Why can't I do backup Audio-CD "on the fly" with this setup?

I hope that someone can help me… :confused:

I just bought a brand new PC…a7v333…Athlon 2000 and:

• Maxtor ATA-133 7200rpm 60GB (Alone on the first Raid channel)
  • LiteOn CD-RW 48125W (alone on the primary IDE)
  • Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 (alone on Secondary IDE)
    I’m using CloneCD to backup some non protected audio CDs.

Do you think that it is “normal” that I fail to backup Audio-CD “on the fly” even at 16x?
If I do an image on the HD I can burn at 24x with no problems at all. I used the same CD-R media for both tries.

Did you activate dma on Toshi 16x?
You got to know Toshi drive isn’t fast as audio reader…maybe you would not be able to copy on the fly even with dma anabled.

Bye

First, I chaned the title because it didn’t explain your problem at all, which is annoying.

Second, as to your question. The reading speed of a drive is not the same as the speed at which it can handle Digital Audio Extraction.

A lot of drives can’t even handle Digital Audio Extraction (DAE) at 4 speed (older drives). I don’t know what the average of your drive is, but I do know that 16x DAE is quite high and not many drives can handle this.

On Win-Xp with latest VIA drivers installed from my point of view the (ultra) DMA mode is enabled on both IDE channels.

This is a “newbie CD freak” question: :o
So, if I want to do a fast CD-audio backup I have to check the DAE speed and not the overall reading speed?

PS: Thanks for changing the title… :bow:

Originally posted by Rigido
So, if I want to do a fast CD-audio backup I have to check the DAE speed and not the overall reading speed?

Yes, that is correct.

You can use the audio CD to run the transfer rate test in CDSpeed on the Toshiba. The DAE utility from CDSpeed’s web site can also tell you the ripping speed.
If you want an excellent DVD drive that can also rip audio, the LiteOn series DVD drives will do the job and are pretty cheap.