Why are some dvds ripped slower than others?

vbimport

hi cdfreaks,

i use the following hard/software for ripping:

• philips dvdr1640p retail (firmware p3.7 riplock-patched with mediacodespeededit)
  • anydvd v6.1.3.3
  • nero recode v2.2.6.17
  • dvdfab decryptor v3.0.2.0 (for some new dvds anydvd is not working)
  • dvdshrink v3.2.0.15 (only for testing)

most of my dvds are ripped with maximum speed, up to 16x near the end of the disc while cpu load is reaching 80-85% when the dvd has to be transcoded. but for some dvds its different. for example the dvd “hard candy” takes 40min to rip (only css protected with no other copy protections listed by anydvd, its a new retail dvd without scratches or dirt). anydvd/nero recode, dvdfab decryptor or dvd shrink only reach about 2x - 3x speed while ripping, while cpu load stays at ~20%. no other software is running in the background which would slow down the process, no other software is accessing the harddisc or dvd drive while ripping. i have no idea why some dvds are ripped so slow while most dvds rip with the highest possible speed. so can anyone explain why this is happening or even knows a workaround?

its my first post on cdfreaks, so thanks alot for any help.
belinda

Welcome to CDFreaks Forum, The speed of your ripping depends to lots of factors, the format the DVD have been prepared, whether the DVD is single or Double Layer.

Also is the DVD is B/W or Color and finally the amount of your RAM in your systems and free space available in your hard drive not to forget that your hard drive is in PMA in PIO position.

Welcome to CDFreaks Forum, The speed of your ripping depends to lots of factors, the format the DVD have been prepared, whether the DVD is single or Double Layer.

Also is the DVD is B/W or Color and finally the amount of your RAM in your systems and free space available in your hard drive not to forget that your hard drive is in PMA in PIO position.

most of todays retail movie dvds are double layer. my hard/software constellation has no problem with single / double layer dvds in general. just some of them (maybe 1 out of 20) is ripped very slow. i dont understand what you mean with b/w or color, my problem is related to normal silver-data-side retail dvds. athlonxp 3000+, 1gb of ram and a regularly defragmented 250gb harddrive. all drives run with highest possible dma mode. should be enough for dvd ripping.