Why do my durned dvd's play on my PC fine, but start to freeze on my home dvd player about halfway throught the movie?

vbimport

I rip my dvd’s with DVD FAB and its great. The rips play great on my VLC player. I burn them with Roxio at 2X. When I play them on my home dvd player they start to freeze about halfway through the movie. But, when I play them on the dvd player on my PC that burned the disc it’s fine, any ideas what I am doing wrong?

It could be the media you are using that your standalone player does not like.

It could also be a sub-standard burn where you PC drive is more forgiving than your DVD player is.

Do you have the ability to scan DVD’s using CDspeed/Drivespeed?

Also what media are you using and what burner and burn speeds?

The blank media is Maxell DVD-R. 4.7G 16X

The DVD-Rom is what came with my Dell laptop. It’s listed in the properties as TSSTCorp DVD-RW TS-L632

How do I use or get Drivespeed?

I am burning at the lowest speed it will allow me in Roxio which is 2X. Is the speed choices determined by the software (Roxio) or the blank media?

I tried the disc in my standard dvd player it had problems around halfway through. My blu-Ray player had a terrible time with it. But my HD-DVD player handeled it pretty well. I didn’t see any real freezing with the HD-DVD player.

Any ideas? It sound like its either the media or the drive(burner). Any help would be great. Thanks again.

Burning 16x media at 2x will usually result in very poor burn quality, slower is not always better :slight_smile:

Give 8x a try and see how that works.

You can also refer to this thread started by "mciahel"
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/ts-l632-similar-slim-drives-discussion-thread-241399/

Any thoughts on the Maxell media? I think I got it for as a gift I am not sure if it is of high quality or not. I read a lot about Verbatim being one of the better quality medias.

Well that’s an 8X drive. Many times they don’t do well with 16X media. You could try a burn at 4X and see how that goes or try other media.

As was mentioned:

It could be the media you are using that your standalone player does not like.

It could also be a sub-standard burn where you PC drive is more forgiving than your DVD player is.

What is the MID on that Maxell media?

To determine the MID, see here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/580276-post3.html

I know my TS-L632M produces burns that happily play on my computer, but they are just around the breaking point for playing/not playing in my Xbox drive [pickiest thing I have]. 4x does well for some discs; 6x for others; and the max 8x still does better with some discs. It depends on the MID.

[FONT=Courier New]----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:ProdiscF02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [ProdiscF02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

This what the media identifier gave me for my blank media. When I go to burn using my Roxio software The only choices I have are 2X and 4X and ideas why?[/FONT]

It is OK media. If 4x is the max you can burn give it a try.

If it still doesn’t work well then you might want to consider getting some other media, Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.

ProdiscF02 isn’t the easiest to burn disc. There are a couple of desktop drives that can overspeed it to 20x, but underspeeding it is a different story.

That said, ProdiscF02 can be either very good or very bad when burned properly. Burning at 4x might produce better results.

Otherwise, I’d suggest you get some quality 8x media [since your drive is an 8x drive], and you’d probably get even better results [as [B]MegaDETH[/B] above suggested]. :iagree:

Albert,

Any thoughts on why when I go to burn my Roxio 9.0. Only lets me pick 2X or 4X?

[QUOTE=thepowerrulz;2023217]----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[FONT=Courier New]----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:ProdiscF02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [ProdiscF02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

This what the media identifier gave me for my blank media. When I go to burn using my Roxio software [B]The only choices I have are 2X and 4X [/B]and ideas why?[/FONT][/QUOTE]
I would assume it has to do with write strategies of your burner. They do not appear to be a good match for your burner.

The available write speeds are in the drive itself, and are not controlled by the software. The drive has a list of media, by MID, and had write strategies for each individual MID it knows.

I am sure ProdiscF02 is in the firmware, so it is probably likely that Samsung [TSST] has limited the write speed to 4x for quality reasons. Other 16x media is also limited to lower speeds, such as SONYD21 [Sony’s 16x DVD+R] being limited to 6x, etc.

Roxio queries the drive, asking “What Speeds Should I Offer?”, and the drive responds “I know ProdiscF02 as a disc able to be written at 2x and 4x, so that’s what you should show.” At least, that’s how I imagine it. :wink:

It seems like the Roxio burning software wont allow it to go any higher based on some restriction it has on the software dealing with trying to copy movies with encryption. Is there a good burning software that is free to try that I could use. Thanks again guys for all your help, its much appreciated.

Re-run DVD Identifier. What recording speeds does it offer?