Which VirtualDub filter for VHS output

Hi dear experts:flower:,
As I regularly do it if I’m not at home when a good movie is broadcasted on TV nets, I recently recorded one on my VHS.
Surprize, surprize, when I tried to watch it, the screen is filled by red and green pixels lines giving a very bad quality image. Ultimate surprize : the commercials are perfectly clean !!! :confused:
Using some VirtualDub standard filters, I tried to filter out this “video bakground noise” without success. :sad:
Being a newbee in video enhancement, I’m not sure that I choosed the right filters and settings.
Q1 : For my understanding, can anybody explain why the commercials are correct and not the movie itself?
Q2 : Which filter(s) / setting(s) could be used to get a clean image? … if any.

Thanks beforehand for your help :bow:

It would seem that the content is copy protected, obiously the commercials are not. To my knowledge there is no VirtualDub filter that will remove the copy protection, sorry.

Is it possible to copy-protect video broadcasted over the air or cable so that you can’t make a vhs copy? And this can be selective to the movie and not the ads in between? I didn’t know that!

Probably Macrovision protection; it’s a signal embedded in the broadcast that doesn’t affect the picture on the TV, but interferes with the VHS writing mechanism. You can use a simple electronic filter between the aerial and your VHS recorder to remove the protection, but there is no way (AFAIK) to recover already recorded material that has this problem; the data has been corrupted.

You can build a filter yourself if you’re that way inclined (parts from maplin/radioshack/RS Components etc.) or buy them pre-made.

Slainte

midders

Probably Macrovision protection; it’s a signal embedded in the broadcast that doesn’t affect the picture on the TV, but interferes with the VHS writing mechanism.
Thanx for the heads up - did not know one could embed macrovision protection over the air. Not implemented in my part of the world. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your explanations, :bow: , I learned something too.