Why do both H10 and H20 series exist?

It might be a bit stupid question, but I just don’t get it.

Why does LG have both H10 series and H20 series?

I know that H20 uses Panasonic chips while H10 uses Renesas, but why don’t they use only Renesas? Both perform very well and their specs are about the same.

This is internal competition. Product A competes product B from the same manufacturer. As they don’t have enough competiton from other brands!

It’s like being two competing companies in one.

Yeah it seems kind of weird to me too. Maybe they just didn’t want all their eggs in one basket if one design turned out flawed or something like that. Or maybe they want to be able to play two different chipset suppliers off against each other to keep parts prices low. Those are just guesses of course.

That situation may be more like hardware reassignment.

Panasonic supports Lightscribe, Renesas not.

A production line makes H20 with and without lightscribe.

The Renesas line is the baseline of a large bunch of products of LG ( 4163, 4165,4167, H10A, H10N etc) but I never see a Renesas drive with lightscribe.

So you order an H10, get an H20 and need to return it to get what you wanted in the first place

:slight_smile:

That would be the H10L.

Thx Karangguni.

I have forget that drive ( H10L ). :o

This makes the things worse. LG develops 2 lines of drives that makes the same ( 16x , with or without Lightscribe ), similar names, and no one of them has been discontinued. :confused:

there’s also E10L (external version of the H10L).
and now there’s also H30N/L - Panasonic chipset, SATA.

I heard of 4168B wich I think is just a 4167 with LightScribe support. I saw 4167B and 4168B specifications and they are identical, except the LightScribe difference.
I don’t know if LG sold many 4168B, but I think they didn’t.

They seem to have started with each line having separate features, then slowly added each other’s features to each line :

Pansonic chipset
Internal model : 4166B->H20L->H20N->H22N
External model : 2164D/2166D->no H20x, no H22x external version

Renesas chipset
Internal model : 4167B->H10A->H10N->H10L
External model : no external 4167B external->E10N/L

This just makes things even more confusing. About the only explanation I’ve ever heard of for the two lines is that LG got its lightscribe technology by doing some kind of joint development program with HP. That explains why there are two lines but not why that they are still developing new models for both lines.

Pansonic chipset
Internal model : 4166B->H20L->H20N->H22N
External model : 2164D/2166D->no H20x, no H22x external version

Renesas chipset
Internal model : 4167B->H10A->H10N->H10L
External model : no external 4167B external->E10N/L
why H20L -> H20N ?
i would say: 4166B -> H20N/L -> H22N
and: 4163B -> 4167B -> H10A -> H10N/L ( -> H12N ???)

Somewhere inbetween there is the H21N/L sold by HP.

and which chip is better ? the pana or the rena ?

I only put in the models from around the time the Panasonic chipset LGs first appeared. That is why I left the older models out.

Most places seemed to have H20Ls appear on sale first. The H20N only appeared later. In some places up to now, of the two drives, only the L version is available for sale.

what chip u prefer ?

I don’t prefer one over the other and I can’t say which is better. I haven’t tried any Panasonic chipset LG writers, so I cannot comment on which is better or which I prefer.

As I have see ,I think Renesas chipset likes more poor quality discs for correct burn.

For marketing reason ,maybe availability of each chipset,forced LG use both to hit every market,in combination with cost each time.

Also H series,except burn better bad media,looks like more old Hitachi DVD-ROM drives,as reading everything,not selectable of scratch or not surface (take note,Lightscribe drives looks like have even more problem, in all brands, in this case)

Another point is H1x series give us the pleasure of unofficial upgrade as latest info supposed to be faster :

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1542831&postcount=14
http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1543348&postcount=22