Which Verbatim Dvds are better?

vbimport

so here in good’ol australia we have quite a few different types of Verbatim DVD packaging. Which would be the best ones to get? Can anyone post pics of the cakebox or spindle design?

here are some that i have seen so far:

^^ Theres also a DVD-R version of this. package looks the same just -R

So here are my questions:

1. So are the printable and normal DVDs made in separate plants, and if so which are better? i don’t have a disc printer or anything so the disc surface does not really does not worry me, only disc quality.

2. I also heard that i should be looking for the Made in Taiwan discs over the Made in Japan discs as well, is that true?

3. What about +R or -R in terms of these Verbatims?

4. 100 or 50 pack?

The third pic from the top, the spindle with the blue shrink wrap is Taiyo Yuden made. These are the ones to go for, if you can find them.
Made in Japan is better than Made in Taiwan. Period. Because the only main company left AFAIK that manufactures there is TY. I have some Sony MIJ 16x discs, but all the ones I see now are MIT, as they are manufacturing in Taiwan now as well.
You used to be able to figure out who manufactures the discs (ie: Prodisc or CMC) from the spindle design, but that’s no longer possible because I’ve bought CMC-made discs in a Prodisc spindle a couple of times. So now it’s a lottery!
With Verbs, +R has always been considered better than -R, but either way you’re getting a quality disc, especially considering how cheap they are these days. But if you have the choice, +R is the go.

PS: The 100 packs are cheap as in Tandy at the moment!

1. Printables and non-printable discs are made at the same plants, so there should be no difference in quality.

2. The Made in Japan discs are actually Taiyo Yuden media branded as Verbatim. The general consensus seems to be that Mitsubishi’s own 16x media is better than Taiyo Yuden’s, but you may just have to try both types for yourself.

3. Either format should be fine, especially with your Pioneer.

4. Depends on how many discs you need.

[QUOTE=kahnmeister;2025088]Made in Japan is better than Made in Taiwan. Period. [/QUOTE]

I would have to disagree with this statement, especially when it involves Mitsubishi MIT vs Taiyo Yuden MIJ. I’ve gotten better results with MCC003 made in Taiwan than YUDEN000T02 made in Japan, for instance. Also MIT MCC004 and MCC03RG20 tend to do much better in my experience than MIJ TYG03.

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2025092]I would have to disagree with this statement, especially when it involves Mitsubishi MIT vs Taiyo Yuden MIJ. I’ve gotten better results with MCC003 made in Taiwan than YUDEN000T02 made in Japan, for instance. Also MIT MCC004 and MCC03RG20 tend to do much better in my experience than MIJ TYG03.[/QUOTE]

I say this because from my experience, the TY’s variation in quality is much less than that of the Verb’s, especially when you can’t tell who they’re made by these days until after you open them… Though if you get a good batch of Verb’s then yes, they would be hard to beat.

Verbatim-branded Taiyo Yuden DVD+R & -R is subpar compared to the typical Verbatim MCC media and Taiyo Yuden under other brands [read: you get some of your worst TY from Verbatim, sometimes; your worst Verbatim will be that made by TY, sometimes]. So you’ll definitely want to go for the made in Taiwan stuff when it comes to buying Verbatim.

[QUOTE=Albert;2025098]Verbatim-branded Taiyo Yuden DVD+R & -R is subpar compared to the typical Verbatim MCC media and Taiyo Yuden under other brands [read: you get some of your worst TY from Verbatim, sometimes; your worst Verbatim will be that made by TY, sometimes]. [/QUOTE]

I’ve read about this a fair bit, does TY intentionally sell sub-par media to Verbatim to ruin their rep, so that they can get ahead??

That debate goes on in threads such as: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/very-bad-results-verbatim-branded-t03-scans-new-packaging-238882/

Well it all depends on what discs MKM wants and are willing to pay to TY. Some companies get the first shots of a production like Panasonic or Plextor and other companies are happy with the later shots. If you look at the price you will find out that most likely the Panasonic or Plextor ones cost a little more than others.

