Who is Who - The Samsung OEM and Crossflashing thread

Hi all,

since Samsung made drives are also sold by other brands (like Sony or Philips for example), I thought it would be a good idea to have a list that helps checking if a certain drive is a Samsung clone, and which also provides information about crossflashing success (A successful crossflash is a good indicator for same hardware). This list will be part of the FAQ.

And please, do not ask the question about “how to crossflash” since this is covered in the FAQ, and there are also several threads about this giving detailled information.

Let me start with the drives I own myself:

SH-S182D = TS-H652D = Sony DRU-830A = Philips SPD 2412T
Crossflash successful
Comment: Best firmwares are TS-H652D KC03 or Philips SPD 2412T P1.5

SH-S203B = TS-H653B
no crossflash attempted

SH-W163A = (nearly) TS-H553A
Crossflash kills the drive!

TS-L632H (slim) = SN-S082H
Crossflash successful from D300 (Dell OEM) to SB01

SH-S202N = TS-H652N = Philips SPD6005BM

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/philips-spd6005bm-00-drive-254242/

TSSTcorp TS-L632M (slim) = TSSTcorp SN-S082M
[I]Crossflash successful from 0817 [HP OEM] to SC03 [TS-L632M] and SB00 [SN-S082M][/I]

TSSTcorp SH-S202H (half-height) = [almost] Sony DRU-840A
[I]Crossflashes from DRU-840A to SH-S202H have been successful, but 840A does not support LightScribe[/I]

Check post #16 from here. Seems like a success.

Hi,[quote=KTL;2151559]Check post #16 from here. Seems like a success.[/quote]I know :iagree:
But I deliberately posted my [I]personal [/I]crossflashing experience :slight_smile:
It is indeed an excellent idea to also post links to threads or posts where a successful crossflash is reported.

@Albert:
Do you remember, what non-Lightscribe version of the 202 drives are equivalent to your Sony 840? I think, this is worth mentioning :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2151683]
@Albert:
Do you remember, what non-Lightscribe version of the 202 drives are equivalent to your Sony 840? I think, this is worth mentioning :)[/QUOTE]Sorry, it was the SH-S202H. :slight_smile:

So I suppose it would be:
TSSTcorp SH-S202H <=> TSSTcorp TS-H652H <=> Sony DRU-840A
[I]Comments: Sony crossflash to TSST firmware not personally tested.[/I]

[QUOTE=Albert;2151333]TSSTcorp SH-S202N (half-height) = [almost] Sony DRU-840A
[I]Crossflashes from DRU-840A to SH-S202N have been successful, but 840A does not support LightScribe[/I][/QUOTE]

I’m confused. Why would you list an almost, when the more appropriate cross-flash would be with a 202J or 202G?

EDIT: Never mind, I see mciahel already pointed that out.

[QUOTE=negritude;2152238]I’m confused. Why would you list an almost, when the more appropriate cross-flash would be with a 202J or 202G?[/QUOTE]

I failed to remember if either 202G firmware worked [which it didn’t, if I remember correctly now] or if the 202J firmware worked, and at the moment wasn’t getting search results that clarified what did and what didn’t work.

I did remember that 2 or more CD Freaks members had definitely made their DRU-840A into 202N drives that worked [except for the understandable lack of LightScribe], which is why I put that down.

After Michael asked, I tried a different search and got the 202H crossflash result, so I was able to put that down.

EDIT: I missed your edit. :doh:

[quote=Albert;2151709]Sorry, it was the SH-S202H. :slight_smile:

So I suppose it would be:
TSSTcorp SH-S202H <=> TSSTcorp TS-H652H <=> Sony DRU-840A
[I]Comments: Sony crossflash to TSST firmware not personally tested.[/I][/quote]Shall I edit post #3 accordingly?
Also, 202H is LS firmware, too if I remember correctly :confused:

As far as I know, there are two generations of Samsung 20x drives, each has a pair of LS/non-LS drives. This applies to both, the Sata and the Pata drives.
You might be able to flash a 2nd generation firmware on a 1st gen drive without killing it, but performance should be poor.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2152263]Shall I edit post #3 accordingly?[/QUOTE]That’s a good idea. Probably better to do that. :slight_smile:

Also, 202H is LS firmware, too if I remember correctly :confused:
:doh: I’ve got to do more searching when I get the time; it’s a bit confusing, actually. I can’t decipher what Samsung means on it’s AU site: http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computerperipherals&type=opticaldiscdrive&subtype=dvd_rwdrive&model_cd=SH-S202H/BEBN

As far as I know, there are two generations of Samsung 20x drives, each has a pair of LS/non-LS drives. This applies to both, the Sata and the Pata drives.
You might be able to flash a 2nd generation firmware on a 1st gen drive without killing it, but performance should be poor.

Someone tried flashing either 202J or 202G firmware to the DRU-840A [cannot remember which], and the drive failed to detect all media, blank or written, recordable or pressed.

[quote=Albert;2152269]That’s a good idea. Probably better to do that. :)[/quote]Done. :slight_smile:

:doh: I’ve got to do more searching when I get the time; it’s a bit confusing, actually. I can’t decipher what Samsung means on it’s AU site:
After clicking the full specs, I see some strange letters that look like “Light Scribe”. :slight_smile: Of course, you need good, clean glasses to see that. :bigsmile:
Great: from the same table “[I]Disc Labeling support: [B]NO[/B][/I]” :doh:

Someone tried flashing either 202J or 202G firmware to the DRU-840A [cannot remember which], and the drive failed to detect all media, blank or written, recordable or pressed.
I’d guess, it’s a 202J, but verification is needed.

Next guess: 202J, 202H and DRU-840A are 1st generation 20x IDE drives?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2152278]After clicking the full specs, I see some strange letters that look like “Light Scribe”. :slight_smile: Of course, you need good, clean glasses to see that. :bigsmile:
Great: from the same table “[I]Disc Labeling support: [B]NO[/B][/I]” :doh:[/QUOTE]You see my quandary :bigsmile:.

[quote=Albert;2152318]You see my quandary :bigsmile:.[/quote]Same on Samsung global ODD support website SH-S202H specs :frowning: sigh