Why do all games run really slowly?

I bought a £500 computer recently and for some reason it does everything perfectly, except playing virtually any game… even though apparently its a gaming computer. I bought it as a package so here are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 / 2.33 GHz Processor

4GB ram DDR2

640Gb 7200rpm SATA Hard Disk

nVidia GeForce 7100 256mb to 1535mb graphcis card

32bit Vista

can someone pleeeeease tell me why nothing runs smoothly. I used to play WoW and even after turning the resolution down, it would go 30fps max in an enclosed area. The sims 2 runs smoothly in small houses with all of the graphics options turned down and the resolution low.

Ive looked up reviews of the processor like this one…

http://www.ciao.com/Reviews/Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q8200_2_33_GHz_processor_Quad_Core__16285623

which apparently say that its good. Aparently the graphics card isnt great but is it worth me buying a new one for this computer?

please help, and thanks if you do :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=kratos017;2270143]
nVidia GeForce 7100 256mb to 1535mb graphcis card
[/QUOTE]

since your saying that the video card has the ability to run between 256mb and 1525 mb of ram then that means its shared memory with the rest of the system.

the more you allow for graphics the less you allow for everything else.

be sure to leave your video card at 256mb or maybe 512mb.

Yes, you need a new graphics card. Onboard graphics generally are not good enough to run demanding games @ high resolutions with any sort of decent framerates.

I don’t know what resolution your monitor handles, but an Ati 4850 or 4870 should work very well for you.

im not saying he has one but these days and days past most laptops come with on board video cards and they are able to run the games has has listed with out a problem.

the Geforce 7XXX video cards are know to have problems , but the games he is running are not all that intensive, even this crappy card should run them with out a problem.

getting a new video card may or may not fix his current problem.

Also It might be nice to point him to a couple choices since ATI is not the only vendor out there and some people hate the way the drive takes over the system and has to have so many thing running by default.

The other thing is ATI displays colors differently then nVidia cards and someone more used to nVidia style might want to go that way.

btw I do have an ATI card in my desktop and I like it a lot and im even running linux on it.

Just recommending the best bang for your buck cards out right now.

Onboard graphics, whether it’s desktop or laptop, are pitiful. I have an 8200M in my laptop and it can barely play Tomb Raider II - yes, an 11 year old game.

It is without a doubt the onboard graphics that are causing his problems…onboard just isn’t enough, and upping the memory allotment on it will not help.

You could easily test that in Vista by measuring the performance index. Tell us what grade all the hardware items get and if the videocard is indeed the lowest number.

Thanks for all the help, i dont understand all the technical stuff no matter how hard i try so tell me what the best thing to do is in lamens terms please :L

anyway here are the grades:

Processor: 5.9
RAM: 4.7
Graphics: 3.8
Gaming Graphics: 3.0
Primary hard disk: 5.9
Overall its 3.0

btw what did u mean by changing the video card to 256mb or 512mb and how do i do that?

I have a Geforce Go 8600 512mb and it runs Oblivion on high and it runs Crysis on medium and it runs fallout 3 on high, which are all top end games. and its an on board graphics card.

you change your video card ram settings in your bios.

[QUOTE=devilsclaw;2270720]I have a Geforce Go 8600 512mb and it runs Oblivion on high and it runs Crysis on medium and it runs fallout 3 on high, which are all top end games. and its an on board graphics card.

you change your video card ram settings in your bios.[/QUOTE]
Can you guide me through that please i dont have a clue really.

Not really, you have not given enough details on your system so that I could tell you how.

there are various ways to get into the bios depending on what you bought.

dell systems is F2 key when you turn on the system…

I have seen others by F10 , Space Bar , Removing the hard drive, F12 and there are other ways also.

the most common is pressing the DEL key when the system is starting up.

thats just to get into the bios, there are many different bios interfaces.

if you can get into the bios you should be able to find it.

…or we can just conclude that Geforce 7100 isn’t suited for gaming. Sad but true just face the facts.

//Danne

Hi everybody!

I have a problem with my old game Blade Runner: I just cannot install it on my vista-32… When i introduce the CD1, the autorun launches, but when i click on “install”, the “autorun window” just desappears and nothing happens…I read that people could install it on their vista but I wonder how they did… :s Anyone’s got an idea to solve that? It would be great…Thx a lot

[QUOTE=kratos017;2270717]Thanks for all the help, i dont understand all the technical stuff no matter how hard i try so tell me what the best thing to do is in lamens terms please :L

anyway here are the grades:

Processor: 5.9
RAM: 4.7
Graphics: 3.8
Gaming Graphics: 3.0
Primary hard disk: 5.9
Overall its 3.0

btw what did u mean by changing the video card to 256mb or 512mb and how do i do that?[/QUOTE]

Well, there ya go! Your whole system scores almost 4, except the gaming graphics performance. That’s a 3.

Now, you have to bring that to 4 or more so you can run your game with more awesomeness included :). Do do this you either tweak (manually configure the crap out of hardware) the thing, or buy a new decent card with superb performance.

Tweaking costs nothing but time, but is very complex.
Buying a new card costs almost no time, but a lot of money.

[QUOTE=freeman1406;2271212]Hi everybody!

I have a problem with my old game Blade Runner: I just cannot install it on my vista-32… When i introduce the CD1, the autorun launches, but when i click on “install”, the “autorun window” just desappears and nothing happens…I read that people could install it on their vista but I wonder how they did… :s Anyone’s got an idea to solve that? It would be great…Thx a lot[/QUOTE]

Run the setup and the game itself in XP mode or try the options in this link: http://dirkworld.blogspot.com/2008/08/running-blade-runner-on-windows-vista.html

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2271253]Run the setup and the game itself in XP mode or try the options in this link: http://dirkworld.blogspot.com/2008/08/running-blade-runner-on-windows-vista.html[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have already tried to modify the compatibility mode but it didn’t change anything (maybe i did it wrong…but i don’t think so), and about the link you gave, it talks about fixing graphic problems while playing the game (but i can’t even install it ^^).
But thank you very very much for having replied so quickly :slight_smile:

@ Mr. Belvedere
It doesn’t need to cost a fortune.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161279
Very good bang for the buck
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2271292]@ Mr. Belvedere
It doesn’t need to cost a fortune.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161279
Very good bang for the buck
//Danne[/QUOTE]
I know Danne. I was under the impression that the original poster wanted to know if he could upgrade for free :). Now basically he’s got two options: upgrade or tweak. :slight_smile: Most people try upgrade anyway.

Yiiiihhaaaa! :smiley: I succeded in installing my game!! :smiley:

I don’t know what I did more, but it worked!! :smiley:

So kratos017, you need a video card:

either
XFX GTS 250 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI £100
or
Asus ATI Radeon HD 4770 512MB PCI-Express £80

Also bear in mind that for a 48xx series card you WILL need a a decent, branded, PSU! 4770 FTW though, GDDR5 has virtually removed the need for a 256 bit memory interface :smiley: