Why am I having problems with movies?

I manage a video store for my father, and customers often return movies saying that they would not play on their dvd player. Now, 99% of these movies that get returned with that problem will play on my computer at work (sadly, we do not have one dvd player in the building, except for the computer) and on my dvd player at home. Now, for the people returning movies with this, I let the have another copy of the same movie. Usually, they bring the second copy back and say , yea, it worked just fine, thank you. Sometimes, however, they will bring the second copy back and say, nope, this wouldn’t play either. Now, in most cases, I will tell them, sorry, that is your dvd player, not my movie, and they dont get to pick another movie or receive a refund. Am i wrong to do this, as i know movies and dvd players have compatibility issues, or am i on the right track? Moreover, what can I do or tell my customers to do to fix this problem, and is there anything on the dvd or case that will fortell of this problem if you know what kind of a dvd player you have? Any help or info is greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Buy a cheap DVD player to test them on. Computer DVD drives are a lot more fault tolerant than say a $50 Magnavox. It’d also allow you to ‘showcase’ your product.

thanx oly for the quick response, and i know i need to get a player in here, but i still need to know what i can tell my customers, if there is a way to check if these problems will occur beforehand, and if there is anything me or my customers can do to fix this problem!
Thanx again.

Assuming these are commercially made movies, they [B]should [/B]be compatible with all types of dvd players. Some players might be a bit more sensitive to certain types of structural copy protection that has been applied, but those cases are fairly rare. I remember some LionsGate studio releases that screwed up playback because of their clumsy copy protection.

You might check the disks that aren’t playing well for dirt, smudges, or excessive scratches that will interfere with playback, but since you run a rental shop, I have to assume you are familiar with those types of problems.
It is also possible to simply get a bad disk straight from the factory, with an internal flaw that is hard to spot, but causes playback problems.

Personally, if someone comes in and says the dvd won’t play, I’d give store credit for another movie. Make them sign a release and keep track of store credits that have been issued, just to make sure no one abuses this policy.

well that answers a little bit, but what about people that bring a movie back and say it wont play, and i give em another copy of the same movie and some say it works, and some say it dont, even the second copy. i think thats what has most confused!

Sounds hella fishy to me, LOL. You own a video store and don’t have a single DVD player? C’mon now. LOL You can even go to like K-Mart or something and get a ghetto ass DVD player for like 20 bucks. I think this so called video store is ur house, let’s keep it real, and you selling bootleg DVDs and ppl are coming back returning 'em saying they don;t work, LOL.

[QUOTE=Ripgut;2284272][B]Sounds hella fishy to me, LOL. You own a video store and don’t have a single DVD player? C’mon now.[/B] LOL You can even go to like K-Mart or something and get a ghetto ass DVD player for like 20 bucks. I think this so called video store is ur house, let’s keep it real, and you selling bootleg DVDs and ppl are coming back returning 'em saying they don;t work, LOL.[/QUOTE]

same thoughts here…

um…lol…no…but i do agree we should have a dvd player…but like i said…if need be…we just stick in the computer and play and people pretty much leave it alone if they said it wouldnt play…cuz more than likely it will play in the computer…but i think the reason we dont have a dvd player is because my dad wants to wait until we can put a television on the wall, and that way the customer can watch the movie as well.

Lets give him a break guys…we always, always give members here the benefit of a doubt, and I see no reason to question his motives.

Get a high quality player with upscaling for your store. Some of the cheaper models seem to play anything, so a more advanced model might be a better choice for testing suspect disks. Unfortunately I can’t tell you offhand which ones are particularly picky.

Take them home and play them.
Take them to a friends house.

ok. ok. we are getting off topic here, i need to know what the problem is…why are they not play on everyone dvd player, only some, and the one copy wont work but another will work is hella fishy to me…so lets see if we can answer that question…what i have in my store is neither here nor there…i need to find out a reason and how it can be either detected or fixed!

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2284286]Lets give him a break guys…we always, always give members here the benefit of a doubt, and I see no reason to question his motives.

Get a high quality player with upscaling for your store. Some of the cheaper models seem to play anything, so a more advanced model might be a better choice for testing suspect disks. Unfortunately I can’t tell you offhand which ones are particularly picky.[/QUOTE]
I know, I’m jus messin’ around, all fun and games, I hope he knows I’m jus kiddin’ with him.:p;):smiley:

Are these DVDs like the ones you rent from Blockbuster, or buy. Retail DVDs?

i believe they are more like the ones from wal-mart…anybody ever heard of rentrak, that is where i get my movies from, they are based in portland oregon, and i receive them on the friday before the tuesday they are supposed to come out…and like i said…it usually works on my computer and on my dvd player at home…so i dont know which ones are suspect until i let people start renting them…all in all…i just want to know so i can tell my customers something…other than i dont know…or they are just not compatible…to tell the truth…i think it makes ME look bad when this happens…even though i didnt make the disc or their dvd player…by the way rip, love the haddonfield crack in your location area…long live michael…i hope they continue with the story or keep up with the remakes…i was really diggin’ the remake of the first one by zombie…good show!

Just FYI, but on occasion I have had to return Dvds to the store we bought them from, I never go beyond the second attempt, because if you get the exact same problem in the exact same place, you can pretty well bet that the whole batch they recd is screwed. On other occasions the second one has worked fine. Even if you get a dvd player in store, it means nothing, we have 6 dvd players in the house & sometimes dvds will play on all & sometimes they won’t, they should always play on all, but they don’t. So, just because they bring it back & it plays or doesn’t play in your store machine means absolutely nothing, because you are not playing it on their machine. Here’s my suggestion unless you want to ask everyone that does this if they will permit you to come to their house with the dvd & let them show you on their machine, suck it up, you are in retail, the customer is always right. If a person brings the same dvd back 2 or more times, you give them a credit for a free rental, it’s not like you don’t have the stock on the shelves, but you keep track & if the same people are doing this constantly, you let them know that you know, with the facts. Sorry you have done this 10 times in the last month, we will no longer give you a credit. You don’t advertise the fact anywhere that you give or don’t give another copy of the same movie or store credit, but do it at your discretion, as a courtesy to your customers.

you know…beef barley…that is pretty much what i have been doing so far…and since i am not getting a clear cut answer…i do believe i agree that is the best thing to do…i believe i will just keep doing it…thanx for all the input everybody!!

[QUOTE=beef barley;2284319]Jthe customer is always right.[/QUOTE]
That’s my motto, but a lot of ppl do not I agree with me. I wish service was like the 50’s. Prompt and friendly.

Anyhows, on topic now, I never had any problems ever with any retail DVDs that I have bought, whether they have been from Walmart or Blockbuster, weird. I had a Sony DVD player, but now I got a Philips DVP 5140 which plays DivX, and I have been able to play every single retail DVD with no problems in this one also.

You can also speak to your supplier and let them know that your customers are having issues with their movies.

[QUOTE=tatemovieguru;2284299]ok. ok. we are getting off topic here, i need to know what the problem is…why are they not play on everyone dvd player, only some, and the one copy wont work but another will work is hella fishy to me…so lets see if we can answer that question…what i have in my store is neither here nor there…i need to find out a reason and how it can be either detected or fixed![/QUOTE]
Make sure they ain’t using a ps2 to play them. Nothing but problems for me in the past. I told many to go elsewhere.

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2284326]You can also speak to your supplier and let them know that your customers are having issues with their movies.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the best advice to me.