Who uses auto-loader CD/DVD printers ? Studiojet, Primera, ADR

vbimport

Hi all,

I’ve been using for years an Epson R300 to print Taiyo Yuden DVD white inkjet surface (just the normal, not the watershield). As i get more and more quantities (from 50 to 400 DVD), i think about buying a DVD printer that does the job automatically, as a robot.

Does anobody use the Studiojet ?
http://recordexusa.com/studiojet.html

Or any other experience with this kind of printer ?

My budget is around $1500.

Thank you.

I looked at getting an autoloader. The problem is this printer is based off an HP. From the reviews I’ve heard on HP disk printing, they leave something to be desired.

If you’re spending that kind of money you can buy 8 Canon Pixma ip4600/ip4700 stack them and output in 15 minutes what this thing is going to put out in over an hour.

If this thing dies can you rip the auto load portion off it and attach it to a new printer?

I even considering buy a lego mindworks kit to build a robotic arm to do the autoloading.

The cheap answer is buy more printers.

I already have 3 Epson R300 and it’s very boring when you have something like 400 DVD to print. A robot is the solution. And with non-proprietary cartridges. That’s why the Studiojet is really interesting. I’ve ordered it today !

Out of curiosity, how much is it selling for?

I used to own the Epson R200, if the r300 is anything like that, I can commiserate, as they are dead slow.

The Canon line of disc printers are a lot better if you can get them in your area.

I paid it 1000 € in Europe.

Are you happy with printer?
Can you apply ciss on it?

Best regards

Still not received :frowning: It was shipped 10 days ago.

Ok,

Please review this device when receiving;)

I am looking to buy microboards Print Factory Pro, but I am little woried about cost per print, because no refills or ciss cannot be found, but in my country all competitors work with ciss, so If i want to sell I must drop down my print cost.

Best regards

Received yersterday.

• fragile and bad conception mechanical
  • drivers bugs

That sucks. Can you send it back?

I will keep it. Anyway, this is the only one that uses non-proprietary cartridges. No choice to be free.

Whats the output per hour on it? How many discs per hour?

I haven’t tested it with 50 DVD yet. And it depends of course of the image printed.

Anyway i don’t advice it at all. Yersterday again many bugs appeared.

We have a Mantrajet (same as Studiojet)
http://www.mediasupply.com/mantra-jet.html

Great machine, 50 disks per hour full colour, full coverage. Nice solid machine.

We use re-filled HP 56/57 cartridges for around $10 each.

Good machine, depending upon the coverage, we get around 300 disks per set of cartridges.

This printer is a real piece of shit. I do not advice anyone to buy that.

OK i will more details after a full week of printing :

** The mechanical **

• First, the mechanical hasn’t been made properly. Some elements are fragile and broke easily. I received my printer with one broken. I had to repair it myself

• A few disks are not ejected correctly. They go out on the floor, out of the container.

• The printer doesn’t swallow some disks, so they stay blocked inside the printer. I have to put some books under the printer to tilt it at 15°. Then it works.

• The printer swallows one disk when you turn it off. So you have to remove any disk before, otherwise they’re blocked inside. And if you launch printing when the disk is inside, you get all the stuff printer with a big shift, not center at all

• This is not calibrated at all when you receive it. I had to test on around 40 disks to center perfectly the printing.

** The drivers **

• The drivers can’t be uninstalled or updated. Once they’re installed, you can’t make work another version

• The drivers on the CD don’t indicate the ink status, except for the latest drivers but which don’t work properly. So i have to use two computers, one for printing, one for ink status

• The printer doesn’t stop printing when there’s no ink anymore. So you make many coasters with bad colours. You have to check out the ink status many often to avoid this, and finish with pack of 10 or 15 DVD instead of 50 because it won’t stop itself.

** Conclusion **

Yes this is a piece of shit.

My condolences, this thing wasn’t cheap either. Not such a great cost to absorb.

Just wondering, do you think this thing is easily reverse engineered by end users?
If you posted pictures, do you think a technically orientated person could make one of these provided he used a suitable hp printer as the base unit?

[QUOTE=kuurgen;2484740]My condolences, this thing wasn’t cheap either. Not such a great cost to absorb.

Just wondering, do you think this thing is easily reverse engineered by end users?
If you posted pictures, do you think a technically orientated person could make one of these provided he used a suitable hp printer as the base unit?[/QUOTE]

Sorry i’m not sure to have fully understood your question (my bad english).

Well yes this is based on an old and cheap HP printer. I don’t remember the exact model. I never liked HP because of their drivers. But this was the only printer that used non-proprietary ink. No choice. That’s why i bought it.

It was pretty complicated to open and repair it. We were three person on it, included a mechanical professor. By opening it, you discover how much the conception is bad. This professor explained me why the things could broke easily : bad matter for some elements, screws not placed correctly etc.

So Mantrajet is the same than Studiojet?

Yes. I do not recommend it to anyone. This printer is a nightmare.