Why cant my dvd-rom play my backup version of warcraft3

I have a toshiba sd-m1712, with the no limit firmware. My previous cd-rom, which is a sanyo 32x could play the backup cd fine. I didn’t need any ‘no-cd crack’ or whatever. I could just put the backup cd in there and start the game. I thought hte new toshiba sd-m1712 could do the same thing, but when I try to run it, i would get the message “please insert the original cd, and not a backup copy”. Anyone know how I can get the cd to work with my toshiba sd-m1712?

I thought the toshiba sd-m1712 would work with the backup cds, and that’s the main reason why I purchased it. If this dvd-rom can’t support the backup cds, please tell me a dvd-rom that can please :slight_smile:

Originally posted by virgin_mary
[B]I have a toshiba sd-m1712, with the no limit firmware. My previous cd-rom, which is a sanyo 32x could play the backup cd fine. I didn’t need any ‘no-cd crack’ or whatever. I could just put the backup cd in there and start the game. I thought hte new toshiba sd-m1712 could do the same thing, but when I try to run it, i would get the message “please insert the original cd, and not a backup copy”. Anyone know how I can get the cd to work with my toshiba sd-m1712?

I thought the toshiba sd-m1712 would work with the backup cds, and that’s the main reason why I purchased it. If this dvd-rom can’t support the backup cds, please tell me a dvd-rom that can please :slight_smile: [/B]

AFAIK the Toshiba SD-M1712 is a very picky reader, but on the other end of the spectrum the LiteON 16x DVDROM is very tolerable.

So the Toshiba M1712 is a picky reader? Wow, I thought it would read all media. So which dvd-rom would read all media, including backup copies of games, and fast at ripping?

Originally posted by virgin_mary
So the Toshiba M1712 is a picky reader? Wow, I thought it would read all media. So which dvd-rom would read all media, including backup copies of games, and fast at ripping?

Liteon Combo LTC-4168H great dvd ripper and has cdrw capabilities also. plus it will read any decent game backup that you have. bout 44$ i think at www.newegg.com

Toshiba DVD readers are real picky on playing game backups. if your backup plays on your liteon it will play on the drive above.

maybe your new drive can read atip information (so the program can tell its a cdr instead of a pressed cd)

It uses the newer secure rom (well not newer anymore but newer from the point it can read atip info). Granted there are some programs that can disable the ability to read the atip information but still.

Is this drive also a burner? if so thats the reason why

Originally posted by LordOberon
[B]maybe your new drive can read atip information (so the program can tell its a cdr instead of a pressed cd)

It uses the newer secure rom (well not newer anymore but newer from the point it can read atip info). Granted there are some programs that can disable the ability to read the atip information but still.

Is this drive also a burner? if so thats the reason why [/B]

toshiba m1712 is not a burner its a dvd reader so it cant read atip