Why.avi format will not play on dvd player

I have several dvd movies, all in .avi format. On copying to dvd, they will not play in any dvd player. They have been ‘closed.’:a

I have same problem, strange :frowning:

Why should they play something else than standard MPEG2 video?
Please read the manual of your player in order to see, what formats are supported.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2217121]Why should they play something else than standard MPEG2 video?
Please read the manual of your player in order to see, what formats are supported.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I have converted AVI to MPEG2 and DVD but both will not play on dvd once it has been burned onto disk. I used WINavi to convert. Am I missing something or just a total noob :confused:

No idea what went wrong. I suggest to contact Winavi support for advice. :wink:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2217135]No idea what went wrong. I suggest to contact Winavi support for advice. ;)[/QUOTE]

I am now ploughing through the mine field that is DVDLab Pro 2. I think I had better take up a degree to understand even a quarter of this stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

I used WINavi to convert.

Why?

Am I missing something or just a total noob

Perhaps!..Do the new converted DVD files play from PC?.. You might try, AVStoDVD,ConvertxtoDVD,FAVC,DVDFlick…Anything besides WinAvi…[B]JMHO[/B]!..And use reliable media(disc type)…