Who bought a new car -with cash for clunkers deal?

vbimport

I am hearing that those who got a cash for clunker new car will be getting a 1099 from the dealer and have to pay taxs on the incentive :frowning:

dont know if this is true or not .but if so a lot of buyers will be upset come tax time !

http://www.cars.gov/faq#category-06

I bought a clunker. A 1998 Subaru Legacy L Wagon AWD with 124K original miles in like new condition about 2 mos. ago. I paid $2100 for it. It runs like a charm and I get around 25 mpg with it. I now have 2 of the exact same cars, same year, same color, the other one has 245,000 miles on it, and it too runs like a charm, I have owned the first one for 9 years.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2467583]I bought a clunker. A 1998 Subaru Legacy L Wagon AWD with 124K original miles in like new condition about 2 mos. ago.[/QUOTE]

That Subaru Legacy with 124K isn’t even broken in good yet. :bigsmile: I have a friend that bought a brand new
Subaru Legacy back in 1998 and it has well over 375K mostly highway miles on it and it is still going strong
and looks and runs as good as it did the day he went and bought it straight off the showroom floor and the
only thing that has ever been done to it is regular maintenance. :iagree:

Can’t afford a new car and all my clunkers are too old and worth too much money to let them crush them anyways. I can see trading in a barely running POS that qualified but some folks were turning in perfectly good cars with low miles that appeared to run and look great :a
A great way to force more low income folks to go into debt to buy a car when the affordable older models are all crushed, also makes it harder to get parts for your older car as well.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2467660]Can’t afford a new car and all my clunkers are too old and worth too much money to let them crush them anyways. I can see trading in a barely running POS that qualified but some folks were turning in perfectly good cars with low miles that appeared to run and look great :a
A great way to force more low income folks to go into debt to buy a car when the affordable older models are all crushed, also makes it harder to get parts for your older car as well.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your statement.

My Subaru’s aren’t sexy or flashy ( mine are both that really deep Dark Green, almost like British Racing Green ) but they never get stuck in snow ( I live in Connecticut) and my son who is 9 likes the idea that he may end up with the lower mileage Subaru, as he has developed an emotional attachment to these cars he has been in his whole life. Their gas mileage is not too far off what some supposedly good mileage crossovers are getting either. I hauled a 1,500 lb. Milling machine in my Subaru once (in was in pieces of course) and I can carry 5, 4’ x 8’ plywood sheets in it, albeit the rear hatch remains open, but most of the wood is inside the wagon.

I took advantage of the CARS program to rid myself of the gas hog Chevy Blazer that I had which needed a minimum of $3K work in a paint job and some brake work (ABS).

After taking the monthly payment difference, the MPG difference, and the warranty/lack of paying for anything other than routine maintenance, I’m saving $100 a month.