Who is using PowerDVD 5?

vbimport

Thinking about buying PowerDVD 5, but can’t find any reviews on it. Don’t know if Lite-On DVD-ROMs come w/ PowerDVD 4 or 5. Would like some feedbacks if anyone’s using it.

Try this link…

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_1/feature-article-htpc-III-dvd-software-3-2003.html

Looks like a PowerDVD 4 review to me.

I tried the Demo version, and it keeps locking up my machine when trying to play a DVD, also gives some weird error about my TV out being incompatible, when I dont even use the TV Out :frowning:

I went back to 4 Deluxe.

Now that’s what I like to hear. Maybe when the first patch comes out.

Originally posted by Stoner
Now that’s what I like to hear. Maybe when the first patch comes out.

Just wondering… why don’t you try the demoversion Belgarath is writing about?

try this software as it has many-many more features.i have both but windvd5 platinum is my default player.

Dee: Have PDVD 4 DX installed atm. Just want to see whatever’s pov is on this new version before I dive in. I actually d/led the demo… but I’m afraid to install it.:bigsmile:

I have PowerDVd XP, is that newer or older than 5? Did you try zdnet and cnet for reviews?

CyberLink added XP to their PowerDVD software from version 4.0 to go w/ Windows XP. And nobody has a PowerDVD 5 review AFAIK.

Originally posted by Stoner
Dee: Have PDVD 4 DX installed atm. Just want to see whatever’s pov is on this new version before I dive in. I actually d/led the demo… but I’m afraid to install it.:bigsmile:

Euh well make a image of your system drive first :wink:

or use VMware…
or use a second system (if you happen to have a second system ofcourse)…

options enough :wink:

Yes, I have the clone of the system on a HD, secured in the safe…

I admit it, I’m just making excuses not to install this new version… maybe later.

any chance of installing it to a different directory, and thus having both? or, if powerdvd4 is still available…

Just tested the demo on another machine (that one doesnt have TV out) and obviously didnt get the error message about TV Out not being compatible … But its still as slow as treacle … Think Ill be saving my money till they sort it out, dont wanna waste $15 +VAT (damn the EU, A-Holes) for something that isnt working. I have no doubts they will fix these probs, but for now Ill keep my money in my pocket and carry on using PDVD4DLX

I tried PowerDVD 5 demo and ran very well and smooth on an AMD 1700XP. The picture colour is rather impressive (looks more natural) when I turn on its “CyberLink Eagle Vision”. They do warn in their setup that turning on the extra features such as this ‘Eagle Vision’ will put more strain on the CPU. I haven’t tried out its other new features such as new audio features, etc. as I only have two standard speakers on this system.:rolleyes:

One catch with this demo version: It will uninstall your previous licensed version and replace it with PowerDVD 5 demo version. :eek: The only way you can watch a full movie again is to uninstall the new demo version and reinstall your licensed copy, :confused: i.e. I got PowerDVD XP bundled with my new Samsung DVD-ROM drive.

Originally posted by BeLGaRaTh
[B]I tried the Demo version, and it keeps locking up my machine when trying to play a DVD, also gives some weird error about my TV out being incompatible, when I dont even use the TV Out :frowning:

I went back to 4 Deluxe. [/B]

I had this problem too, but not all the DVD has the problem, only some of the Copy-protect DVD have this problem, if you can’t play that DVD on PowerDVD, than, you can’t play it on realone, WMP too. What I’m guessing the problem is that the Copy-protect things on the DVD.

I’m using PowerDVD, and I think it’s just about the same as PowerDVD 4, the only thing that I hate about PowerDVD is that the movie sound is alway… tooo…low. (not loud)

Originally posted by FlyingDragon

I had this problem too, but not all the DVD has the problem, only some of the Copy-protect DVD have this problem, if you can’t play that DVD on PowerDVD, than, you can’t play it on realone, WMP too. What I’m guessing the problem is that the Copy-protect things on the DVD.

Thanks for clarifying that, thats probably what it is then as most of my DVDs are RCE … I wouldn’t let any REAL software anywhere near my PC, horrible, horrible software, I hate it with a passion. Yes, WMP can play them, sort of, but its not the same quality as a dedicated softDVD player, hence going back to PDVD4DLX.

edit

There is a fix for the volume problem by way of a registry entry, unfortunately I cannot attach it here, as files cannot be attached, nor can I post the it as CODE as the code tag is disabled :frowning: However I will copy/paste the .reg code, just copy/paste it yourself and make your own .reg file (call it DVD.reg or whatever) …

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD]
“UIAudEnvironemnt”=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD]
“master volume control”=dword:00000014

Hope that helps.

edit

Originally posted by FlyingDragon
I’m using PowerDVD, and I think it’s just about the same as PowerDVD 4, the only thing that I hate about PowerDVD is that the movie sound is alway… tooo…low. (not loud)

Thanks, man, But I’ll just stick with my original, I’ll just turn my volume higher, and when I finish watching it, I’ll turn it back to oringinal.
Anyway, Check my new threat, I think it will help

Digital-Digest just posted their new PowerDVD 5 review!