Why did DVD-RAM disappear?

I read an article which said that DVD-RAM can be written/re-written to 100,000 times, or 100 times more than DVD-R/+R. If it is better, then why is it only apparently used in the TV markets in the US?

Is it worth waiting for triple DVD format recorders (DVD-RAM/-R/+R) from LiteOn? :smiley:

written/re-written to 100,000 times

And CDR’s last 100 years, and CDRW can be written 1000 times.
:wink:
OC just reviewed the LG tripple-drive, check it out.

Because it costs more than other dvd media and cannot be played in most (all?) dvd players.

For data, it is the best and only format for general use as its reliable, does last for many re-writes, and so is best for backup of media you wish to amend.

It is not ideal for one-time recording as per it’s cost and incompatability in players.

It is not dead - so why the ‘dissapear’ in your post - you can get the media most places I know of - maybe not general high-street retailers - but they only cater for numb-nut joe-public who are taken in by salesmen, promo’s and advertising bullshit.

u can’t use dvd-ram for dvd-video, which is a huge drawback considering that most ppl who buy a dvd burner do so to backup dvd movies. triple format drives might help bring back dvd-ram, but it might be too little, too late for that since dvd+/-r are already so popular.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
And CDR’s last 100 years, and CDRW can be written 1000 times.
:wink:
OC just reviewed the LG tripple-drive, check it out.

Thanks rdgrimes. I read OC Freaks article about the LG GSA-4040B. Pretty crappy results, but as OC pointed out, only get it if you are planning on using it for DVD-RAM.

Still waiting for OC’s LWD-411S review… :smiley: