Who will win? LightScribe or LabelFlash

Just wondering who will win in this disc printing realm. LightScribe or LabelFlash?

I like LightScribe and have an LG drive that I made a disc from. The print looks good and has decent resolution. I haven’t tried the LabelFlash yet, but saw a review of it at TomsHardware.com . To me, the blue is distracting, but from what I’ve read the print looks better (under a certain angle of light). I’ll stick with LightScribe because it’s better to see what’s on the label.

So, what are your thoughts?

LS.
Only Ritek is currently doing LF. Most manufacturers have joined the LS camp, and LS is available for CD-R too.
While LS @ Blu-Ray will be business as usual, LF @ Blu-Ray would make the manufacturing process much more complicated. :iagree:

Neither wins.
LS or LF is useless eye-candy just like the old Yamaha disc-t@2 (was called that?) feature. Nice to look at, but useless IMHO.

I really can not understand why people buy drives with LS/LF support just to

• wait about 30 minutes for
  • a single color / greyscale picture that
  • is only available on very special, overprized media.

If you can afford a LS/LF burner, you can afford a printer with direct CD printing. The media are minimal more expensive and offer a way better picture quality.

I agree with kg_evilboy - LS media is a lot easier to come by than LF media. More media manufacturers make it, compared to Labelflash, which is ATM only made by Ritek for Fuji.

I kinda like the Lightscribe colour anyway :slight_smile:

Edit: I’d have put this in the CD & DVD Printing forum, since it’s not media-specific…but maybe that’s just me. :slight_smile:

I would say lightscribe but i also think both are kinda gimicks. The time it takes to do LS will get quicker as theres version 1.2 out now and im sure i read that theres going to be a version 1.3 which will be even quicker, i was’nt verbatim going to released ls cd-rs that was different colours.

It’s not just you. :slight_smile:

• Thread Moved * *

Thanks for the move. I’ve been so used to posting in the blank disc forum that I forgot the one for CD/DVD printing.

Yeah, I do agree about the LS/LF gimick to this. But the idea is still a good one, even if printing is in monochrome. Awhile back, I was going to buy a Casio CD printer shortly after they came out, but I held off. A few weeks ago I decided to head up to BestBuy and get a DVD burner. They had an instant rebate on an LG drive, so I picked it up for $40. The LS feature to me was a bonus at this point.

Hopefully this disc printing concept doesn’t go the ways of T@2, but who knows. I still have a MiniDisc player around here because I thought it would replace cassette tapes someday. Thankfully they still make blanks for it. I’ll probably be stocking up on them LS discs if the technology ever goes south. If anything, for the sake of keeping the feature alive as long as my LG continues to work.

To kg_evilboy, I know what you mean as far as Blu-Ray. Plus for LF, to me the color doesn’t look appealing. Kind of an eye sore. Yep, LS is the winner here.

Later all…

What is the cheapest printer that does this? You can get a LS burner for less than $50, I’m pretty sure that the printer would cost more than that.

The least expensive I’ve seen is Epson’s Stylus Photo R220 color inkjet which retails for around $89 US.

I’m thinking of the two, Lightscribe. Why? First, the contrast of black on gold is easier to read, it would seem, than black on blue. Second, Lightscribe has a HUGE head start. They simply got there first and support for Lightscribe is much broader. Third, I’m not sure what potential advantages the other format portends to offer.

I think if Lightscribe would make a silver media available, which gives even greater contrast to the black text, it might even make high-contrast software label burns less necessary. With the gold media I usually have to burn my text 2 times at the highest level of contrast/quality. I don’t think I’d have to do that with silver media.

As for inkjet printing - I think the single biggest drawback in the US has been the lack of no-smudge, no-smear media. I have no idea why this has taken so darn long to get done. It seems that it would be much easier, given the amount of no-smudge, no-smear paper already available out there. BUT, if major names like TDK and Verbatim came out with no-smudge, no-smear CD and DVD media, I think things might pick up.

But another item that may be hindering is the apparent patent lock that Epson has for low-cost inkjet printing directly to disk here in the US. If Canon was allowed to sell direct-to-disk printers here, I have a feeling that the competition would drive costs down noticeably.

Unlike Epson, Canon has transparent ink carts that do not contain chips that limit their ability to print after a certain number of copies. Epson’s ink carts are opaque and have that chip, so you never really get to see how much ink you have left when it “decides” to tell you that cart will no longer work.

Competition and a level playing field could be enough to help make inkjet labeling a more viable option. Given that Lightscribe media is about 3 times more expensive than standard media, and burning good contrast Lightscribe labels is very time consuming, and that Lightscribe can only print in grayscale, I think if the inkjet folks just got off their tails and made some things happen, folks might bail on both the LS and LF methods in favor of a world of high-resolution color. I think I would.

I’m waiting for something in colour. But that will mean overpriced media. A good solution would be first monochrome and then colour lazer printer with a disk tray, coz I have had it with ink.

You can get some pretty darn good labels with Lightscribe, but they just take too long, imo:

Add up the cost of wear-&-tear on your LS burner plus the media plus the sheer time it takes, and divide by the poor quality of the resulting artwork.

Then compare it to inkjet media (even with the cost of the printer & ink), and I think you’ll agree there’s no contest. Inkjet rules, and always will. The others are interesting gimmicks - nothing more. Most of my printed backups are indistinguishable from the originals, until you flip them & see the purple data side.

Unfortunately, DVD lightscribe doesn’t look nearly as good as CD’s because of the way they are constructed (with that plastic layer over the top of the label surface). If Labelflash suffers from the same problem, I can’t see it coming out on top either.

Ah, good to know. I wondered about that since I read some time ago that US citizens do not get the usual Canon CD tray and that they would need to change some settings in the service menu of the printer, too.

Since Imation has come out with their AquaGuard printable CD’s and DVD’s, smudge and smear proof inket printing may be easily at hand. Given that it can do full color and right on the very top coated surface, that may be an alternetive.

I know that Epson can do the CD Tray thing, but I think HP also has a model out now that will do that, so it might help expand the market a bit and make it more affordable and provide another vendor to choose from.

HP D5160 for $99 USD:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=Q7091A%23ABA&tab=overview&storeName=storefronts&landing=printers&category=photosmart_printers&subcat1=&catLevel=#defaultAnchor

Not too bad of a start. 4800x1200 dpi and all, up to 6 color printing with two 3-color carts.

I use the Epson 200R with SureThing label SW. Have Light Scribe too, but it is too slow.

Mack

I may be giving those Imation AquaGuard disks a try and bite the bullet and spend $99 on a CD/DVD printing Epson. What the heck - it’s only money… lol