Why cant raw DVD images be burned directly to disc?

I would just like some technical reasons why. I know the original dvds encrypted, but if your dvd player can decode it(the original), shouldnt it be able to decode an image of that same dvd burned to DVd-r OR dvd+R?

or is it the media used? or am I missing something?

Properly ripped DVD images on your hard drive can most certainly be burned to disc.

thats what I mean.

why cant the image be burned directly/immediately without the ripping part.

[QUOTE=video_newb;2230280]thats what I mean.

why cant the image be burned directly/immediately without the ripping part.[/QUOTE]

Because normal VideoDVDs are encrypted, CSS etc.

Dvd player manufacturers and software player creators have to pay a royalty for the decryption keys. Part of the reason you can’t just “copy” a protected disk is the copy protection itself, bad/false sectors, hidden data, subchannels, etc, to know how to read the disk you need a “key” which is what you pay the royalty for. Programs like the Windows copy command cannot read the disk correctly because it doesn’t have the “key”. I’m not 100% sure, but I doubt companies like Slysoft or DVDFab are paying these royalties and are using the argument of “fair use” to avoid legal difficulties (although they may be or have been involved in court cases). They provide a way of removing the encryption from the source material allowing you to make a copy which is not encrypted. The whole cat and mouse game of “fair use” and copyrighted material goes back to the Sony Betamax Supreme Court case. Google it if you want the details. This is just my two cents. :slight_smile:

If you have an image then you have already ripped the DVD. I’m confused what you mean.

RM

It seems to me this person wants to burn on the fly but i’ve been wrong many times before.

isnt the usually procedure:

1. take an image
  2. extract / decrypt video files
  3. burn these to dvd

why cant we skip step 2

or, why cant I take an image of a commercial DVD using IMGBURN and just burn that image to another disc without extracting/decrypting

Skip.

[QUOTE=video_newb;2230325]
or, why cant I take an image of a commercial DVD using IMGBURN and just burn that image to another disc without extracting/decrypting[/QUOTE]

Because Imgburn doens’t have the decryption “key” to read the encrypted disk.

The ImgBurn image will have scrambled sectors. You can write those to DVD-R but you can not write the encryption keys to DVD-R. You can only write 2048 bytes per sector to DVD-R. You would need to write 2054 bytes to store the sector plus the ETK (encrypted title key).

RM

[QUOTE=video_newb;2230325]isnt the usually procedure:
[B]

1. take an image[/B]
  2. extract / decrypt video files
  3. burn these to dvd

why cant we skip step 2

or, why cant I take an image of a commercial DVD using IMGBURN and just burn that image to another disc without extracting/decrypting[/QUOTE]

No

1. Take a DVD

Correct.

so what youre saying is, since imgburn doesnt have the proper decrypting capabilities, it can never “see” or make a complete image of the dvd in the first place

Even if you can make a complete image (including ETKs) there is no way to burn this image. Burners are designed to not allow you to write more than 2048 bytes per sector for DVD.

RM