Who is having "read" problems with NEC 2500?

vbimport

Who else is having “read” issues with previously burned cdrw and dvd media on the nec 2500a?

I’m using stock firmware. The first media I tried to read with this drive was a cdrw that had backup date, which couldnt be read by this drive. I did manage to erase the disk and re-burn the same files with the 2500, and thereafter the disk had no reading problems.

Either I have a bad drive, quirky firmware, or the drive is ultra-sensitive to data errors on previously burned disks.

Also, when a disk cannot be read I’m getting a lot of errors in my event folder - run-> pagefileconfig

Warnng: An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation

OK, who doesn’t have a clue about how their dvd burner should act other than the fact that the DVD disappears and reappears when a button is pushed?

Well, as you know im having trouble with reading and writing some cd-media which used to be fine.

But i’ve contacted my supplier and he asked me to send the burner back to him to fix.

So i’ll do that and hope it helps.

Tommybj

I’m having all types of read problems with my 2500a. I’ve tried different media, different firmware (including the original firmware), etc. I’m getting read errors in DVDInfoPro, bad curves in Nero DriveSpeed, and high PI/PO errors in Ky’s Probe. I’m sending mine back to Newegg for a replacement. Are there any other issues (using nero 6.3.0.3) that may cause these types of problems? I have the 2500a as the secondary master, with a lite-on DVD-Rom as the secondard slave. I’ve tried at least 5 different type of media, some including the Maxell -4X manufactured in Japan and get bad restults every time. Also I can’t format a DVD+RW in DVDInfoPro. I get background errors and the program stops.

Please offer any suggestions; I’m hoping I just have a burner with a manufacturing defect.

Thanks for any help!!!

Originally posted by floben
[B]I’m having all types of read problems with my 2500a. I’ve tried different media, different firmware (including the original firmware), etc. I’m getting read errors in DVDInfoPro, bad curves in Nero DriveSpeed, and high PI/PO errors in Ky’s Probe. I’m sending mine back to Newegg for a replacement. Are there any other issues (using nero 6.3.0.3) that may cause these types of problems? I have the 2500a as the secondary master, with a lite-on DVD-Rom as the secondard slave. I’ve tried at least 5 different type of media, some including the Maxell -4X manufactured in Japan and get bad restults every time. Also I can’t format a DVD+RW in DVDInfoPro. I get background errors and the program stops.

Please offer any suggestions; I’m hoping I just have a burner with a manufacturing defect.

Thanks for any help!!! [/B]
You should get the drive replaced. Sounds defective to me.

Yes, the NEC ND-2500A is picky about media. Even tiny scratches is enough to make the reading fail.

Discs that works perfect in almost all other drives may fail in the NEC ND-2500A.

Still not had a problem with discs in perfect conditions though - only with discs in less than perfect condition.

someone else reported that even a small fingerprint was enough to cause a problem.

My NEC seems to have no problems reading scratched Audio or data CDs, pressed or burnt, and on one occasion it would read all the way up to 8x on a (DVD-R) disc where my Toshiba SD-R1802 DVD-ROM slowed down considerably at the end!

What kinds of discs are you having problems with?

I have burnt Sony cd-r without any problem… Works great!

Hi, I was having read problems with Nec2500 and I thought it was a weakness of this model, having poor error correction. :eek:

Today I changed the unit to try another one, and I discovered that it was just my unit to have this very strange problems… So to everyone who has got a unit which perfectly writes but poorly read, just change it… It should be damaged.

So to everyone who has got a unit which perfectly writes but poorly read, just change it… It should be damaged
I do not agree. Reviews of the drive have proved that the ND-2500 is a sub standard reader due to bad error correction capabilities. I have two drives myself (one was even exchanged due to write related problems) and all three had/have problems reading even lightly scratched media.

Well, I’ve been having problem with unscratched medias perfectly clean and just burnt by another unit ( Think Xtra Galaxy ). The unit I had before the new one used to give me redundancy data error reading .avi files from this TX DVD-R, now I can copy the file to hard disk with no problems. The firmwares of the units are the same and they have been both produced on January 2004.

At this point it is quite difficult to establish if the read errors which anyone can encounter are depending on poor read correction or bad unit, maybe mine was a quite unlucky one :confused:

Just got a good burn with media not readable.

I have a spindle with about 30 pcs. in and i took one from near bottom and it was recognized. I’ve burned 2 media, one at 32x and one at 8 speed. The one at 32x is not readable in burner but the 8x is readable every second time.

ATIP: 97m 17s 06f
Disc Manufacturer: Moser Baer India Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Looking at that i would not use NEC to make multisession cd-media, you dont know if you can burn to the media again. But mayby it depends at the media, ill try to make a burn on a Verbatim to see, if its getting better.

But im still impressed with writing at DVD-media. I have not had one single coaster yet.

Hi Tommy,

Congrats on your NEC drive :slight_smile: For DVD writing you made the right choice.

I have not experienced any problems writing to CD-R media at all - so I guess it’s your Moser Baer media that is not properly supported for the time being.

I purchased a 100 pcs spindle of PrimeDisc 48X CD-R from Nierle for DKR 200 and , like I said, they work like a charm. So you don’t have to buy expensive CD-R media for the NEC, just the right ones :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Peter

Hey Peter.

Your right about NEC being a excellent DVD writer.:iagree:

And your probably right about CD-media as well, but as I remember from OC-Freaks review off the burner he highly recommended Moser Bayer.:confused:

But after a firmwarechange from 1.06 only ripspeed unlocked to 1.06 RCP1 I have no problem with Moser Bayer, mayby only its still only recognize media after 2 attemps. And my Fuji is now recognized as well.

But mayby I’ll go for Primedisc next time.

But at which speed can you do a backup and still get burner to see it?

Hi Tommy,

I’m burning @32X

Cheers,
Peter

Just got new burner from supplier. The old one was faulty according to supplier.

Tested with all media not readable before and it’s just eating them.

I even tried to take a CD, added a lot of scratches(jumped on it on carpet) and tried again in DVDInfoPro and it read it all the way.

When i put in an emty media it’s only takes 5 seconds to recognize it.
It used to be about 20 seconds to recognize it so thats much better.

So now i have a good burner and reader and are very pleased.:iagree:

Glad to see your new 2500A is a better reader Tommybj!

After reading these posts I decided to do a few read tests with my 2500A.
I tried 3 discs (one of which was scratched up) that were burnt using 3 different burners and the 2500A was able to read the discs without any problems! :slight_smile:

Not the slightest of read problems on my 2500 here :bigsmile:

Originally posted by floben
[B]I’m having all types of read problems with my 2500a. I’ve tried different media, different firmware (including the original firmware), etc. I’m getting read errors in DVDInfoPro, bad curves in Nero DriveSpeed, and high PI/PO errors in Ky’s Probe. I’m sending mine back to Newegg for a replacement. Are there any other issues (using nero 6.3.0.3) that may cause these types of problems? I have the 2500a as the secondary master, with a lite-on DVD-Rom as the secondard slave. I’ve tried at least 5 different type of media, some including the Maxell -4X manufactured in Japan and get bad restults every time. Also I can’t format a DVD+RW in DVDInfoPro. I get background errors and the program stops.

Thanks for any help!!! [/B]

Have you tried other burning software? Nero had have some problems with 2500a. Some people have had better results with Recordnow