For 8X -R Verbatim brand TYG02 is equivalent to TY’s ValueLine, it may still be true for 16X ones.

[QUOTE=kahnmeister;2025088]Made in Japan is better than Made in Taiwan. Period[/QUOTE]

I agree , but MIT Verbatim (the good batches) are excellent as well as CMC MAG E01 and even OPTODISC media I tried , so every rule has an exception :wink:

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2025091]

1. The Made in Japan discs are actually Taiyo Yuden media branded as Verbatim. The general consensus seems to be that Mitsubishi’s own 16x media is better than Taiyo Yuden’s, but you may just have to try both types for yourself.

[/QUOTE]

True

[QUOTE=kahnmeister;2025097]I say this because from my experience, the [B]TY’s variation in quality is much less than that of the Verb’s[/B], especially when you can’t tell who they’re made by these days until after you open them… Though if you get a good batch of Verb’s then yes, they would be hard to beat.[/QUOTE]

Wholeheartedly agree :iagree:

That’s why I would by more Panasonic TYG03 than Verbatim , and also because actually MIJ Panasonics are 1$ less than Verbatims in 25 disc packs

so pretty much i buy whatever Verbatims i feel like and whatever’s on sale.

50/100 and inkjet/non inkjet are the same.

Just as long as they are Made in Taiwan it’s fine?

anything i should look for interms of packaging?

TYG03 and YUDEN000 T03 generally has higher PIF counts than MCC 03RG20 or MCC 004, but I have also seen disaster batches of MCC with horrid PIF counts as well.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Forget about the Made In Japan ones. They don’t work as well and always seem to burn with higher errors.

My recommendation is to get +R 16x ones. They’ve got the best chance to be really good.

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;2025416]TYG03 and YUDEN000 T03 generally has higher PIF counts than MCC 03RG20 or MCC 004, but I have also seen disaster batches of MCC with horrid PIF counts as well.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD[/QUOTE]

I got all of them :sad:

[QUOTE=kahnmeister;2025088]

PS: The 100 packs are cheap as in Tandy at the moment![/QUOTE]

How much are the Tandy ones atm? i hope i can still get some tomorrow if they are a good buy!

Also, for those in Australia, Aldi sell Verbatim DVDs and CDs. Are they any good?

i’m a lil bit skeptical about buying from Aldi at times, thinking they have got bad batches and stuff like that especially with non-food products… (some food is quite decent tho :p)

[QUOTE=nismohks;2025490]How much are the Tandy ones atm? i hope i can still get some tomorrow if they are a good buy!

Also, for those in Australia, Aldi sell Verbatim DVDs and CDs. Are they any good?

i’m a lil bit skeptical about buying from Aldi at times, thinking they have got bad batches and stuff like that especially with non-food products… (some food is quite decent tho :p)[/QUOTE]

Haven’t bought any Verbs from Aldi, but the CD-R’s are Made in Malaysia, same as the ones I saw in JB Hifi the other day. Haven’t seen DVD media there tho.

Pretty sure the Tandy ones are like 32 bucks for 100pk…

Aldi sells cheap Tevion media in Europe, but if they sell Verbies in Australia it should be good. (It’s fine to be skeptical about their non-food products, though. They are usually cheap, sometimes great buys but but sometimes you just get what you pay for…)

Malaysian made CD-R could be Daxon (BenQ) which is decent for everyday use and work copies n stuff like that.

I have used all the above types and never had any real issues with any of them, i think this is more down to personal preference or certain people have certain drives which may burn one brand of verbs better than another.

Verbatim is still one of the best medias you can buy arguing about which is the l33t3st (as the kids say) is a bit silly IMO chances are any of those verbs will serve you very well :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=CAKEY;2026309]Verbatim is still one of the best medias you can buy arguing about which is the l33t3st (as the kids say) is a bit silly IMO chances are any of those verbs will serve you very well :)[/QUOTE]

Amen. With the price of Verb’s here in oz these days, being no more then cheapo media, i’d rather buy the absolute worst batch ever of Verb’s, then use anything from Laser :Z