Why do cd-r brands dump Taiyo Yuden?

vbimport

Hi,

Yesteday I bought 10 Maxell CDR80-XLS thinking they were made by TY, and then discovered they were Ritek ! :Z

From absolute quality to absolute crap :frowning:

It’s getting very difficult to find TY discs now. And I’m wondering why.

• TDK : is selling various models of media : one made by them, and the other (“Metallic disc”) made by Ritek. But no more TY.
    The packaging of the Ritek “metallic Disc” is very similar to the old "Reflex Ultra Metallic " (which were made by TY) to fool the consumer…

• Philips: few years ago, they sold Ritek (low end) and TY / Mitsui (high end) discs but they went 100% ritek few month ago.

• Sony: was selling TY or Mitsui cd-r, but now is selling “Sony” CMC discs

So why are CD-R brands dumping TY for Ritek or other crap makers ?

Originally posted by Renegade661

Yesteday I bought 10 Maxell CDR80-XLS thinking they were made by TY,
and then discovered they were Ritek ! :Z

So why are CD-R brands dumping TY for Ritek or other crap makers ?

1. The discovery has been known for ages.

2. Absolutely disagree with your statement regarding Ritek and I have a pr:rolleyes: :rolleyes:f on that.
    Do you have it too ?

1. Didn’t know that :confused:
    I thought InstantInfo database was accurate. Lol, maybe not :bigsmile:

2. Well, Ritek has earned a bad reputation over the years, but if you can tell me that their products can match the quality of TY/Mitsui, then i’ll be glad to learn it :slight_smile:

I know the feeling :frowning: ! /gs.

if you can tell me that their products can match the quality of TY/Mitsui, then i’ll be glad to learn it
Let’s see, here I’ve gathered some of my recent graphs of “damned” Riteks.
Also I’ll be happy to learn if it comes in handy :

@BoSkin and others: Regulars using this forum will know that newer RiTEK phthalocyanine media is of similar quality to newer Taiyo Yuden Super Cyanine discs. BoSkin, your Kprobe graphs as well as my personal testing with various batches of RiTEK media tells the story.

Originally posted by terminalvelocd

Regulars using this forum will know that newer RiTEK phthalocyanine media
is of similar quality to newer Taiyo Yuden Super Cyanine discs.
Old habits die hard, you know. :wink:

So, if Ritek is now able to produce some decent quality cd-r, is this the reason why TDK and other brands dumped TY ?

So, if Ritek is now able to produce some decent quality cd-r, is this the reason why TDK and other brands dumped TY ?

Its also probably cheaper to buy than the TY discs. These days, every company is trying to make cuts just to make that extra profit ;).

yep, sure :slight_smile:

But it’s sad to see CD-R vendors selling good products, thus making themselve a good reputation, then switching to lower quality after a few years just for profit… :rolleyes:

@Renegade661: Yeah it is, the classic example being Imation’s switch from Taiyo Yuden CD-R’s to CMC crap back in 1998/1999!

Taiyo Yuden discs are very easy to find.

Maxell CD-R Music 80 50 pack is Taiyo Yuden, and the other 50 pack with cases is also Taiyo Yuden. These ones are only made by Taiyo Yuden.

But I was wondering, is there a specific kind of Taiyo Yuden disc? Do they just make the same kind of disc with the same durability?

Originally posted by AudioPhile1

Maxell CD-R Music 80 50 pack is Taiyo Yuden, and the other 50 pack with cases is also Taiyo Yuden.
These ones are only made by Taiyo Yuden.

Not really. The CD-R 80XL-S are made by TY, the ones w/o ‘S’ are made by Ritek.

Originally posted by BoSkin
Not really. The CD-R 80XL-S are made by TY, the ones w/o ‘S’ are made by Ritek.

Nope. Like I said when I started this topic, I have Ritek-made CD-R 80XL-S. In box of 10 jewel cases.

A friend of mine bought a box of TDK discs made by Ritek to burn in a Ricoh 16x CD-RW.
They can’t be read in several players that can perfectly play Verbatim (TY and Mitsubishi) discs burned with the same drive.

Does low error count mean good compatibility and longevity? (I can’t check the errors in those Ritek CDRs, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the errors were low).

The lowest error rate I’ve ever seen was on RiTEK TG media. Don’t assume that any media, TY or otherwise, is good or bad till you test it. Statements like “absolute crap” should be illustrated with error scans.

Does low error count mean good compatibility and longevity?

Not necessarily. Compatability is up to the reading drive and how well it handles the varrying reflectivity of all the different types of media. The media type has the biggest impact on compatability.
Longevity is a whole nuther subject.

Nope. Like I said when I started this topic, I have Ritek-made CD-R 80XL-S. In box of 10 jewel cases.
All right, it’s a country-dependable thing , I guess.
Those Maxell XL-S I used to buy looked like this :

Btw, this subject has been discussed a lot,
but I think there’s no point in rewinding and searching for those responses.

Originally posted by BoSkin
[COLOR=darkblue]All right, it’s a country-dependable thing , I guess.
Those Maxell XL-S I used to buy looked like this :
http://hem.bredband.net/boskin/MaxellXLS.gif

Lol :bigsmile: , boxes match exactly.
Well, I dunno if it’s specific to some countries or not, but the previous boxes I had were TY.
Maybe there was a shortage and they had to ask Ritek for a temp production, or they completly switched form TY to Ritek…
We’ll have to wait a little to know the truth.

If you can’t find FujiFilm TY discs, you must have some kind of disability. Those are the easiest to find, usually the cheapest.

The Maxell 50 pack is usually only in places like Sams Club which is a partner/2nd store of WalMart for 12.88

Originally posted by AudioPhile1

If you can’t find FujiFilm TY discs, you must have some kind of disability. Those are the easiest to find, usually the cheapest.

The Maxell 50 pack is usually only in places like Sams Club which is a partner/2nd store of WalMart for 12.88
LOL ! Now I get the picture.
Pal, you didn’t seem to bother looking at where we live. :bigsmile:
Fujifilm made by TY are not being sold in Europe. I got mine from my friend in NYC though.