Which Verbatim DVD+R for PS2?

vbimport

Hi.

I have BenQ DW1655 and I want to buy some DVD+R medias for my Sony PlayStation 2 console. In my country there is very big amount of Verbatims - it’s hard to get other good brand medias. Which Verbatim DVD+R can you recommend me for my console and recorder?

I recorded on Verbatim DVD-R @ x8 and there is what I get. :open_mouth:

Very poor write.
Is that normal? I hear that BenQ is a crap when recording on DVD-R.

Ok, but that’s not a meritum. Which Verbatims should I use? Taiyo Yuden, Moser Baer, CMC, Prodisc? Taiwan, Japan, India? I want the best write quality and compatibility with my console. Thanks for the answer in advance.

That’s not a bad burn. It’s actually quite good. Try a scan at 8x instead of 4x, too. :wink:

You might want to take a look at this: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/f-q-benq-philips-optical-drives-revised-may-2007-a-138436/#media-rec

Do your current burns work? If so, I see no reason to change. :disagree:

Thanks for the answer. Sure, not bad burn, but always can be better. :slight_smile: I don’t know why I get so many PIE errors on MCC DVD-R media, too many. Is that normal on BenQ DW1655? Maybe really there is no sense to change recorder.

And coming back to meritum. Which Verbatim DVD+R is the best? Taiyo Yuden, Moser Baer, CMC, Prodisc? Taiwan, Japan, India? It’s most important for me.

[QUOTE=rotflmao;2117204]Is that normal on BenQ DW1655?[/QUOTE]It’s normal for Verbatim DVD-R on some drives…but you have super-low PIF throughout most of the disc, so it’s not THAT much of a concern. I really wouldn’t bother messing with burns that good.

And coming back to meritum. Which Verbatim DVD+R is the best? Taiyo Yuden, Moser Baer, CMC, Prodisc? Taiwan, Japan, India? It’s most important for me.

Taiwan by CMC, at the moment. Most Verbatim +R will be good, though, so don’t be disappointed if you can’t find the specific make you want.

[QUOTE=rotflmao;2117204]Thanks for the answer. Sure, not bad burn, but always can be better. :slight_smile: I don’t know why I get so many PIE errors on MCC DVD-R media, too many. Is that normal on BenQ DW1655? Maybe really there is no sense to change recorder.

And coming back to meritum. Which Verbatim DVD+R is the best? Taiyo Yuden, Moser Baer, CMC, Prodisc? Taiwan, Japan, India? It’s most important for me.[/QUOTE]

High PIE levels exhibited in scans of recent Verbatim DVD-R media (MCC03RG20) are common, although I seldom reach 500,000 with my LG or Samsung burners at 8x. It’s the PIFs that’s more important in scans, and judging from your scan, it is good as Albert pointed out.

As for Verbatims, the current consensus for the “best” is problematic, as Moser Baer (MBI), CMC, and Prodisc make discs almost on par with each other, the exception is that Taiyo Yuden Verbatims are not that good as real Taiyo Yudens - take it with a grain of salt though, although many avoid these and get real TY instead. Others say that MBI is making good discs now that they’ve gotten the kinks out of their system. Others also say that Prodisc Verbs are getting worse (somewhat poorer recently, from experience). CMC - no problems so far. So the TY vs MBI vs CMC vs Prodisc and Taiwan vs Japan vs India “best Verbatim” moniker is unsure at best, although I’ve gotten consistent results from CMC Verbatims and I’ve got nothing to complain about them.

From what I’ve gotten from this forum, if you really want the absolute best Verbatim DVD+R, you should be looking for Made in Singapore 8x DVD+R SL - media that’s virtually non-existent now. As for MCC004 DVD blanks, you yourself would be a better judge of how these discs from different manufacturers would fare with your hardware. All that I could tell you (surely) is that MCC004 DVD+Rs are much better in the PIE/PIF aspect of scanning than MCC03RG20 DVD-Rs from Verbatim, and MBI-India/CMC-Taiwan/Prodisc-Taiwan(/TY-Japan) wouldn’t matter much as these discs are worth every penny and perform rather similar except in scans. Scans are not definitive proof of the quality of discs, and you’ve shown a pretty good scan anyhow. I don’t know how better it could be except for using MCC04 DVD+R or 8x Taiyo Yudens.

[QUOTE=Albert;2117313]
Taiwan by CMC, at the moment.[/QUOTE]

I’d add the Made in India by MBIL to that - never had a problem with them.

I’d worry that the higher error levels of MIJ Verbies (at least the ones I’ve used, both -R and +R) might be a bit much for a picky PS2, but then I don’t own a PS2 LOL :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2117326]I’d add the Made in India by MBIL to that - never had a problem with them.[/QUOTE]Indeed. :slight_smile:

I’d worry that the higher error levels of MIJ Verbies (at least the ones I’ve used, both -R and +R) might be a bit much for a picky PS2, but then I don’t own a PS2 LOL
Indeed, also. But force-feeding them to the PS2 could work. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2117330]But force-feeding them to the PS2 could work. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that’s just plain evil :bigsmile: