Which video format to store files?

Whats the best format to store video / footage / clips?

I normally store in mpeg1 format but i noticed avi, rm and wmv is smaller.

Also i find: avi loses quality when stored on CD/DVD, wmv is slow to play, mpeg1 and 2 takes more space than avi and wmv, rm not sure.

With wmv you cant see the preview in the folder before playing the file in a media player.

And the nice thing about mpeg is it can be easily edited with mpeg software but i havent seen/found avi or wmv editing software so what i usually do is have to convert avi and wmv to mpeg to edit.

What would you recommend ?

you can use AVS video converter, you can converter between avi, mpeg, wmv and rm.
good luck

Quality wise it is best to store the video files in it’s original format. Every conversion reduces the quality. For instance if you have filmed with a DV camera you can only store 20 minutes on a single layer DVD as a data file without conversion, but you keep the original quality.

I don’t understand why storing an avi on CD or DVD will reduce the quality. If you burn it as a data disc then you get an exact copy of the original file.

If you want a nice viewing format I recommend DVD-Video compatible MPEG-2. Almost every computer and every standalone DVD player can play this format. If you want small files then XviD is a nice format.

I think that MKV is overall the best format to store them. you can keep the best quality for the minimum space requirement, and all of the programs to play/convert the files are all free.

[QUOTE=BGAL7090;2585085]I think that MKV is overall the best format to store them. you can keep the best quality for the minimum space requirement, and all of the programs to play/convert the files are all free.[/QUOTE]

First off, Welcome to the forum. MKV is not a format per se, rather it’s a container that can store many different video formats (including MPEG2, straight from a DVD). Perhaps you were referring to AVC or H.264 in an MKV as being the ‘best’ format. This is perhaps true from a storage standpoint. However storage these days is cheap and I agree with the previous posters that it’s best not to convert. Besides which, AVC was not even an option 4 or 5 years ago when this thread was started…