Why can't I just copy the VIDEO_TS dir to my HDD, why do I need dedicated software?

vbimport

Sorry for what I am sure is a dumb question, but I can’t seem to find the answer anywhere…

I want to copy my DVD’s to my hard drive, so I can share them over my network with my other pc’s.

To test this, I simply copied the content of the VIDEO_TS directory to my HDD, shared that folder, and was able to play the movie on my laptop over the network using WMP v11.

My question is, if this works why do I need dedicated software to rip DVDs?

I want to have ALL the original DVD content and quality so I do not want to compress the DVD to save space or remove any menus, so is there a need for a DVD ripping tool?

Thanks for the help,
-Sean

If you watch the whole movie through, there might be some problems, due to encrypted sectors I believe, and that will cause skipping or other problems!

either that or you got lucky and copied a non copy protected DVD!

yeah like he said above… if your talking about using original movie dvd’s then it pretty much will not work without ‘decrypting’ the discs first.

which lately people recommend Slysoft’s ANYDVD or DVDFab Platinum … both are not free.

or what i recommend if your trying to decrypt dvd movies made from about 2005 or older … i recommend using the ‘FREE’ application called ‘DVD Decryptor’ which is not being made anymore due to the “higher up’s” applying pressure on LightningUK (but atleast now we have ImgBurn but it dont decrypt stuff, it just burns)

[QUOTE=NBR;2166683]yeah like he said above… if your talking about using original movie dvd’s then it pretty much will not work without ‘decrypting’ the discs first.

which lately people recommend Slysoft’s ANYDVD or DVDFab Platinum … both are not free.

or what i recommend if your trying to decrypt dvd movies made from about 2005 or older … i recommend using the ‘FREE’ application called ‘DVD Decryptor’ which is not being made anymore due to the “higher up’s” applying pressure on LightningUK (but atleast now we have ImgBurn but it dont decrypt stuff, it just burns)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. It turns out the DVD’s I copied had copyright protection but not RCE protection (according to DVD Descriptor). I have one more question. I was able to rip these to my HDD and play them on all my Windows XP machines, however my Vista machines won’t play any DVD files as it complains I need a “DVD Encoder Software”. How can i play these files on my Vista machine?

Thanks!

Try VLC Media Player.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2167022]Try VLC Media Player.

http://filehippo.com/download_vlc/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help this is an excellent player. Any tips on automatically downloading box art for DVD’s I rip to my library?

You are welcome, but I can’t help on your question, sorry.

VLC aint bad but i prefer ‘The KMPlayer’ myself (both are FREE) as KMPlayer does not have issues skipping forwards and backwards with the slider bar in a hi-def .mkv file… but i guess the OP dont care about that.

either way though with what the OP is trying to do… it’s hard to go wrong with either VLC or The KMPlayer.

Take a look at MediaPortal. It may have some feature that you like. It basically turns your PC into a Media PC.