Why can't I erase dvd-rw/cd-rw anymore?

vbimport

Hello, I’m new here and would appreciate some advice…

I have the latest Nero(7.5.9.0) installed and I have an LG dvd writer installed on winXP pro. As of 2 months ago, I can no longer erase/format dvd-rw/cd-rw disks. I know it isn’t the software or the LG burner since I have tested both on my other computer and all works well. I am pointing the finger at winXP but have no idea where the problem could be coming from. Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I am not interested in re-installing winXP.

Thank you in advance.

Try it with Imgburn and dVDInfopro.

If FAST erase wont work, try FULL FORMAT.

Thanks for your reply. As I said, the problem is definitely from winXP as I have tried other software packages to try and erase my cd/dvds but to no avail. The result is the same every time. Here is an image of the error I am getting:

Do you have Alcohol installed by any chance?

Welcome to the forum, BTW :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Yes I do have Alcohol installed as well. As I mentioned earlier, I have tried every software I can think of. I noticed something when I tested the drive in another computer: I inserted a blank cd-rw and looked at the cd info. My LG drive recognizes it as a cd-rw. No problems there right? Once I finished burning something to the disk, I looked at the cd info again and now the disk is recognized as a generic cd-rom. Anyways, I think I have no choice but to re-install winXP.

Thanks for trying to help.

If you are going that far (Reinstalling the XP) then you be better off to do reformaing your drive ohterwise just reinstalling the Windows might not solve your problem.

Try this first, before going the reinstall route.

In Alcohol, under Emulation settings, make sure the option for “Ignore Media Type” is unchecked. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1668521]Try this first, before going the reinstall route.

In Alcohol, under Emulation settings, make sure the option for “Ignore Media Type” is unchecked. :)[/QUOTE]

Fabulous!!! That did the trick for me!!! Thanks a million!

Hehe, you’re welcome :)…and welcome to the forum!

[QUOTE=Arachne;1668521]Try this first, before going the reinstall route.

In Alcohol, under Emulation settings, make sure the option for “Ignore Media Type” is unchecked. :)[/QUOTE]

Bless you Archne! I joined this site just to tell you that you are a great help! :clap::bow:

Okay so :frowning: It had said the file was erased and yet it isn’t :frowning: so instead of giving me an error message like everything else it just lied to me… and now if I go to try and format it via windows I am told it’s write protected…

Buy new RW media or a newer burner.