Who makes the very best DVD-R disc for purchase in US?

vbimport

I have a Pioneer DVR-108 & want to buy the very best blank DVD-Rs for data archival. Quality is of the essence here. I want the best discs and I live in the US. What discs do I buy and where’s the best place to order them from? I heard Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, and Ritek G05 are all good, but I want to know who’s the very best out of all of them. I don’t want to buy, say 300 blanks and find out I could’ve gotten something better elsewhere. Let me know, thanks very much.

Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, Fujifilm (Prodisc), and Maxell are all good. A lot depends on your recorder. Most work best with this or that brand. If you try Ritek get the Ridata Branded. I have heard they are trying to regain customer trust after selling some fair to bad G05’s. I have better luck with DVD+R for exceptional burns. The Verbatim, Fujifilm 8X (Taiyo Yuden’s), and Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD+R’s are the best I have found. I have tried most of the popular brands. The Verbatim 16X DVD+R’s are also very good. Again, it depends on your burner. Some burner firmwares are better turned for some brands over others. I recommend that you buy disks of the same right speed as you recorder and burn them at that speed. I burn with a Liteon 832S and Benq 1620. They are exeptional burners and burn almost anything I feed them. Check out the newest firmware for your drive as it usually burns well with more media. Here is a scan of Verbatim 8X DVD+R on my 832 burned at 8X and scanned at 8X.

Just a thought; the generally accepted speed for Liteon scans here is 4X. I allows people to have one less variable when they compare.

If price is no object, premium Taiyo Yuden would be my recommendation. www.rima.com

It is always a matter of writer + best media for your writer.
That being said, the Pioneer 108 is an excellent DVD-R burner.
It does a damn good job with TYG02 and MCC (Verbatim) media.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/179/6

I don’t think you can do much better than TY and Verbatim MCC. The only problem is a lot of -R Verbatim is the MCC code made by CMC rather than Prodisc. That being said, TY has to win.

Yeah, the stuff in my tests was Singapore MCC media. :smiley:

I’m using the Verabtim 8x DVD-R’s MCC 02RG20.
Are they not as good as the CMC?

Besides:
@wesociety:
Could you have a look at my post here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133808
Thanks!

(You are very active man…an answer in every post, now I understand how you got near 4000 post :cool: )

All MCC 02RG20 discs are pretty good stuff.
MCC 02RG20 discs can be manufactured at a variety of locations.
Some are made by CMC for Verbatim, some are made by Prodisc for Verbatim, etc.

Sometimes :stuck_out_tongue: , I’ll check your other thread.

TY from www.rima.com all the way here. It’s all I ever use now. I too, find wasting time and money on anything less than the BEST of the best media to be just that, a waste of time and money.

JD

Are those premium or value quality discs?

Premium. Value is always sold as 4X in the US even though some are 8X. Rima has no 4X. If you see 4X TY anywhere I would assume it is Value.

This may well change in the future as 8X is eliminated in favor of 12X, but for the next few months that is the case.

You must mean 16x ;). There really aren’t any “12x DVD±R discs”.

Is it safe to burn at slower speeds like 1 to 4x or even 8x on a faster disc, like a 16x disc? Does disc quality go down as the rated speed increases? I’m just looking for the best discs and don’t care about speed.

Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn’t. It depends on the media, the burner and the burner’s firmware.

Example: Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 16x burnt at 6x on my Plextor PX-712A (fw 1.06) is excellent, but not much better than when burnt @12x (max).

Example: Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R 8x burnt at 2x on my NEC ND-3500AG (fw 2.TB) is a COASTER - totally unreadable past the first few hundred megabytes. The same media burnt at 6x, 8x or 12x on the same burner is excellent.

Yup, anyways if you are buying the faster discs then it doesn’t make much sense to burn it at a slower speed. It certainly doesn’t affect the quality any by burning faster.

What if my system can’t keep up with 8x or 16x (being that 16x DVD data rate = about 144x if it were CD)? Would burn quality be low if it went into buffer underrun-proof mode, say 30 times in a burn? I’m on an AMD Sempron 2300+ 1.27 GHz with 512 MB of DDR RAM, have a Maxtor 30-GB 7200-RPM HDD and a Seagate 20-GB 5400-RPM HDD. I plan to buy 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs from rima.com (100 for 43 USD). These work well on a Pioneer DVR-108 (FW 1.19), right?

Yes, they should work just fine. I actually used to burn @ 4x on my 8x TYG02 DVD-R discs from rima.com when I was running my Pioneer 105 burner (can’t burn higher than 4x ) and they worked just fine.

Thanks very much. If anyone has any more info about the discs, leave it here. :slight_smile: