Who reads books?

I know this may sound crazy, but do you cd freaks actually read books?
You know, those brick-shaped, heavy pile of rectangular paper that could be confounded by a router by some…
Well?

tecnical books and some sci-fi books.

Regularly. Books are good! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Ludlum , Cussler, are some favorites. Currently re-reading a fantasy adventure series by Vardeman and Milan called the “War Of Powers”

I do a lot of reading. fact, fiction, romance, biography, i don’t really mind. i’m currently reading “Live The Dream” by Josephine Cox.

Dean Coontz would have to be one of my favourites, Stephen King rates right up there also. Nothing like a little Horror!

I’m usually reading about 3 or 4. I don’t have the attention span to just read one from cover to cover. I usually finish one every week.

And I hate the way you’ve thrown all the fictions together.
Fiction can be broken down into at least the following categories

1. Science fiction.
  2. Fantasy.
  3. Dull, boring, & possible! (Usually written for housewives and other women, who want to feel that at least someone elses life is just as dull & boring as theirs & the books tend to win many awards from Dull boring reviewers that prefer to write exceptionally boring reviews than succinct, “to the point” briefs)

Edit Stephen, King of the Horror world…although his world seems to revolve around a small town in Denver called “Derry”. Maybe his ex wife lives there :stuck_out_tongue: /Edit

I like to read novels. I have just been on a Cussler binge…FireIce now.

I have always liked Cussler. I just went to a book signing recently and had “Trojan Oddessy” signed. Not to many Authors could keep the same main character (Dirk pitt) through so many years. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Why aren’t there options for history, science, and other subjects? Without reading books, how can anyone like me know anything about the times I haven’t lived in myself and about the places I haven’t been to? I mean without spending money on time-machine and air-tickets.

Watching TV drama and horror movies corrupt human minds in most cases. Playing games and imitating fashions, too.

All of what I said above are meant to criticize South Koreans, not people who posted above, whom I have always regarded as idiots of IQ 20 since I was about 15.

The people posting above? Or the korean couch potatoes? :iagree:

It’s a frightening day when you realise you are much smarter than both your parents & nearly all people around you. The people around you are usually defining your reality :eek:, until you get older :iagree:

You have to overcome yourself and forget being human.

During the several years till I became 15, can you imagine I could have thought you and other posters here as idiots then? It’s not easy to give up family in a land where family means everything and give up school where no company and no family admits a person without a degree. I didn’t want to accept idiot’s way of thoughts and lives so I decided on that self-destructive course.

This thread’s title is “who reads books?” In Japan, each Japanese national reads a little over 10 books in a year. In South Korea, one or two. Average Japanese are not smart or well-informed. Extremely illogical. South Koreans are far worse. Fashion and TV drama are characteristic of South Korean culture that are exported to other Asian cultures like Japan and China.

Sorry to make the font size smaller but you answered to that part. I made it smaller only because it’s off-topic. Usually, I don’t hesitate calling people idiots. :slight_smile:

To err is human…but damned if I’m gonna admit it was my fault :iagree:

I certainly wouldn’t hesitate either. If the shoe fits…
People don’t like to hear the truth though.

There is nothing more demotivating than the truth :wink:

I have read some of Cussler’s books a year or two ago. Ken Follet several years back. James Patterson more recently. Larry McMurtry (spelling on this one, I can’t quite remember) wrote Lonesome Dove and others. Usually I read fiction.

Although, non-fiction, John Neff (couple of books) and Jack Bogle. A big fat book about Windows XP, so, whoever wrote it must have knew what they were talking about.

I read mostly in the winter time.

There are two options for people who are idiots. Revolutionizing oneself, or self-destructing.

I used extreme expressions but it’s the basis of my thinking about humans. Of course, there are exceptions, to some degree. My wife cannot count numbers like I do because of cerebral palsy. I don’t know well about the exact history of her brain damage or anything related to that because I started talking to her only last year. She never wanted to admit it because she felt it was some kind of weak points. It did demotivate me. I mean not contronting the truth and not sharing it and the fear. As I said above, you have to forget. Babies don’t have much of self-knowledge. They just pursue survival by asking for food and safety and observe with baby-like curiorisity learning fast and earnestly. Combining discipline, self-knowledge, and such baby-like mentality is the starting point.

Idiots have a lot of pride in themselves which is not a coincidence. They are often fanatic, rigid, and dumb at once. All humans are, after all, but can be overcome without a conscious destination which is all about calling outselves humans.

Are you suggesting confidence in your abilities is hand in hand with idiocy?
How do you feel about your knowledge about, eg: cdwriters? :wink:

I’m not sure about fanatic. I suspect most logical people can be swayed with persuasive arguments, but it’s kind of a moot argument, since said people aren’t idiots. I would suggest fanatics tend to be among the easier to persuade, initially, but like a dog in a bone, are reluctant to let go once they have a cause.

I agree with adaptability. Any self conscious human should be able to adapt to changing situations. We haven’t climbed to the top of the food chain by being rigid in our ways. Although now, since money has come into the argument, I can’t help notice the rigidity of society & the associated decay.

One note is that we don’t adapt physically, although our body naturally tweaks itself in response to strenuous activity /etc, essentially though, humans tend to change our environment to suit our comfort zone.

Don’t mind me, I’m just in an idiotic mood :iagree:

I enjoy a good book. Something Sci-Fi / Fantasy sort of thing.

Terry Pratchett is a fav.

I do like reading a lot. Problem is that my time is quite limited, so reading doesn’t go really fast here. I bought “The art of deception” by Kevin Mitnick half a year ago and I’m only at page 114 right now. That’s bad eh?

I do read lots of stuff for the university btw, so in that way I do read a lot (but it’s not recreatic).

John Grisham, all his books basically (love legal thrillers :wink: )

Donna Tartt - Little Friend (her second book, first one was great too)

Matt Beaumont - E, a novel about liars, lunch and lost knickers (Absolutely hilarious, it was not possible to put this down until I had finished it)

And a few Dutch writers…

Haven’t time to read much, but once I found a great book, I will make time to read it

Not reading as much as I used to and want to. Anyway, preferences:

Biographies, History.
Robert Ludlum (all his books, except “The Road to Gandolfo”).
Ken Follet (especially: “The Cathedral”).

And the favorite: Herman Wouk (especially: “The Hope”).

I didn’t really get into “Road To Gandolfo” either. Follet is one of my favorites also. Did anyone read “Shibumi” By Travanian? One of my all time favorites. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: