Why Can't I Burn?

vbimport

I bought FujiFilm DVD+R RW [Actually a pack of 75]
And my DVD Rom won’t read it.
MY DVD Rom is LightScribe DVD + Writer / CD Writer

Is My DVD Rom broken or is this normal?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Before looking at the media itself, do you have any software such as Alcohol or Daemon Tools on your PC? If so, this can cause the same behaviour with blank media, and a setting may need to be changed in one of them.

Also, can you download and run CD-DVD Speed, put one of the Fujifilm discs in your drive, and go to the “Disc Info” tab…there you will find the manufacturer and MID info, that’s what I’d like to know.

Hi Arachne, Thanks for the quick reply.

I did have those two tools that you’ve mentioned. I uninstalled them a while ago. About a month ago it couldn’t read any kind of CDs, then after a while it couldn’t read any DVDs either.

I brought my computer to a tech, and he told me he disabled PowerISO and that everything was working fine. I brought my PC home and sure enough, it worked. Then I installed PowerISO again last week because I needed it just for one task. I went ahead and uninstalled PowerISO after that and my DVD/CD ROM seemed to be working fine. It could read anything. Until I bought these DVD that I mentioned.

I ran CD-DVD Speed like you recommended. However, when I put the FujiFilm DVD in my ROM it just keeps turning and and turning and won’t read it. And I double click my DVD/CD Drive and it shows empty. On the CD-DVD Speed when I click on the “Disc Info” tab, it says “No disc inserted”.

OK, it could still be the media…and that tech was wise to uninstall/disable PowerISO, that’s the same kind of software as Alcohol etc and can cause the same problems :wink:

Just to make sure, can the drive currently recognise other blank media (CDR, DVD R)?

Failing that as I said, it could be the media (Verbatim is what I use for RW media, both CD and DVD)

Yes, when I try other CDs and DVDs of all kinds, it recognizes them.

I burned something on another computer with the FUJIFILM DVD and it burned fine, but when I put it in my DVD ROM it still can’t read it, however the other computer reads it.

I just inserted a Verbatim DVD-R and it even could burn.

I then inserted a TDK CD-R and it’s reading it as well.

I found a FUJIFILM DVD-R that I had burned with a while ago, and it read it.

EDITED:
I inserted a Maxell DVD+R and it can’t read it. The drive changes from DVD-RW Drive to CD Drive, and when I double click it, it’s empty, yet there is something on it and I am the one who burned this DVD a few months ago. So this is weird.

irony

So far all that can be read are minus R disc and you are trying plus R, Is your dvd rom able to read plus disc ?

bean55

[quote=bean55;2021694]irony

So far all that can be read are minus R disc and you are trying plus R, Is your dvd rom able to read plus disc ?

bean55[/quote]

Bean55, yes so far it seems that way. It was able to read plus disc before, because the Plus discs I have that has something burned on them, I am the one who burned them with the same burner that is not reading them now.

I have googled and searched this Forum and I still can’t find anything that would help.

irony

That sometimes happens when using bad media.Verbatim and Tayo are the preferred disc.
What brand is the one that was burned with this burner?

bean55

Maxell DVD+R is the brand that was burned with this burner, yet now can’t read it.

I sometimes buy Verbatim, but they are so expensive. I don’t remember seeing a brand named Tayo.
When I buy my DVD/CDs the salesmens always tells me all brands should work in my computer, and that it doesn’t matter if it’s +R or -R. I guess that’s the job of a salesman.

I hate that I bought 75 of these FujiFilm +R and now I have to go buy some more. And I know my burner used to read those.

I hate that I bought 75 of these FujiFilm +R and now I have to go buy some more. And I know my burner used to read those.

Before buying more disc there are a couple more things you can try. Have you updated your DVD Burner firmware lately?

Tayo was misspelled ,Meant to write Taiyo Yuden which I have only seen sold online.
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-dvd-r-media.html
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=+50008330&Configurator=&Subcategory=-1&description=dvd+r&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

are 2 places.

bean55

Have you updated your DVD Burner firmware lately?

No. I never have done that. I wouldn’t know how to.

The only DVD Firmware I found for my Drive says it is from 2006. And it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with my problem, plus I bought my computer new in 2007.

The mfg of your burner should have the update and instructions on how to do it.

Search through here or at afterdawn.com through there guides, i am sure you will find something. I am leaving my work here in a few minutes so I do not have time myself to look till later.

bean55

irony

What type and model of burner do you have? Can you get your tech guy to do some firmware updates ? For the burner and your motherboard.
Here is a place to start checking into firmware.Keeping your firmware up to date keeps your computer happy which in turns keeps you happy.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-210819/

bean55

[QUOTE=irony;2021152]I bought FujiFilm DVD+R RW [Actually a pack of 75]
MY DVD Rom is LightScribe DVD + Writer / CD Writer

Is My DVD Rom broken or is this normal?[/QUOTE]

A “DVD-ROM drive” can only READ recorded cd/DVD, no blanks.
You have a DVD writer, but which one?
And how are those DVD+RW rated?

I went in Properties it says this: LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160H6S

I went to look for firmwares and there is no recent updates.

I uninstalled and re-installed the drive and it still does the same thing.

Except that I got it to read the FujiFilm +R that I burned on another PC, and now when I try the same DVD again it won’t read it. It takes a long time then shows as blank.

I also did a registry cleanup/repair with Eusing Free Registry

I tried doing checking for errors with PC-Doctor, but a java error thing pops up.

EDITED: I’m not sure what you mean by “How are those DVD RW rated”

Ok, I googled it, is this what you mean:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/devices/DVD__RW/Lite-On/SHW-160H6S.html

I stopped by to talk to my tech this evening and explained to him the problem. He told me to bring the computer over so he’d have a look at it.
I will post more when I know what was wrong to help anyone who might have the same problem in the future, as soon as I know more.

Irony I am having the exact same problems that you are having and it all started after installing PowerISO.

I can use Nero and burn DVD/RW but data verification fails in Nero once burn is complete, and DV/RW’s that used to work on my computer now show no files present when I open them. I have tried these DVD/RW on other machines and they work fine.

Also, I tried uninstalling PowerISO and rebooting, but still the problem persists.

Please let me know if you figure this out. I will do the same…

Sorry for taking a long time to give the update of how this got fixed.
I brought my PC back to the tech, and he replaced the burner. It works fine now. :clap:

[QUOTE=irony;2021152]I bought FujiFilm DVD+R RW [Actually a pack of 75]
[B]MY DVD Rom is LightScribe DVD + Writer / CD Writer
[/B]
Is My DVD Rom broken or is this normal?[/QUOTE]

A DVD-ROM is never a DVD writer. Either you have a DVD-ROM drive or a DVD writer or combo.
A DVD-ROM can never read BLANK media, either CD or DVD. Even a writer needs media which confirm with its capabilities.

[B]What exact media, hoiw rated?[/B]