Which wireless network card is better and why

vbimport

Or

Both the same distance from the router, one performs 65mbps and the other 40.5mbps. Can you guess which one and why?

One of your links only points out a chipset used in many cards, not the card itself. Wouldn’t want to advise you to get an Atheros-based card and have you get a terrible one. :wink: So can you share the links to each of the cards you intend to buy?

[The second screenshot does have a model name of an actual card, but I’d like to make sure it’s the right card). :slight_smile:

I already have both lol, is it not possible to deterime which one is better from the current specs?

Well, the Atheros AR9285 chip supports only up to 150 mbps .11n, while the Ralink RT3062 (in the Edimax EW-7722In) supports 300 mbps .11n. But that doesn’t really address all possible reasons…

How are the cards configured? What make and model of card uses the Atheros chipset? [We don’t know exactly what wireless card it is. Multiple manufacturers use the same wireless chip, and the manufacturer can have a great impact on the quality/performance of their product]. Also, which card performs better than the other? Do they both have the antennae behind the computer (directly on the PCI card), or does the Atheros-based card have wires leading to its antenna(e) located farther away from the computer? Do they both report the same signal strength? Are you using 802.11g? .11n? What kind of router are the cards connecting to?

There are multiple things that can change wireless performance, and you have to be sure to take everything into consideration. :iagree:

(A reminder to self…)

There was a website I found back in 2010 that listed all radio-chipsets for most every adapter and router. I need to re-locate that.

[QUOTE=matty4796;2658197]I already have both lol, is it not possible to deterime which one is better from the current specs?[/QUOTE]

If you already have both, and have tested them then [I]you[/I] should tell [I]us[/I] which one is better for you. It could prove to be a valuable resource for our community. Wireless networking has so many variables that it would be impossible to determine from a catalog listing or even another person’s experience with a particular device what is ‘better’. Really, the only given, is that any wired connection is going to be more dependable and faster than wireless. And even then someone is bound to mention 10baseT…:stuck_out_tongue:

Well the atheros performs better, I asked you guys to guess for fun and asked why so I could find out what to look for in a better network pci card

Atheros-based devices seem to have strong performance in general, while Ralink doesn’t always have the best performance. Still, it really does depend on not only the chipset, but also on the actual manufacturer of the card, how the card is designed, etc. Also, the quality of the antenna(e) might help, as would the number of antennae. Certain cards may also be designed to work using more power for better performance, or drivers may be configured by default to use less power than the maximum supported by a given WiFi device. Even the quality of the drivers may determine whether one card works better than another.

[QUOTE=matty4796;2658269]Well the atheros performs better, I asked you guys to guess for fun and asked why so I could find out what to look for in a better network pci card[/QUOTE]

Asking for fun??? Are you seriously kidding? PCI cards speeds are based on the router and your ISP bandwidth regardless of what PCI cards you have 10 or 100 or 1Gig your speeds will only go as fast as the ISP gives you no matter what kinda pf PCI card you have. There are limits to asking but when someone ask something like that I think a few screws are loose. If you want help ask and if your just beating around the bush ask that in the living forum. And leave the proper forums for those coming to ask for real help.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2658251] Really, the only given, is that any wired connection is going to be more dependable and faster than wireless. And even then someone is bound to mention 10baseT…:p[/QUOTE]
More reliable, for sure ;]

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2658334] There are limits to asking but when someone ask something like that I think a few screws are loose. If you want help ask and if your just beating around the bush ask that in the living forum. And leave the proper forums for those coming to ask for real help.[/QUOTE]

Well, why is that so bad? I just like discussing technology so I’m all for these kind of questions. You don’t have to answer them, but you are welcome for sure :flower:

Also be aware that a add-in card with removable antennas is good … can upgrade with a triad of 10-16dbi antennas to get some more range/better signal out of your access point.

I added a triad of 10dBi Directional Antenna’s to my 802.11n access point, and it increased the data transmission speed by 30% at a distance of 10 metres, and also increased the (usable) range by about 15 metres … without going into reliability/stability of the network … it’s much better than the stock 4dBi antennas which seem popular.

In regards to other peoples networks … not sure. I’d expect that my extended range network now stomps all over theirs … but that’s ok (for me) :stuck_out_tongue: