Who makes the enclosure for the Mad Dog MD-16XDVD9-EXT?

vbimport

I have this burner and having tons of problems with it. I’m wondering who makes the external case for em so I can look into seeing if the firmware for the housing needs updating. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

there are two styles of external cases

first which i have not seen in my store:

and

which i purchased. mine is kindof inbetween these as it has the bottom case and the DL 4X graphic in the corner like the top one.

so which do you have and what problems are you having?

Mine looks like the first one. Anyone know who makes it?

BTW, here is a link to the issues I’m having:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=120617

Basically, I can’t get the drive to burn with Alcohol120% or Nero, but have gotten it to burn with the trial/free versions of CopyToDVD and DeepBurner.

Thanks for the pics!

What versions of the software are you using. What OS?? Generally if some copy programs will work and some will not it’s a software, driver, issue not a hardware one. What Brand,and type of DVD’s are you using?? Whats the rated speed 4x,8x,16x?? DVD-R did not burn well in my Maddog burner
Do you have aspi installed. I know that nero has there own thats installed with its software since 5.5xx or 6.0 but I had a problem with nero once and installed aspiv4.60 and that cured the problem. It doesn’t hurt to have it installed even if your software doesn’t require it. The case I had on my 16XDVD9-ext was the top case with the maddog name in the center. I believe that the bottom picture is the newest case and its also made by BTW. I don’t believe there is a way to flash firmware on a USB enclosure, but I don’t think that is the problem.

Some external enclosures are like dvd burners, made by one company and rebadged by others. Bytecc and Vantec make enclosures similar to the one in the first picture.

looks like a bytecc me 320 or 720 not sure which

If it helps, I’m running the latest updated versions of both Alcohol and Nero on a WinXP Home laptop. I’m using TDK 8x DVD-R discs and burn at 2x. BUT, I can’t even get Nero and Alcohol to simulate the burn.

I’m using the ForceASPI and the latest firmware from Mad Dog.

What are you burning data or Movies?? What version are you using of nero?? My Maddog did not like -R discs at all and I had a similar problem. Pick up some branded DVD+R discs and try them. I just bought some TDK 8x DVD+R 25 in a cake box for $9.99 at bestbuy in Calif. Great buy!! :wink:

I’ve tried burning both movies and data discs, but to no avail with Nero or Alcohol. I’m using the latest version of Nero, 6.6.0.3. I’ll go out today and get some DVD+R discs, but I find it odd that I can burn with DeepBurner and Copy2DVD just fine with the DVD-R media.

It could very well be a possible problem with the enclosure…
Can you pop the drive out and install internally for a test?
If Nero works fine with it installed internally, then you can determine the culprit.

i can confirm that it hangs with some -r media (old old old 2x cmc mag )
0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 50 00 02 87 0d 13 88 99 80 00 .@…P…
0010 : 03 43 4d 43 20 4d 41 00 04 47 2e 00 00 00 00 00 .CMC MA…G…
0020 : 05 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …

burns 4x cmc af1 -r@8 just fine though

– scratch that it failed to fixate session… back to +r on this drive

Is the NEC firmware compatible with the USB version of the MadDog 16XDVD9-EXT? or is it only cross-compatible with and IDE connection?

NEC firmware will work fine on a USB oem.

I am thinking of getting the 16X external model. How do I update the NEC firmware for an external model? The DOS does not see the USB drive.