Why are my backups all corrupt at the end?

I’ve just bought a 2510A, updated to Herries 2.06 firmware. Using DVD Decrypter to copy to my hard drive then DVD Shrink 3.2 to reauthor and burn using the nero option. Trouble is nearly all the films lockup right near the end. I’ve scanned the discs using DVDInfoPro and it reports bad sectors at around 98-99%. The discs I’m using I bought from dabs.com are 2x DVD-r in a pack of 50. DVD Identifier recognises them as

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MXL RG01]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [MXL RG01]
Manufacturer Name : [Hitachi Maxell Ltd.]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , (2x)]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

I thought these were supposed to be a good make. I’ve read about the Maxwell fakes that are going round but surely such a big organisation as dabs wouldn’t sell fakes - would they?
So my question is, is it the media or is it the burner or something else I’m doing wrong?

Well, my vote goes to the media.

When I burn dodgy media faster than rated (i.e. 4x at 8x), I get very high Kprobe counts towards the end - it may be likewise for your discs (eventhough they are burned at 2x).

Can you try some other medias and see if you get the same result. Or you could make a disc image, mount it with daemon tools and check the image for errors.

You could perhaps choose the manual quality setting and compress a little more perhaps keeping the size down to 4GIG and see if that helps. I also think its a media issue.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I’ll try that trick about keeping the size under 4 gig see if that helps. At the moment I’ve been keeping the last chapter with the credits so that if it mucks up, it’s gonna be there. I’m assuming that’s the last thing on the disc when doing a full back up?

all my rips are 4.2 gig, the bit at the end just isn’t reliable.
Evan on quality media, thats the place it will fail.

I also have “MXL RG01” media. I bought them for 19 cent per disc.

Of course, the media ID is counterfeit - Maxell would never sell discs for that price.

After about 3.9 GB, the discs cause reading problems. So I do not burn more than 3.9 GB on the discs - and everything is fine so far!