Who makes AML discs?

vbimport

As the title suggests, I know about more regular makes like Ritek, CMC etc… But who makes AML discs? Are they any good, and what brands are they under? :slight_smile:

MID Codes like:

AML-003-00

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2609012]As the title suggests, I know about more regular makes like Ritek, CMC etc… But who makes AML discs? [/QUOTE]

Currently only Umedisc makes them. In the past they were made also by Infosmart, Promedia International Limited and several other small companies from HK and China.
The stampers with this MID code were made by Anwell Digital, who supplied the manufacturing technology and the process know-how to these companies. Several years ago, Anwell bought Umedisc and two Chinese media manufacturers (Jilin Quingda & Henan Kerry Digital), integrate them into one company “Umedisc Ltd.” and ceased to supply the “AML” stampers to other companies.

Are they any good, and what brands are they under?

They are usually OK, especially the 8x rated ones (AML 002).
You can buy them quite easily under Kodak, Tesco, Samsung Pleomax brands. Also, some European supermarket chains use Umedisc’s media for their house brands media (Kaufland - K-Tip, Hypernova - Novaline, Ahold - Euro Shopper, etc.)

Not bad media, though scans are not always the prettiest depending on your burner. I have a couple dozen from several years ago that are still playing just fine.

[QUOTE=pepst;2609013]Currently only Umedisc makes them. In the past they were made also by Infosmart, Promedia International Limited and several other small companies from HK and China.
The stampers with this MID code were made by Anwell Digital, who supplied the manufacturing technology and the process know-how to these companies. Several years ago, Anwell bought Umedisc and two Chinese media manufacturers (Jilin Quingda & Henan Kerry Digital), integrate them into one company “Umedisc Ltd.” and ceased to supply the “AML” stampers to other companies.

They are usually OK, especially the 8x rated ones (AML 002).
You can buy them quite easily under Kodak, Tesco, Samsung Pleomax brands. Also, some European supermarket chains use Umedisc’s media for their house brands media (Kaufland - K-Tip, Hypernova - Novaline, Ahold - Euro Shopper, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Well, I’ve just bought a pack of ASDA DVD+R, purely for experimenting and I know the last batch I got were pretty good, with the reliable CMC MAG M01.

To my bemusement though, I actually got AML-003-00. Burnt a few on my cheap Techwood DVD recorder and on LiteON PC burner, and they verify very, very well :slight_smile:

I’d be inclined to say they’ve been the best media so far actually, after having lousy experiences with CMC MAG AM3, RitekF1 / RitekF16… I’ve only burned about 20 so far, and if they’re all good, I might buy some more.

Pity their media has gotten expensive now :frowning: £8.75 for a pack of 50…

Anybody else got their tuppence to throw in about AML discs?

(EDIT: ASDA DVD-R are UME02. Does anyone have any idea why their DVD+R is AM3, and their DVD-R is UME02, especially considering they are made from the same manufacturer? :confused: