Why are printables more expensive?

Why is it that printable DVD discs are more expensive then non-printable discs? is it because it (somehow) is more expensive to put a blank white piece on the disc? Or do they charge more because you get the “privilege” to print on whatever you want?

This is especially true for Dual/Double layer discs. For example: Non-printable Verbatim Dual layer discs are $37.95 for 20 discs. Printable Verbatim Dual Layer is $52.95 for 20 pieces…that’s 15 dollars more just for a printable surface! (Prices at blankmedia.ca)

I will only buy printable discs now that I have a printer that can print on DVD’s. Anything else is just a waste of money to me.

Making an inkjet printable DVD adds another stage in the production process, as the white or silver printing surface must be printed onto the disc…

But it also subtracts one stage: printing the brands name and/or design on the disc.

[quote=joseph5;1960823]But it also subtracts one stage: printing the brands name and/or design on the disc.[/quote] It doesn’t really substract a stage; either disc type requires a printing run. (Although the cost of an inkjet printable surface is probably higher than a typical laquer print of rebranded discs.)

[QUOTE=SilverBlade2k;1958288]Or do they charge more because you get the “privilege” to print on whatever you want?[/QUOTE]This cannot be denied.
With media from major brands such as Verbatim, only larger packs (50++) are completely logo free; smaller 25 or 10 packs etc. always contain a small Verbatim logo. We have a peculiar form of “volume discount” here.

Most of the time, you pay for the privilege of being able to print onto the discs. Printable discs without logos provides less advertising for the manufacturer or distributer, so they have to get their money back somehow! :smiley:

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

It also depends on the quantity made or sold. I used to work for a public access TV station and we’d buy a lot of Super VHS tape. Buying them in ‘bulk’ (without cases and labels) from our vendor actually cost more than getting the same tapes in consumer bricks of 10 (with plastic sleeves and sticky labels) simply because the consumer ‘brick pack’ was a more common item. We threw the labels and sleeves away…