I’m at home.

So right there that rules out a pretty big use of cdrs for me.

So, I guess cdrs are good for people who don’t have dvd drives, and for those people who do multi-session. A lot of people have memory sticks now, so that kind of negates the original advantage of multi-session cds (which were invented before memory sticks got big). I will admit I don’t have a memory stick yet though, so I still find multi-session cdr of use.

I haven’t played games on my computer in a long time, so I don’t buy games either, so I have nothing to backup onto specifically cdr discs either.

Small data files not worth burn in DVD .
On the other side, CD still last longer because there is’nt sensitive in surface ,than DVD -That is main reason Audio DVD not be able hit the market.

90% of the population still uses floppies, moving to dvd’s is a big jump.

Actually, I work in a copy shop, and believe it or not, I actually do get mostly cds and memory sticks from customers.

Of course we get floppies, but they are usually young people, or older people.

Everyone in-between tends to be memory sticks or cds. Once in a long while I’ll get one who’s using a camera type memory card to store computer files on. I’d estimate that my customers bringing me files on media are about at least 70% cd and memory stick.

Which is good, I’ve returned floppies back to customers lots of times because they brought me damaged unreadable floppies. I’ve also had a few customers who actually brought me blank cds, or a few that burned the shortcut to their file, but not the file itself.

Floppies are easy to work with because they are plug and go but I hate them anyways because to generate a bad sector, all you have to do is just look at them.

Most home CD players, boomboxes, and car CD players that people own don’t play DVDs. CD media is still very useful in many ways to alot of people, and I don’t see why anyone that knows much about media, or an employee of a business that sells media would ask such a question. I’m not trying to flame you bro, but didn’t you think of at least a few of the reasons for “still” buying CD media that people have listed here before posting?

Most of the people that I know and/or do PC repair for do not have a DVD burner, and you would be surprised how many average people do not even have a DVD-ROM in their computer.

Peace and Luv,

DJ Mind

I would prefer CDs because they are cheaper than DVD blanks. Also, I wouldn’t put stuff on a DVD when I can put it on a CD. And if you damage an area on a CD, you won’t lose as much data as on a DVD.

Car stereo Car stereo :stuck_out_tongue:

I find CD’s a more secure storage as I’ve burned data to DVD’s and then its not been readable a week later and I’ve never (fingers crossed) had this type of problem with any CD’s and I’ve used Imation CDs before.

CD+/-R’s are dirt cheap. Some people don’t need 4.7GB’s of storage on a disc. Plus, CD+/-R’s are perfect for car stereo’s; most, if not all except the newest of the newest CD decks can’t read DVD formats.

I’m JUST getting into DVD Burners and DVD burning in general (just got my Pioneer DVR-109 a few days ago.) Good stuff. It’s AWESOME to see the prices of DVD+/-R’s have dropped SOOOO much since they first came out. They’re almost the same price as CD+/-R’s~!!!

Linux has been on DVD for a while. SUSE (retail) has been on DVD for a couple years. Debian has just released 3.1 r0a and you can download a DVD iso for free.

One of the first commercial software titles released on DVD = Microsoft Encarta

Yes, it’s much better to download DVD ISO files instead of multiple CD ISO files. Easier to manage on HDDs as well.

Average quality of DVD blank media could be better than average quality of CD blank media because it’s more difficult to produce DVD media for small and low-tech companies. Not many produce 16x DVD+R/DVD-R media. High quality DVD media cost just as much as cheapest CD media for the same capacity.

Isn’t that the truth! About three years ago, there was a period when I didn’t have Internet and often needed to transfer research projects and source codes from my home to the school. A school! That’s a place where CD-RW is synonymous to “unreadable future technology”; therefore, I could only use the easiest resolution: floppies. I bought a stack and they served the purpose well…for a while. A year or two later I discovered just such a HUGE number of them had already become unreadable and unformattable pieces of junk I immediately retrieved all of my remaining data and decided never to use them again. I just stored one or two as bootdisks. Now they even fail in this simple task. I recently decided to go for a clean install of Win2000. That of course, requires four sequential bootdisks. Well, it didn’t take me too long to find almost ten readable and formattable floppies, but it certainly took me forever to come up with just four floppies that could do the job. No matter how many times I try, the installation always detects an error in the disk. After about three hours trying fifty or so different combinations of disks, I gave up and did an upgrade instead.

Compact discs are still in my opinion, the most reliable recordable media available. The technology is quite mature now so I suppose we won’t be expecting some terribly bad products out there. Not to mention the huge base of market that still depends on it, especially the music industry. The transition from audio CD to audio DVD will be hard indeed. The general population that can’t distinguish the difference between DVD and CD will certainly be in for a shock when they find out that the audio “DVDs” they bought can’t be played in walkmans anymore.

It’s Flash that is finally replacing Floppy, not CD, not DVD, not Blu-ray. Seagate should have started producing CD-R media if CD were that reliable. Seagate chose to make their HDDs smaller to compete against flash memory and other small factor HDDs (from 0.85-inch to 1.8-inch), same path that IBM and Samsung chose many years ago.

CD technology itself is very mature, but not all CD manufacturers are mature enough. Try to find out whether there is a “terribly bad products” from the PC CPU industry. There are just Intel and AMD for most people to choose from. Both make great products. It’s extremely difficult for a CPU to “lose data” somehow. It’s equally extremely unlikely for a DRAM chip to lose data whether the user regularly performs backup or “quality scan” or not. That’s because all the makers of those technologies are very experienced and very large: Intel, Samsung, IBM… Very few of the CD-R manufacturers are on the same level, if any. It takes just some millions for an individual to start manufacturing CD and DVD media. By comparison, it takes BILLIONS to start producing wafers for DRAM and CPU chips or glasses for LCD panels. Most of the hi-tech companies don’t invest much on CDs because there’s hardly any profit there. From consumer’s point of view, maybe you don’t know about how many people spend how much on DVDs now. DVD market is already bigger than CD market and even the mainland Chinese know what DVD is.

Floppies must now be made extremely cheaply, because back when that was all there was (early '90’s, before writeable CD’s and Zip drives) floppies were indestructible. Spill coffee on them, soda, water, whatever the instructions said not to spill on them and they’d still be readable/writeable (once they dried out). Same thing with magnetic fields. Can’t tell you how long I stored them on my stereo speakers with no ill effects. I still have a lot of floppies that I haven’t archived to CD’s yet and the last time I used them, they were still readable, some being better than 10 years old.

Or perhaps its the recent batch of drives that’re cheap and destroy floppies, but I know that floppies were, at one time, extremely reliable form of backup.

i find burned DVD-R it is difficult to read by some DVD-ROMs. but CD-R is easy to read.

Dreamcast games. Getting backup copies off the internet. And yes they really are for backup!

Also 48x on the box of a cd makes it look faster than 8x on a dvd box. :slight_smile: