Who wants bitsetting support in firmware?

Since only very few drives support changing bitsetting in firmware - but many users seem to want this option - I thought it would be fun to create a poll on the subject.

I love when poll creators make the options that they’re against very specific, so that there’s really not an option that I want to vote for, but am forced to choose one that partially matches my opinion.

Well, you may have a point there. Anyway I would like to think that you should be able to find an option that suits you the most - and apparently you did :slight_smile: Thanks for voting though - even though it’s not required.

Unfortunately I can’t change the text associated with the poll options - which is logical if you think about it. However since you are the moderator maybe you could change the text for the the last option to a plain “No” - gueess this is the option you were looking for?

Regards,
The biased poll-creator :smiley:

“Do you want your DVD burner to allow changing of booktype/bitsetting?” is pretty rhetorical, isn’t it? who wouldn’t want to be able to change booktype?

and why would i pick “Yes - but only for DVD+R media” when “Yes - both DVD+R and DVD+RW media” is available?

:confused:

I’m not a moderator of this section so I can’t change it.

I chose “No - it’s not important. I have tons of cash and replace my DVD players every 3 months” because of course I’d love to ahve my drive support bitsetting, but I don’t need bitsetting so it’s not important. However, I don’t have tons of cash and I don’t replace my DVD player every three months.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
[B]“Do you want your DVD burner to allow changing of booktype/bitsetting?” is pretty rhetorical, isn’t it? who wouldn’t want to be able to change booktype?

and why would i pick “Yes - but only for DVD+R media” when “Yes - both DVD+R and DVD+RW media” is available?

:confused: [/B]

Holy cow! I guess it’s hard to please all when creating a poll :bow:

Anyway, yes the text may be rhetorical for most people having experienced problems playing back DVD+R media on their 12 months+ old DVD player - unless the bitsetting is set to DVD-ROM. For the rest - like dhc014 and others who don’t need bitsetting capable firmwares because they never had this problem - the question might not so rhetorical after all??

However getting companys who produce DVD burners to include this handy feature in firmware - like Ricoh did on their first DVD+R burner - is not as easy as it sounds. Ricoh understood that there might be a compatibility problem and solved it by producing a firmware that allowed changing the bitsetting. Other companies do not always see things from the endusers point of view. Unless you can prove to them that there is a real need for this feature they will keep ignoring single requests from a user like me. The idea behind this poll was to see whether DVD+R media really are causing people trouble or not. Personally I have three DVD players at home and they all refuse to play DVD+R media - unless the booktype/bitsetting is set to DVD-ROM.

The reason I created the option to pick bitsetting for DVD+R only is due to the fact that most players have no problem with DVD+RW (at least that’s my experience and I wanted to see if it really is the case). Contrary to what most people might think the first generation of DVD+ recorders only supported +RW. +R was introduced in the next generation of recorders. So I firmly believe the compatibility problem is mainly in the DVD+R area. But hey, I totally agree with you. Lets have firmwares that allow changing bitsetting on both +R and +RW media. Why the h… not.

Well, I’m sorry if people think I’m biased and sorry if others get confused by 5 options instead of just plain simple YES or NO options (no offense intended). I just thought it would be interesting to get a more detailed poll. To bad if you don’t agree. But I’m cool - I created the poll and you are free to create your own :slight_smile:

Anyway people, how about some votes? Are AZImmortal and I the only ones who think this feature would be great?

Originally posted by dhc014
I chose “No - it’s not important. I have tons of cash and replace my DVD players every 3 months” because of course I’d love to ahve my drive support bitsetting, but I don’t need bitsetting so it’s not important. However, I don’t have tons of cash and I don’t replace my DVD player every three months.

I think I get your point. However if you would love to have your drive supporting bitsetting - even though you don’t have the need - why didn’t you vote for option 3 instead? If you think your drive should support bitsetting it should be important to you.

I’m not quite sure what went wrong here. I try to shed some light over compatibility problem with DVD+R and possibly DVD+RW media and all of a sudden everybody want to argue whether I’m biased or ask rhetorical questions. Come on guys, this is not the importance of this poll. If you don’t agree feel free to not doing so - but please, give a poor guy a chance. This is my first poll in this forum and I almost certainly promise I’ll never do it again :slight_smile:

For the rest - like dhc014 and others who don’t need bitsetting capable firmwares because they never had this problem - the question might not so rhetorical after all??

the question is still rhetorical because i’m sure that even if someone doesn’t have any problems playing dvd+r booktype, they would still want the ability to change their booktype, regardless of whether they would directly benefit from it. dhc014 said it himself when he said “of course I’d love to ahve my drive support bitsetting.” as for myself, i have no real need to be able to change booktype because i don’t have playback issues, but i’d still like that option in case i’d like to play my dvds in a friend’s picky dvd player. i’m not here to argue about anything, but my point is that if u ask a question like “would u like more options?” about any topic, the obvious answer is yes (as long as it doesn’t cost extra for the feature).

Voted: Yes - both DVD+R and DVD+RW media.

It’s in the spec’s so why not, if it helps!

The more I have read about this the more I think it is important to be able to change the book type. I plan on using my burner to copy home video and distribute to various family and friends, and compatibilty on a wide range of players is a must.

NEC 1300A (and compatibles) firmware will be released anytime in the next weeks supporting booktype setting for +R(W) :smiley: Keep tuned :smiley:

Herrie

Originally posted by cdmania
[B]NEC 1300A (and compatibles) firmware will be released anytime in the next weeks supporting booktype setting for +R(W) :smiley: Keep tuned :smiley:

Herrie [/B]

Heheh thanks Herrie, you are the greatest!

Originally posted by cdmania
[B]NEC 1300A (and compatibles) firmware will be released anytime in the next weeks supporting booktype setting for +R(W) :smiley: Keep tuned :smiley:

Herrie [/B]

/me is tuned :bigsmile:

does anyone have a list of dvd burners that do support
bitsetting with bitsetter program
thanx

My old Ricoh 5125A support bitsetting but my new pioneer DVR-106D Firm 1.07 !
:frowning: :a