White port in graphics card broken?

vbimport

when my dell lcd monitor is plugged to my geforce 8300 via the white signal socket, nothing shows up, but when plugged to the usual blue socket, the monitor works.

is it possible for the socket onboard the card to break? or is it my monitor’s socket that’s broken?

my gfx card is 3 months old. so is my monitor.

many thanks for the help.

Take the card and try it in another computer and see if the DVI connectors works and do the same for the monitor plug that into another DVI card and see if that works. What version of Nvidia driver are you using?

Switch your monitor to use the DVI port, it might not be automatic.

You need to have the dvi cable connected & plugged in when you turn the computer on, otherwise it defaults to the old 15pin d-sub VGA connector.

i’ve always had my monitor plugged to my pc via the white port, one morning when i turn it on i just ger the (red green blue) message.

the pins ain’t broken neither on the lcd nor the display card. everything is brand new, only three months old. there was one instances where when running 3dmark the screen goes black (mon still on) and i receive a message vista has just recover the display driver from a serious error, that was just little over a month ago.

the thing is, when i plug my monitor to the white port while my pc is off, then when i actually turn the pc on, the pc would hum for about 5 second without the beep sound or the bios booting, then it would turn itself off again, and before you know it it turns itself back on again…HOWEVER, when i plug the monitor to the blue port instead and restart my pc, the pc boots normally asif nothing happened, that is until i plug the monitor BACK to the white port and turn on my pc again and then the on and off thing would reoccur again.

my pc AND monitor are brand new dell desktop set purchased 3 months ago, i do not know how to service my own pc, and since i moved from the country where i purchased my dell and did not purchased any additional warrenty, i would assume i’m screwed.

EDITED: found this

http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/28871be698aa076f

they mentioned board but my display card is on the pcie slot, don’t really understand what they’re saying T_T

please help.

[QUOTE=debro;2174202]Switch your monitor to use the DVI port, it might not be automatic.

You need to have the dvi cable connected & plugged in when you turn the computer on, otherwise it defaults to the old 15pin d-sub VGA connector.[/QUOTE]
:iagree:

Unplug the 15pin D-Sub cable also.

Do you have access to another DVI cable?

debro, i’m so glad you’re here!

15pin is the blue one right? yup i always only leave one cable plugged to my card/monitor.

i tried another cable, still same old.

but the pc refusing to boot and turning on and off thing only happens when i have the the white port plugged, whenever i plug back good old blue to teh card, the pc would boot happily. i’ve tried this many times, it’s just like that, i don;t know why…

Might be a silly question, but have you tried pulling the video card out & pushing it back in … it might have slipped out enough to cause problems, but not enough to notice, during your travels :wink:

i have no experience in servicing my pc, but i did open the lid to take a look, my card seemed to have glued to the pcie slot, i don’t want to snap the whole thing…because i’m kind of a mindless brute… >_<

right now my dell mon is plugged to the blue port and works just fine, and the card works when i run some graphic intensive programs, but i thought the image quality wasn’t as good as it was, or is that just me?

[QUOTE=ilovecookies;2178900]i have no experience in servicing my pc, but i did open the lid to take a look, my card seemed to have glued to the pcie slot, i don’t want to snap the whole thing…because i’m kind of a mindless brute… >_<

right now my dell mon is plugged to the blue port and works just fine, and the card works when i run some graphic intensive programs, but i thought the image quality wasn’t as good as it was, or is that just me?[/QUOTE]

Just make sure you got the right GPU card drivers program and also since you have a LCD make sure you get M$ cleartype driver for your LCD to improve the screen display.

but the problem now is i can’t tell weather it’s the gfx card’s dvi port that’s broken or the dell monitor’s.

the mon works fine when it’s plugged to the blue port. when i plug it to dvi and turn on my pc, i would get the “red green blue self test” message from the monitor, and my pc itself would turn off then on again. the problem never reoccurs once i plug the mon back to the blue port.

please help.

thank you.

$5 DVI to VGA (and/or vice versa) adapters? :wink:

Unfortunately, I believe this will only test the analogue part of the DVI on the respective device.