Why Are Plasma Sales Booming At The Expense Of LCD?

vbimport

Plasma sales are booming while LCD TV sales are being to slow according to David Hsieh, Vice President, of DisplaySearch in China. In a report issued late yesterday he said that plasma sales were hitting historical highs.

Link: http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large_Display/Plasma/U5P8P6L6

:cool::cool:

Because manufacturers are discontinuing plasma models, and have lowered prices to offload excess stock.
And they’re cheap. And people don’t realise that plasma’s suck the power like a blackhole. And they can get a full HD (1080p) plasma for significantly less that a HD-Ready (720p/1080i) LCD of the same size.

Duh :stuck_out_tongue:

The worst part about this, is that now manufacturers will read more into this (other than that people are cheap bastards) & will start making more Plasma TV’s to supply the market, which will convince them to hold off on LCD and OLED research … both better products, and might even save the environment.

Size too. There are relatively few decent LCD’s in the 50" and above range.

I’d regret opening a power bill after buying a 50"+ plasma :iagree:

Well the best plasmas blow LCD video outa the water, so some buy because of that. But most buy on price so those sets are probably about equal to most lesser LCD sets as well. I use a 34" CRT set here so power draw with a newer plasma probably wouldn’t affect my bill much anyways, and average power draw of many plasmas for now is pretty close or lower then LCD is, it’s when they are doing a full white screen that they max out, that doesn’t happen very often.
If I could afford what I wanted I’d get one of the new Pioneer Kuru Plasmas, they are stunning to watch, excellent black levels, color, brightness, overall contrast, etc.
Of course very soon something new might come along and bury both and we can argue about them next.
Me I like total black on my screen when it’s called for and most LCD or Plasma sets just can’t do it, they go slightly grey. My older CRT set has BLACK when it shows a dark scene.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2139789]Well the best plasmas blow LCD video outa the water, so some buy because of that. But most buy on price so those sets are probably about equal to most lesser LCD sets as well. I use a 34" CRT set here so power draw with a newer plasma probably wouldn’t affect my bill much anyways, and average power draw of many plasmas for now is pretty close or lower then LCD is, it’s when they are doing a full white screen that they max out, that doesn’t happen very often.
If I could afford what I wanted I’d get one of the new Pioneer Kuru Plasmas, they are stunning to watch, excellent black levels, color, brightness, overall contrast, etc.
Of course very soon something new might come along and bury both and we can argue about them next.
Me I like total black on my screen when it’s called for and most LCD or Plasma sets just can’t do it, they go slightly grey. My older CRT set has BLACK when it shows a dark scene.[/QUOTE]

:iagree::bow::flower:

Plasma Picture Quality out do LCD plus LCD has a drawback about fast moving oject (Games & Action Movies) with very slow response.

They can’t make more panels because they’re closing down the plants…
Plasmas can be good, Pioneer (Panasonic) makes awesome screens for instance but they cost $$$ :slight_smile:
That LCDs are slow is more or less false, look at a hi-end LCD by Samsung/Sony/Sharp for instance…
//Danne