Why adjust the INPUT video?

vbimport

Hi. After trying a few different video converters I’ve decided to stick with AVS Video Converter 7.1. However, I’m a bit bemused by the ‘Aspect Correction’ tab – I can understand why you would want to specify how the output video should look but why would you want to change the INPUT video? Surely the program can read the properties of the file you’ve just loaded… Here’s an extract from the program makers’ own website which doesn’t help me at all. If anyone can explain to me how and when to use the ‘Input Video Aspect Correction’ options I’d be very grateful. While I’m here, I have a supplementary question. I’ve just used AVS Video Converter to change a 1280x720 avi to a 720x560 avi. I used the same bitrate and the same frames per second yet the new file is slightly bigger than the original. Is there a reason it’s not smaller given the smaller dimensions?

Virtually no one I know uses this software, so you’re pretty much on your own around here looking for advice on using it. There is no reason to adjust the input video that I can see, unless the program just can’t handle the the input without correcting the aspect ratio.

As to the size, did you use the same video and audio codecs? Avi is just a container, and can have any number of different types of codecs within it.

Thanks (again) Kerry56. I found the answer to my main question - a video may be 4:3, 16:9 or whatever but may not necessarily carry that ‘flag’. If you load a 4:3 into AVS and it doesn’t show 4:3 under ‘Original’ then you’d click ‘4:3’.

I don’t know about codecs, I just take whatever the program gives me. But it sounds like a reason, so thanks.