Why can't I make it work?

vbimport

I have installed this product (I think) and before I insert any disc “My Computer” identifies Drive F. Once I insert a disc drive F either disappears or I get a messa\ge saying Drive F is inaccessible.

I am very old (79) and am just a user of computers so I have no idea where to turn next. I bought this because I want to be able to play the dvds from my camcorder on my computer. Help, please.

Hi and Welcome!

could you please tell us, what kind of discs you are using when you get this error message? Have you also tried to access some factory recorded disc like a video DVD, a software CD or similar?

I personally consider these slim external drives that are only connected via USB (and don’t have their own power supply) as flawed by design. Why? These devices need up to 1500 mA @ 5V, but an USB port is specified to give 500 mA @ 5V. Not all computers can handle this massive overload.
That said, my suggestion would be to return this thing to the vendor and get a (bigger) “Half-Height” drive with own power supply instead. My personal favourite at the moment is LG’s GE20NU10 (or GE20LU10).

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2514992]Hi and Welcome!

could you please tell us, what kind of discs you are using when you get this error message? Have you also tried to access some factory recorded disc like a video DVD, a software CD or similar?

I personally consider these slim external drives that are only connected via USB (and don’t have their own power supply) as flawed by design. Why? These devices need up to 1500 mA @ 5V, but an USB port is specified to give 500 mA @ 5V. Not all computers can handle this massive overload.
That said, my suggestion would be to return this thing to the vendor and get a (bigger) “Half-Height” drive with own power supply instead. My personal favourite at the moment is LG’s GE20NU10 (or GE20LU10).

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi and thank you. I was using a DVD-R. The product os supposed to work with all types of DVDs and several reviews seem to confirm this. I have it plugged in with a Y type ISB lead as supplied which is supposed to deal with the problem you have identified. I’ll contact the vendor Tuesday and see what they can do to help. Many thanks, Geoffm

Hi,[QUOTE=goeffm;2515025]Hi and thank you. [/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

I was using a DVD-R.
a blank disc or was there some data on it? I am asking since not all versions of Windows can handle blank DVD media (if I remember correctly, this started with Vista).
What about factory produced discs as I asked already?

The product os supposed to work with all types of DVDs and several reviews seem to confirm this.
Anything else would be substandard these days :wink:

I have it plugged in with a Y type ISB lead as supplied which is supposed to deal with the problem you have identified.
The Y-cable itself is not specs compliant, and it will reduce the massive overload of your USB port by a measly 100 mA.

I’ll contact the vendor Tuesday and see what they can do to help.
Request a refund and get a drive that comes with a power supply unit.

Michael

I have checked that I have USB2 ports and yes I have tried a comme3rcial cd. That does not play either. The message I ge when clicking on Drive F (which is the Samsung unit) is Drive F\ not accessible, incorrect function.

I do not want to wa\ste your time with this so please feel free to end our chats.

Cheers,

Goeffm

No need to stop, we all got time. It’s remarkable that at your age you are still keen to learn how stuff works.

Could you right click on the drive letter and left click the appearing “eject” word? Does the device eject its tray now? Is it the same device you put the disc in?

Hi,[QUOTE=goeffm;2515234]I have checked that I have USB2 ports and yes I have tried a comme3rcial cd. That does not play either. The message I ge when clicking on Drive F (which is the Samsung unit) is Drive F\ not accessible, incorrect function.[/quote]Okay. This is an indication for some (possibly hardware related) malfunction.
Either the drive is defective, or your computer cannot handle the heavy overload of the USB port this drive is causing.

I do not want to waste your time with this so please feel free to end our chats.
:confused: Why that?

Michael

:iagree:Thank you Mr Belvedere,

I contacted the vendor and they advised me to connect the device to the ports at the back of my computer. I did so and it now oplays CDs and commercial DVDs. They also explained that I have to “finalise” any discs that I make on other devices before they will play on my Samsung. So now I am going to read the manuals and find out how to finalise my discs.

I really appreciate the kindness of all those people who jump in to help on this and similar matters.

This paarticular case can now be considered resolved.

Chhers,

Goeffm

Hi,[QUOTE=goeffm;2515541]
I contacted the vendor and they advised me to connect the device to the ports at the back of my computer. I did so and it now oplays CDs and commercial DVDs. [/QUOTE]This confirms my power issues assumption btw.

Thank you for reporting back.,
Michael

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the original poster.

I just got an external DVD burner, Drive F. Installed the software (CyberLink PowerDVD and Nero 7 Essentials) and the firmware.

But when I insert an empty Verbatim DVD+R into the drive, PowerDVD tells me “No disc in drive F:” (and I have tried using different empty DVD+Rs). And if I try to open Drive F with Windows Explorer, I get the error message “F:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.”

I get the same error messages when I insert a blank CD into the drive.

A few other things that might be relevant:

1. Unlike the original poster, I don’t think my problem is caused by power issues. Because my external DVD drive is the one recommended by Michael (LG GE20LU10), which has an external power supply.

Just to be sure, I connected the drive to a USB port at the back of the computer (instead of a USB hub), and still have the same problems.

1. When I insert a commercial DVD, it does detect the commercial DVD, and can play it.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this? By the way, the store where I bought the hardware has a 7-day exchange policy, so if it is a hardware problem I can exchange for a working one.

Thanks,
Jay

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=aceofjokers;2544463]
I am having the same problem as the original poster. [/quote]I doubt this.

I just got an external DVD burner, Drive F. Installed the software (CyberLink PowerDVD and Nero 7 Essentials) and the firmware.

But when I insert an empty Verbatim DVD+R into the drive, PowerDVD tells me “No disc in drive F:” (and I have tried using different empty DVD+Rs).
Power DVD is DVD video playback software. So there is nothing wrong here.

And if I try to open Drive F with Windows Explorer, I get the error message "F:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function."
I assume you are running Windows XP (or older). In that case, this is perfectly normal. You need CD/DVD burning software to write data onto a blank DVD.

I get the same error messages when I insert a blank CD into the drive.
Windows built-in CD-write support seems to be disabled for that drive. Right-click on the drive icon --> properties and then check the options you are given. Somewhere you can enable “recording”.
This is not needed if you stick with using CD/DVD burning software like Nerö or ImgBurn.

Michael

Thanks Michael! I followed your directions and it works now.

Amazing that the user manual hardly explains how to use the hardware. Luckily there are kind helpful people like you to explain these stuff to non-techies like me.

Thanks again,
Jay