Which version Windows 7 64 Bit, Full,OEM or Upgrade?

vbimport

On which Win7 PROFESSIONAL 64 Bit version to get??? The OEM versions are cheaper, and I noticed a few have SP1 (service pack 1) and other versions do not. I am not a system builder, just someone who wants to go from 3.3 DDR2 RAM in WIN 32BIT XP HOME ED, to WINDOWS 7 64 BIT version.

Will spending more money on the FULL Non - OEM version allow me to do anything different than just getting the OEM? FREE MICROSOFT SUPPORT?? I think Not.

In going to COSTCO, they only have the Upgrade versions for $190.00.

In going to FRY’S Electronics, they have something like this >

“Windows 7pro 64 bit (FULL) System Builder OEM”. For $129.99.

I thought there is the FULL version, and then you have the OEM version, with little or no support. I have been using Windows XP Home OEM from Fry’s.

Thank you! :clap:

[QUOTE=rivrbyte;2593846]On which Win7 PROFESSIONAL 64 Bit version to get??? The OEM versions are cheaper, and I noticed a few have SP1 (service pack 1) and other versions do not. I am not a system builder, just someone who wants to go from 3.3 DDR2 RAM in WIN 32BIT XP HOME ED, to WINDOWS 7 64 BIT version.

Will spending more money on the FULL Non - OEM version allow me to do anything different than just getting the OEM? FREE MICROSOFT SUPPORT?? I think Not.

In going to [B]COSTCO[/B], they only have the Upgrade versions for $190.00.

In going to [B]FRY’S Electronics[/B], they have something like this >

I thought there is the FULL version, and then you have the OEM version, with little or no support. I have been using Windows XP Home OEM from Fry’s.

Thank you! :clap:[/QUOTE]

I would say go Newegg and get the w7x64sp1 that will have more of the udpates for you. If you going to go to Fry’s make sure your getting the right O/S. Just saying full system builder OEM doesn’t say which version. It should say either Professional or Ultimate and not "Full system builder OEM. And my last check on their site doesn’t list

anywhere so not quite sure where your getting that version.

It’s there: http://www.frys.com/category/Outpost/Electronic+Components/Computer+Components/OEM+Software/Operating+Systems/

I think you do get a couple of free support calls with Microsoft if you buy the retail versions. The license terms are more restrictive with the system builder version, and it can’t be used to do an in-place upgrade over an older OS (but really, who does that anyway) but otherwise they are functionally the same. If you’re not planning to change your hardware, go with the cheaper system builder version. Of course there’s always the TechNet Subscription option :smiley:

I’d go for the System Builder version and stay clear from the overpriced “Upgrade” versions.

Michael

Yo-

I just purchased Win7 Professional 64 bit Branded Version (works on any computer) from:

www.softwaresupplygroup.com through www.PriceWatch.com

for $84.99 shipped-eh!!